10A Hows it looking?

justafan09

Lawdog, you are right on with everything you said. I too was at the game and regardless of what the radio announcers (to my knowledge neither SF nor Hampshire had radio broadcasters there so apparently they were from Houston Co. or McEwen) were saying the fouls were no way one sided throughout the game. The fouls were fairly even up until the last few minutes when the chaos broke out.

You are also right regarding the conduct of the HC fans, adults (based on their age, not maturity level) in the stands. They definitely did not set a good example for the players. I did admire the playing abilities of the team to be able to make such a strong comeback in the 4th quarter. With the momentum they had going at that time they could have taken the lead and won the game. Unfortunately their emotions got the best of them.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawdog, you are right on with everything you said. I too was at the game and regardless of what the radio announcers (to my knowledge neither SF nor Hampshire had radio broadcasters there so apparently they were from Houston Co. or McEwen) were saying the fouls were no way one sided throughout the game. The fouls were fairly even up until the last few minutes when the chaos broke out.

You are also right regarding the conduct of the HC fans, adults (based on their age, not maturity level) in the stands. They definitely did not set a good example for the players. I did admire the playing abilities of the team to be able to make such a strong comeback in the 4th quarter. With the momentum they had going at that time they could have taken the lead and won the game. Unfortunately their emotions got the best of them.

Catmama and lawdog, I assure you the radio peeps were not from Houston County. I wasn't there, but I think OUR radio guys know the difference between Mark Beal and Sam Young!!! They called our assistant coach Mark Beal all thru the Santa Fe game and half way thru the Hampshire game. Only after someone told them who it was did they correct themselves! Mr Beal was at NEITHER game. Coach YOUNG was the one on the bench.

I wasn't at the game, but I did listen to it, the radio called it the way he saw it in all of the games. I can assure you he made some very disparaging remarks about the foul ratio, the tech calls and the conduct of BOTH schools. From what I have read on here, the refing was terrible both days, with HC and Hampshires game being the worst. I have read the awful things yall have said about our players, so do not talk about the HC crowd, they may yell at the refs, but they don't talk about kids. I have several friends who went, they have all separately told me about the same things about last nights game. Someone posted about our point guard being all over Hampshires?? Ummm... thats his job on defense, our point guard had 4 fouls at halftime? That only proves OUR point, so to whomever said that.. thanks! I can assure you the Skelton boy is a good boy with a good disposition, and was mightily provoked to react the way he did. The t's against Coach Cox were bull, the t against Darius for hanging on the rim was bull, the t against YOUR coach was bull, as was the t against Coach Young. No one is saying that Darius didn't deserve the t's at the end! Bit there was a reason he reacted the way he did. You all know what it is just like we do. As also was posted earlier..... make a time and place, with decent, not good, just decent refs, and the outcome will be different.

Catmama and lawdog, I assure you the radio peeps were not from Houston County. I wasn't there, but I think OUR radio guys know the difference between Mark Beal and Sam Young!!! They called our assistant coach Mark Beal all thru the Santa Fe game and half way thru the Hampshire game. Only after someone told them who it was did they correct themselves! Mr Beal was at NEITHER game. Coach YOUNG was the one on the bench.

I wasn't at the game, but I did listen to it, the radio called it the way he saw it in all of the games. I can assure you he made some very disparaging remarks about the foul ratio, the tech calls and the conduct of BOTH schools. From what I have read on here, the refing was terrible both days, with HC and Hampshires game being the worst. I have read the awful things yall have said about our players, so do not talk about the HC crowd, they may yell at the refs, but they don't talk about kids. I have several friends who went, they have all separately told me about the same things about last nights game. Someone posted about our point guard being all over Hampshires?? Ummm... thats his job on defense, our point guard had 4 fouls at halftime? That only proves OUR point, so to whomever said that.. thanks! I can assure you the Skelton boy is a good boy with a good disposition, and was mightily provoked to react the way he did. The t's against Coach Cox were bull, the t against Darius for hanging on the rim was bull, the t against YOUR coach was bull, as was the t against Coach Young. No one is saying that Darius didn't deserve the t's at the end! Bit there was a reason he reacted the way he did. You all know what it is just like we do. As also was posted earlier..... make a time and place, with decent, not good, just decent refs, and the outcome will be different.

basketball4me, who the announcers are doesn't really matter. However, I do know that they were calling the game for 105.1 which carries Houston County basketball, not SF, not Hampshire and not Mcewen. So maybe they were subs however I have heard them call Houston County games before. But like your Houston County brethern justafan09 you seem to be more concerned with the outcome of the game than the actions of players. Who actually won a Christmas Classic game with no bearing on the outcome of the season or district standings makes absolutely no difference whatsoever! Who cares!!!! What does matter is how your players handled the adversity.

