Which rivalry is the biggst in division II?

BAEagleFootball

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBA-BA is more like what Tennessee-Alabama used to be before all the legal shennanigans cast a cloud over it. Two storied programs with loads of respect for one another and the titles to go with it.

You talking about Alabama's past probation, or the Tennessee one that's a couple of years down the pike? :popcorneater:

MBA-EHS is sort of like Michigan-Michigan St, or maybe UVA- Va Tech. One is a glorious, proud, tradition-rich institution and the other is the obnoxious, up-start little brother you are forced to play every year, whether you want to or not.

Ummm who has won the past two years? Get over yourself.

what does that have to do with anything? I guess Independence is also our biggest rival since they won the last game we played with them.

MBA-EHS is sort of like Michigan-Michigan St, or maybe UVA- Va Tech. One is a glorious, proud, tradition-rich institution and the other is the obnoxious, up-start little brother you are forced to play every year, whether you want to or not.

Ummm who has won the past two years? Get over yourself.

what does that have to do with anything? I guess Independence is also our biggest rival since they won the last game we played with them.

EHS/MBA is a great rivalry fueled by the fact that many of the people involved with kick starting EHS were a part of the MBA family for a long time. To refer to a team that has whipped MBA two years in a row and played them close three years ago as the "obnoxious, up-start little brother" kinda comes off as...dumb, childish, I don't know, a whole number of things. I always loved playing EHS and have nothing but respect for them. When we played it was just a good natured, intense kinda rivalry between two good teams without alot of the trash talk you usually see. I'm guessing you're "thoughts" don't represent MBA as a whole though so I'm not too worried about it

Legendary Coach Bobby Bowden was once asked what he thought about Tennessee High School Football on a recruiting trip.. He said the first thing that came to mind was the McCallie-Baylor rivalry. He said the game may not always feature the greatest talent in the state, but the hate for each other is as great as he's seen. So there you go, coming from the man himself!

EHS/MBA is a great rivalry fueled by the fact that many of the people involved with kick starting EHS were a part of the MBA family for a long time. To refer to a team that has whipped MBA two years in a row and played them close three years ago as the "obnoxious, up-start little brother" kinda comes off as...dumb, childish, I don't know, a whole number of things. I always loved playing EHS and have nothing but respect for them. When we played it was just a good natured, intense kinda rivalry between two good teams without a lot of the trash talk you usually see. I'm guessing you're "thoughts" don't represent MBA as a whole though so I'm not too worried about it

Actually his thoughts represent a fairly large contingent of the MBA community. The win-loss record in a series has little correlation to the degree of a rivalry. Also, the "many MBA supporters involved in kicking off EHS" is actually a quite small number of very vocal individuals than what an uniformed outsider would be led to believe. If you look at the matriculation of EMS students to MBA and the number of EMS alums (who then went on to MBA/HH) who are now enrolling their children at schools other than EMS, you will see that there are plenty of people who don't agree with the vocal minority.

I would rank MBA's rivals in the order of:

1. Ryan

2. BA

3. EHS

Could EHS work it's way up that list over time? Sure, we'll see what happens

MBA-BA is more like what Tennessee-Alabama used to be before all the legal shennanigans cast a cloud over it. Two storied programs with loads of respect for one another and the titles to go with it.

You talking about Alabama's past probation, or the Tennessee one that's a couple of years down the pike? :thumb:

No. Most likely the probation that Alabama will eventually be on again.

EHS/MBA is a great rivalry fueled by the fact that many of the people involved with kick starting EHS were a part of the MBA family for a long time. To refer to a team that has whipped MBA two years in a row and played them close three years ago as the "obnoxious, up-start little brother" kinda comes off as...dumb, childish, I don't know, a whole number of things. I always loved playing EHS and have nothing but respect for them. When we played it was just a good natured, intense kinda rivalry between two good teams without alot of the trash talk you usually see. I'm guessing you're "thoughts" don't represent MBA as a whole though so I'm not too worried about it

Well I appreciate "you're" taking the time out of "you're" day to show me the light. And you're right on the money, I don't represent all of MBA in my posts. My guess is, you figured, how could one guy speak on behalf of hundreds of people who graduated from that school over the years? Many of whom he probably doesn't even know? How could he? Nicely done, so you're definitely wise not to be too worried about my opinions, at least as far as representing all of MBA.

earlier post:

Actually his thoughts represent a fairly large contingent of the MBA community. The win-loss record in a series has little correlation to the degree of a rivalry. Also, the "many MBA supporters involved in kicking off EHS" is actually a quite small number of very vocal individuals than what an uniformed outsider would be led to believe. If you look at the matriculation of EMS students to MBA and the number of EMS alums (who then went on to MBA/HH) who are now enrolling their children at schools other than EMS, you will see that there are plenty of people who don't agree with the vocal minority.