I do not knnow one soul that lives in Hampshire or Santa Fe so I have no dog in their hunt. I am not affiliated with Houston County or any other team that played in Santa Fe. Furthermore I have not said that the officiating was great. What i did say was that in the 2nd half before the chaos began, the fouls were roughly even. It is amazing that you say the technical fouls against both Houston County coaches were bull and the technical foul against Mr. Skelton for hanging on the rim was bull but you were not at the game. Again I can understand saying a referee overreacted on 1 technical, but Houston County received 7 technical fouls in two games, 7!!!!! There is no way that that can all be officiating. Again, I was at the game and the Hampshire coach did not receive a technical!!!!!!!! He is not my coach as I have never met a person who attended, taught at or coached at Santa Fe or Hampshire other than the people that sold me concessions last night.

None of us knows what was said on the court between the players except the players but there can be absolutely nothing that was said that would justify Mr. Skelton's actions at the end of the game. Furthermore #10 whoever that young man is also received a technical for his mouthing that was well deserved. I think Houston County is a much better team 9 out 10 times than Hamphsire, probably 90 times out of 100 no matter where you play it. That does not really matter in this conversation.

The point to be looked at is that Houston County had a coach disqualified, a player disqaulified, coaches receiving 3 technicals and players receiving 4 technicals. Though the hanging on the rim thing doesn't bother me too much because that happens and you just move on. As I said in an earlier post, the fact that Mr. Skelton got a technical for slamming the ball didn't bother me too much because he is competitive and was frustrated. The problem was that when he was told to leave the bench area he completely lost control. He did not take his anger out towards the Hampshire players who you claim may have provoked him, but at the officials. To the point that he had to be restrained from going towards them on the court.

No matter how good a kid he is that cannot be acceptable nor tolerated by our student athletes. If the response is always "let's play on a neautral court with good refs and we win" then that tells me the behavior by the young men from Houston County is acceptable in your eyes and that spells problems with the basketball program.

You and justafan09 will probably respond with some foolishness about the announcers and the officials again but until either one of you can address the actions of the young men and coaches for Houston County, and several of the fans for that matter, as being unacceptable, you will only reinforce the point to everyone else that there is a problem in Houston County right now.

I hope it gets squared away as there are a lot of good people in Houston County and in the sports programs. The Barnes boy for example never got caught up in that crap and kept his cool. His father is a fine man. But again last night was an embarassment for Houston County and should not be defended.

basketball4me, who the announcers are doesn't really matter. However, I do know that they were calling the game for 105.1 which carries Houston County basketball, not SF, not Hampshire and not Mcewen. So maybe they were subs however I have heard them call Houston County games before. But like your Houston County brethern justafan09 you seem to be more concerned with the outcome of the game than the actions of players. Who actually won a Christmas Classic game with no bearing on the outcome of the season or district standings makes absolutely no difference whatsoever! Who cares!!!! What does matter is how your players handled the adversity.

I do not knnow one soul that lives in Hampshire or Santa Fe so I have no dog in their hunt. I am not affiliated with Houston County or any other team that played in Santa Fe. Furthermore I have not said that the officiating was great. What i did say was that in the 2nd half before the chaos began, the fouls were roughly even. It is amazing that you say the technical fouls against both Houston County coaches were bull and the technical foul against Mr. Skelton for hanging on the rim was bull but you were not at the game. Again I can understand saying a referee overreacted on 1 technical, but Houston County received 7 technical fouls in two games, 7!!!!! There is no way that that can all be officiating. Again, I was at the game and the Hampshire coach did not receive a technical!!!!!!!! He is not my coach as I have never met a person who attended, taught at or coached at Santa Fe or Hampshire other than the people that sold me concessions last night.

None of us knows what was said on the court between the players except the players but there can be absolutely nothing that was said that would justify Mr. Skelton's actions at the end of the game. Furthermore #10 whoever that young man is also received a technical for his mouthing that was well deserved. I think Houston County is a much better team 9 out 10 times than Hamphsire, probably 90 times out of 100 no matter where you play it. That does not really matter in this conversation.

The point to be looked at is that Houston County had a coach disqualified, a player disqaulified, coaches receiving 3 technicals and players receiving 4 technicals. Though the hanging on the rim thing doesn't bother me too much because that happens and you just move on. As I said in an earlier post, the fact that Mr. Skelton got a technical for slamming the ball didn't bother me too much because he is competitive and was frustrated. The problem was that when he was told to leave the bench area he completely lost control. He did not take his anger out towards the Hampshire players who you claim may have provoked him, but at the officials. To the point that he had to be restrained from going towards them on the court.

No matter how good a kid he is that cannot be acceptable nor tolerated by our student athletes. If the response is always "let's play on a neautral court with good refs and we win" then that tells me the behavior by the young men from Houston County is acceptable in your eyes and that spells problems with the basketball program.

You and justafan09 will probably respond with some foolishness about the announcers and the officials again but until either one of you can address the actions of the young men and coaches for Houston County, and several of the fans for that matter, as being unacceptable, you will only reinforce the point to everyone else that there is a problem in Houston County right now.

I hope it gets squared away as there are a lot of good people in Houston County and in the sports programs. The Barnes boy for example never got caught up in that crap and kept his cool. His father is a fine man. But again last night was an embarassment for Houston County and should not be defended.

Obviously you have never sat near the Barnes family! Im not saying that they are not good people, because they are but usually they are just as loud as everyone else.

First Im gonna count for you, last night there were a total of 8 technicals, 1 on Hampshires coach, 1 on Coach Young, 4 on Skelton, 1 on Hammond, and 1 on the crowd. If my math is right then that totals 8 in one game! As far as the Houston County crowd, they do get emotional but I have seen ALOT worse. For example I was at a game where my son fouled out and the woman 2 rows above me yelled very loudly "yeah sit that big s.o.b down" so I can promise you that its not just Houston County. Another thing you people come on here and talk about other peoples kids, that is what you should be ashamed of. They are kids! As for the Skelton kid, Im not saying what he did last night was right, but everybody has a breaking point. Even you! These kids are good kids and you know absolutely nothing about them.

As far as the night before, from what I was told the first technical on Coach Cox was for a wrong number or something that I honestly did not understand the other was a double technical on both coaches, so he automatically got kicked out.

I hope to clear a couple of things up with my post. I was the PBP announcer for 105.1 last night. I was filling in for the regular Houston County announcer. That tournament was only the second time I had called a Houston County High School game. The first being the game with Clarksburg to start the season. I had done some of the HC middle school games earlier in the season on another station. My partner had never seen Houston County before. I did misidentify Coach Young as Coach Beal. The roster I was provided with did identify Coach Beal as the varsity assistant coach. That information that I was given was obviously incorrect. Immediately upon finding out I had misidentified the coach, I apologized and corrected my mistake. I do so again here as well. It was an honest mistake and I hope my apology is accepted by any who may have been offended.

I will give my impressions on what happened at this tournament. Mind you, I was broadcasting from the rafters of the Sante Fe gym and not courtside where I prefer to broadcast from. From where I broadcast, I thought that the two techincals that were given to Coach Cox were uncalled for. One the first one, I did not notice Coach Cox acting inappropriatly. He did not appear from my point of view to be angry just before he was T'd up. Later on both Coach Cox and the head coach for Sante Fe were given technical fouls at the exact same time by one of the officails. I have watched high school baskteball for 40 years and had never seen that happen before. Again, I happened to be looking directly at Coach Cox when the double T was rang up and I did not notice Coach Cox acting inappropriately nor did he seem upset at the officials immediately before being given the T. I did not notice poor behavior from the Sante Fe coach either. Houston County played well and won the game. Coach Young did a good job rallying the team after the ejection.

As far as the game against Hampshire. The first technical against Darius Skelton was BOGUS. He was T'd for hanging on the rim. The fact is is that he was protecting himself as there was a Hampshire player underneath him. You are supposed to be allowed to hang in that case. My opinion was that the official was wrong in his interpretation of what happened. The other two technical fouls that were called on Skelton were apporpriate calls. Even if you are having the screws put to you, you can't let your emotions get the best of you. Unfortunately for Skelton, he let his emotions get to him. For most of the tournament, every time he touched the ball he was double or triple teamed and hacked to death.

One of the other technical fouls called was an appropriate call as well. A HC player slammed the ball on the court after a call went against him. It's hard to argue against the official in that case. At least for making that particular T call.

From my vantage point, the technical against Coach Young was uncalled for. I did not see him acting out. If he said something, I am unaware of it because he was not really jaw jacking with the officail at time of the T.