I would rank MBA's rivals in the order of:

1. Ryan

2. BA

3. EHS

Could EHS work it's way up that list over time? Sure, we'll see what happens

I am a member of both the MBA and EHS communities. I have no idea to what MBA "contingent" and "vocal minority" you refer. Students? Or parents?

EHS is new enough that the kids there consider almost every other local school a rival. Rather than an "obnoxious" sibling, EHS has a positive atmosphere where students show have little tolerance for belitting of others.

You have your "matriculation" facts wrong. EMS (Ensworth Middle School) sends between 80 to 90 percent of its graduates each year to EHS. The traditional, pre-EHS kids who leave after 6th grade to go to MBA, boarding school or any other school have dropped dramatically since EHS opened seven years ago. Anyone in admissions at EMS would be happy to give you more history and details.

As for rivalries, I'm guessing that you, to be so concerned with where its middle school students "matriculate," consider Ensworth a pretty big threat -- the fact remains that MBA is casting a much wider net than ever, and is proud to include kids from more zip codes than ever before. I'm sure anyone in admissions at MBA would be happy to fill you in.

And by the way, almost everyone involved in starting EHS is an MBA alum or parent. I sure hope to see you and the MBA team at the playoffs in November! I'll be on the orange side. Maybe you don't consider MBA-EHS a true rivalry but I would bet the crowd at a state playoff game would come close to breaking attendance records.

earlier post:

I am a member of both the MBA and EHS communities. I have no idea to what MBA "contingent" and "vocal minority" you refer. Students? Or parents?

EHS is new enough that the kids there consider almost every other local school a rival. Rather than an "obnoxious" sibling, EHS has a positive atmosphere where students show have little tolerance for belitting of others.

You have your "matriculation" facts wrong. EMS (Ensworth Middle School) sends between 80 to 90 percent of its graduates each year to EHS. The traditional, pre-EHS kids who leave after 6th grade to go to MBA, boarding school or any other school have dropped dramatically since EHS opened seven years ago. Anyone in admissions at EMS would be happy to give you more history and details.

As for rivalries, I'm guessing that you, to be so concerned with where its middle school students "matriculate," consider Ensworth a pretty big threat -- the fact remains that MBA is casting a much wider net than ever, and is proud to include kids from more zip codes than ever before. I'm sure anyone in admissions at MBA would be happy to fill you in.

And by the way, almost everyone involved in starting EHS is an MBA alum or parent. I sure hope to see you and the MBA team at the playoffs in November! I'll be on the orange side. Maybe you don't consider MBA-EHS a true rivalry but I would bet the crowd at a state playoff game would come close to breaking attendance records.

The "vocal minority" is made up of the small number of MBA alumni or supporters who, as you pointed out, were responsible for "kicking off" EHS, as in "got them started." They were a small number, and they were very vocal about some of their feelings, which, as I pointed out, are not shared by the vast majority of MBA alumni and fans. Most in the MBA community are relatively indifferent towards EHS. In the same way, I believe most of the MBA community view Ryan and BA as their primary rivals because as you point out, EHS is too new and MBA has played many, many classic games vs. these schools. The game is probably more important to EHS because they do not have tradition with any other schools, and because their coaches, who came from MBA, emphasize it (as I'm sure the MBA coaches do too). I have my matriculation facts pretty straight although I may have mis-spoken. Prior to EHS, most of the kids who came to MBA from Ensworth came in ninth grade while a few came in sixth grade. You are correct that most of the current EMS students do continue on to EHS, however, a large number of the boys now leave in the sixth grade for MBA. In fact, the number of boys MBA gets from Ensworth elementary now is almost the same as it was when I was there, but this number has shifted from the ninth to the sixth grade. I don't need to take you up on your offer to speak to an EHS admissions counseor, or an MBA admissions counselor for that matter, because my source is pretty spot on. You are also correct that MBA is getting its students from more schools than ever. I'm not sure about zip codes, but about 30% of the students live in Williamson Co. I'll have to check on 38474. The fact remains, however, that they continue to source very well from their traditional feeders Oak Hill, Harding, Ensworth, St. Paul, etc. MBA has a proud tradition of educating and devloping gentemen, scholars, and athletes for well over 100 years, and it's history, successful alumni base, tradition, and community cannot be replicated, regardless of how many new buildings EHS builds, past MBA faculty EHS hires, or state championships EHS wins. That being said, I believe, as do most MBA alumni, that EHS is a fine school with great resources and lovely people, and it serves a need that Nashville has for more private education. (In fact, some of the biggest influences on my life now work there, and they are great, great people.) I also believe that MBA will continue it's prestigious legacy for centuries to come, and that EHS and MBA will draw their students from two very different bases. Just my opinion, but I can tell you, that having spoken to many Ensworth alumni who are in the 25 to 35 age bracket, that EHS isn't in the plans for their children. None of this, however, is important to the discussion of the best football rivalry in the state. I hope MBA and EHS do play again this year, but even if it were in the state championship, the attendance wouldn't be half of the TN attendance record, and I bet not even a third. I also think MUS is the team to beat in DII. Good luck to both schools.