Overall, I thought that the officiating was very poor in the HC / Hampshire game. It was a very physical game and I honstly feel that the officals did not handle the action well. There was one time in which a HC player (Cooksey) was mugged and knocked to the ground. A jump ball was called. It was a bad call and I said so. There were several other calls that I thought were very poor calls that went against HC. On the other hand, I do remember pointing out a couple of times when the officials missed calls that ended up favoring HC when they should not have. By my unofficial count, HC was whistled up for 32 personal fouls against Hampshire and had 4 players foul out. That total does not include the technicals. I had Hampshire being called for 25 fouls. However, the number of fouls called did not even come close to balancing out until later on in the game. Overall, Houston County did not really play well for a good chunk of the game. I believe that there was one stretch where there were 9 HC turnovers in 10 trips down the floor. At one point, HC was down by over 20 points and still played well enough to draw within 6 with about three minutes to play. Unfortunately, that is the point at which all heck broke loose.

Unfortunately last night was a night when many calls were missed and emotions ran high. I will know leave my comments at that.

Good coments lawdog. I too was at alot of the games in this tournament. There is never a time when it is ok for a student athlete to act the way the Skelton young man acted. I have seen him play before and been impressed with both his play and the way he carried himself. I hope he realizes that he should not act that way and will come back and have a good career the rest of his high school time. I can also understand how a houston county fan would be defensive and take up for his team. There are always people video taping these games and if something is done that is not fair, there are ways to handle the situation. The way it happened this week is not a good way. Houston county is in a transition period and there is no way a fan or alumni can be proud of what happened in this tournament. Houston County has had success in the past and I am sure they will again, but they cannot act like what happened last night was acceptable.

I hope to clear a couple of things up with my post. I was the PBP announcer for 105.1 last night. I was filling in for the regular Houston County announcer. That tournament was only the second time I had called a Houston County High School game. The first being the game with Clarksburg to start the season. I had done some of the HC middle school games earlier in the season on another station. My partner had never seen Houston County before. I did misidentify Coach Young as Coach Beal. The roster I was provided with did identify Coach Beal as the varsity assistant coach. That information that I was given was obviously incorrect. Immediately upon finding out I had misidentified the coach, I apologized and corrected my mistake. I do so again here as well. It was an honest mistake and I hope my apology is accepted by any who may have been offended.

I will give my impressions on what happened at this tournament. Mind you, I was broadcasting from the rafters of the Sante Fe gym and not courtside where I prefer to broadcast from. From where I broadcast, I thought that the two techincals that were given to Coach Cox were uncalled for. One the first one, I did not notice Coach Cox acting inappropriatly. He did not appear from my point of view to be angry just before he was T'd up. Later on both Coach Cox and the head coach for Sante Fe were given technical fouls at the exact same time by one of the officails. I have watched high school baskteball for 40 years and had never seen that happen before. Again, I happened to be looking directly at Coach Cox when the double T was rang up and I did not notice Coach Cox acting inappropriately nor did he seem upset at the officials immediately before being given the T. I did not notice poor behavior from the Sante Fe coach either. Houston County played well and won the game. Coach Young did a good job rallying the team after the ejection.

As far as the game against Hampshire. The first technical against Darius Skelton was BOGUS. He was T'd for hanging on the rim. The fact is is that he was protecting himself as there was a Hampshire player underneath him. You are supposed to be allowed to hang in that case. My opinion was that the official was wrong in his interpretation of what happened. The other two technical fouls that were called on Skelton were apporpriate calls. Even if you are having the screws put to you, you can't let your emotions get the best of you. Unfortunately for Skelton, he let his emotions get to him. For most of the tournament, every time he touched the ball he was double or triple teamed and hacked to death.

One of the other technical fouls called was an appropriate call as well. A HC player slammed the ball on the court after a call went against him. It's hard to argue against the official in that case. At least for making that particular T call.

From my vantage point, the technical against Coach Young was uncalled for. I did not see him acting out. If he said something, I am unaware of it because he was not really jaw jacking with the officail at time of the T.

Overall, I thought that the officiating was very poor in the HC / Hampshire game. It was a very physical game and I honstly feel that the officals did not handle the action well. There was one time in which a HC player (Cooksey) was mugged and knocked to the ground. A jump ball was called. It was a bad call and I said so. There were several other calls that I thought were very poor calls that went against HC. On the other hand, I do remember pointing out a couple of times when the officials missed calls that ended up favoring HC when they should not have. By my unofficial count, HC was whistled up for 32 personal fouls against Hampshire and had 4 players foul out. That total does not include the technicals. I had Hampshire being called for 25 fouls. However, the number of fouls called did not even come close to balancing out until later on in the game. Overall, Houston County did not really play well for a good chunk of the game. I believe that there was one stretch where there were 9 HC turnovers in 10 trips down the floor. At one point, HC was down by over 20 points and still played well enough to draw within 6 with about three minutes to play. Unfortunately, that is the point at which all heck broke loose.

Unfortunately last night was a night when many calls were missed and emotions ran high. I will know leave my comments at that.

Dear RitzFan,

Let me first say that I listened to you call the first half on my way to Santa Fe and I thought you did a good job. I too have done some local broadcasts for high school athletics and if that was only your second time to call Houston County then you did particularly well in what I heard. I only pointed out that you were with 105.1 because the first poster about this tried to say that even the Hampshire broadcasters were discussing the officiating and I simply knew that that was not true.

As for the Santa Fe-Houston County game I did not see it so I cannot comment on it. I do think some posters are confusing the Santa Fe and Hampshire games because the Hampshire coach never was teed up and rightfully so because everything was going his was for the most part. I was listening to to you discuss the hanging on the rim and even you and your partner discussed the technical for

hanging on the rim and disagreed a little. I liked your take because you were defending the team you were calling for. I think that is perfectly fine when you are broadcasting high school for your team. But either way that was a judgment call. Skelton then got 2 more at the end of the game (total 3), Coach Young received one and Hammond received one. It was hard to argue with the ones on Skelton and Hammond. Coach Young's I do not know about because it did not appear that he was saying much so unless he was told to stop or said a magic word I don't know what happened. But overall Houston County got 5 technicals I counted the free throws and the technicals in the official book after the McEwen game. Some folks need to remember that 2 of the technicals had regular fouls associated

with them so there were foul shots as well.

Either way my whole point was not taking up for the officiating but some folks are losing sight of how a couple of young men acted. They were totally out of line and hopefully the administration sends a message that Houston County will not stand for that because they have had a good program and need to erase that embarassment from last night. We all have to deal with bad calls and adversoty but we cannot be allowed to act like what happened in Santa Fe.

Good job in calling the game and good post.

lawdog,

I appreciate your kind words concerning my efforts to broadcast that game. You are correct in your assessement about what is really important. While I firmly believe that the officials did a less than steller job in managing the game in question, the participants need to keep cool heads no matter how bad the screws are getting turned against them.

Hopefully, everyone involved will be able to move forward from what happened this week.

Guess we all missed something quite interesting with the HC game. Someone mentioned #10 for HC and I would say that I witnessed behavior this season from him that I would qualify as nearly thug. He ran over a smaller kid and got the foul, the kid reached his hand up expecting #10 to do the right thing and help him up. He just glanced down at him and turned to walk away while this kid had his hand up the entire time. I thought at that time it was certainly classless and no where near the level of sportsmanship you would expect from all high school players. Sounds to me as if this wasn't an isolated incident and the kid has some attitude problems.

I was at both HC games in Santa Fe. I graduated from HC, played sports and have lived there most of my adult life. I'm going to have to say that yes, there was definetly some officiating issues in the Hampshire game. The fouls were not evened up until late in game. I'm also going to say that I agree with lawdogs original post about the situation with our two players that recieved technicals #42 (Skelton) & #10 (Hammond) both boys have been playing long enough to know the consequences of their out bursts. I also feel that Mr. Skelton was way over the line and should apologize to his teammates for his behavior as well as be punished not only by TSSAA but also by the coach. I do not believe the technicals the coaches recieved were justifed neither of them displayed the kind of behavior that justifies technical fouls to be called and believe me I've seen some really over the top behaviors from coaches. As to the remarks about the crowd, yes some of the HC crowd was not acting as they should have, and I can honestly say that I did not approve of some of the things the crowd was doing when Mr. Skelton was receiving his technicals and being removed from the game. The crowd needs to realize that even though they felt thier player was being treated unjustly that his behavior was uncalled for and the technicals he recieved were justied. There are other HC players on the team that were just as frustrated and upset but controlled their emotions and finished the game, whether they fouled out, finished the game or supported their team from the bench.

Big games coming up soon in 10A.

Friday, January 8th.

CA @ NCS

WHH @ HC

JB @ ER

MC @ MH

Predictions?

My predictions are McEwen, East Robertson, and Houston County.

I can't really predict the NC-CA game, if NC comes out shooting like they did against ER then I honestly think they will win that game. I am anxious to see how this new player for NCS plays in his first game for NCS since 8th grade and in the biggest game of the year for NC so far. If NCS is not deadly from 3 on Friday then CA has an advantage and would probably pull out the W.

If I was forced to pick a winner, I will go with the hot hand and I'd say NC by 4.