earlier post:

The "vocal minority" is made up of the small number of MBA alumni or supporters who, as you pointed out, were responsible for "kicking off" EHS, as in "got them started." They were a small number, and they were very vocal about some of their feelings, which, as I pointed out, are not shared by the vast majority of MBA alumni and fans. Most in the MBA community are relatively indifferent towards EHS. In the same way, I believe most of the MBA community view Ryan and BA as their primary rivals because as you point out, EHS is too new and MBA has played many, many classic games vs. these schools. The game is probably more important to EHS because they do not have tradition with any other schools, and because their coaches, who came from MBA, emphasize it (as I'm sure the MBA coaches do too). I have my matriculation facts pretty straight although I may have mis-spoken. Prior to EHS, most of the kids who came to MBA from Ensworth came in ninth grade while a few came in sixth grade. You are correct that most of the current EMS students do continue on to EHS, however, a large number of the boys now leave in the sixth grade for MBA. In fact, the number of boys MBA gets from Ensworth elementary now is almost the same as it was when I was there, but this number has shifted from the ninth to the sixth grade. I don't need to take you up on your offer to speak to an EHS admissions counseor, or an MBA admissions counselor for that matter, because my source is pretty spot on. You are also correct that MBA is getting its students from more schools than ever. I'm not sure about zip codes, but about 30% of the students live in Williamson Co. I'll have to check on 38474. The fact remains, however, that they continue to source very well from their traditional feeders Oak Hill, Harding, Ensworth, St. Paul, etc. MBA has a proud tradition of educating and devloping gentemen, scholars, and athletes for well over 100 years, and it's history, successful alumni base, tradition, and community cannot be replicated, regardless of how many new buildings EHS builds, past MBA faculty EHS hires, or state championships EHS wins. That being said, I believe, as do most MBA alumni, that EHS is a fine school with great resources and lovely people, and it serves a need that Nashville has for more private education. (In fact, some of the biggest influences on my life now work there, and they are great, great people.) I also believe that MBA will continue it's prestigious legacy for centuries to come, and that EHS and MBA will draw their students from two very different bases. Just my opinion, but I can tell you, that having spoken to many Ensworth alumni who are in the 25 to 35 age bracket, that EHS isn't in the plans for their children. None of this, however, is important to the discussion of the best football rivalry in the state. I hope MBA and EHS do play again this year, but even if it were in the state championship, the attendance wouldn't be half of the TN attendance record, and I bet not even a third. I also think MUS is the team to beat in DII. Good luck to both schools.

earlier post:

Listen up you "lovely, lovely people" who support Ensworth. The tradition, blah, blah, blah, at MBA can never be replicated by little ole Ensworth and it doesn't matter how many buildings ya'll build or teachers you steal, or centuries you have to try and get it right. MBA is turning out the "gentemen, scholars and athletes" of Middle Tennessee and I guess Ensworth and the rest of the schools in Middle Tennessee turn out the opposite?!! This is why Ensworth and MBA draw their students from two "very, very, different bases". Now I am not fortunate enough to be a graduate of Ensworth or MBA, but I reckon I know an insult when I read it, even if it has the words "lovely" and "very, very great" repeated several times. Why is Ensworth not in the plans, for the children of Ensworth alumni? Ensworth, you better quit beating MBA, because it sounds like some of the MBA faithful are having a hissy fit and it is not pretty. By the way, what is are "gentemen" and how can our school get some?