Big Games in Memphis ... Week 6

kwc

My picks are as follows:

1) WSHS loses to MUS ............... 21-28 (I think WSHS gives MUS a run for their money)

2) Arlington beats Bolton ............ 21 -14 (Arlington gets their 1st quality win, in district play at that)

3) Craigmont loses to Briarcrest ... 7 - 28 (Briarcrest proves to be too much)

4) Millington beats Cordova ......... 14 - 10 (district play slobber knocker ... Millington does it the old fashioned way)

5) East loses to Melrose ............. 21 - 28 (District 16 grudge match ... man ... all of that speed on one field!)

That's it for me. What do you guys think?

Well this is my first pass at prognosticating on this site and in the interest of full disclosure I am a Arlington Tiger fan...with that said, here we go

MUS - 31, White Station 23 I have seen MUS on TV, have not seen White Station. Could go either way

Arlington - 35, Bolton 21 Maybe I am drinking the kool-aid, but a dry field and healthy QB will make the difference. I have not seen Bolton but only beating Houston (who I think is weak) by 8 and having to come from behind, leads me to believe they will have trouble with the Tiger spread. I know Raleigh Egypt led the Tigers 24-23 in the second half but I was there and they returned 2 Ints inside the Tiger 10 that gave them short field. Otherwise the score would have been similar to the Millington score.

Craigmont 26, Briarcrest 21 Just a hunch, saw Craigmont play Arlington in 7-7 this summer and was impressed with the Chief secondary

Millington 30, Cordova 14 Do not think Cordova can hang with Millington.

East - 24, Melrose 20 Have not seen East play but apparently they are one of the best 12 (Hey according to the CA). Seriously, think Melrose is down a little

Thoughts, Shots, Observations?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Memphis area high school football fans we are in week 6 which means we ar at the half way mark and some teams have already played 6 games. We have begun to get a feel for who we think is for real and who isn't. Some teams still remain an enigma ... but hey ... that's what makes it so fun. The following are what I consider to be the Big Games in the Memphis and surrounding area. Some of you reading this may think that some other games need to be listed ... thats fine ... this is all about dialogue and opinions so have at it. My list is as follows:

1) White Station [Class 6A, Dist. 16, 4-1] @ MUS [Class AA, Div. II, 6-0]

2) Arlington [Class 6A, Dist. 14, 6-0] @ Bolton [Class 6A, Dist. 14, 3-2]

3) Craigmont [Class 5A, Dist. 14, 4-1] @ Briarcrest [Class AA, Div. II, 5-1]

4) Millington [Class 6A, Dist. 14, 3-3] @ Cordova [Class 6A, Dist. 14, 3-2]

5) Memphis East [Class 5A, Dist. 16, 2-4] @ Melrose [Class 5A, Dist. 16, 2-3]

My picks are as follows:

1) WSHS loses to MUS ............... 21-28 (I think WSHS gives MUS a run for their money)

2) Arlington beats Bolton ............ 21 -14 (Arlington gets their 1st quality win, in district play at that)

4) Millington beats Cordova ......... 14 - 10 (district play slobber knocker ... Millington does it the old fashioned way)

5) East loses to Melrose ............. 21 - 28 (District 16 grudge match ... man ... all of that speed on one field!)

I'm not seein' much love for WS on this thread.... dry.gif

WS 33 over MUS 24 I think we'll show up, and hopefully the football Gods will be smiling on the Spartans! :(

Arlington 28 wins over Bolton 14 I don't think Bolton can keep up

Briarcrest 31 gets it done vs Craigmont 14 Faith in the Saints

Millington 35 runs past Cordova 14 Just a hunch that Millington gets to have that "good game" feeling.

East 32 slides through Melrose 27 East finally wins a game vs a big name opponent.....also Melrose isn't gettin' it done done this year.

I agree that WS will give MUS a run for the money, especially if the Owls don't pressure the QB any better than they did against East. I think WS will score 14-35 points, depending on the above. BUT MUS will score at least 35 and win.

You've got me curious now owlbooster. You mean to tell me that MUS isn't getting much of a pass rush on the opposing QB ... or that they didn't against East? I know S.P. came back on you guys via the pass. The same for O.B. if I am correct. But both of those teams were your basic old fashioned "My lineman are bigger then your linemen and we are going to just line up and bowl you over" type of teams. But East is a different type of team altogether aren't they? WHS kind of fits more into the 'East' type of team then they do to 'S.P. or O.B.' type of team. I can see your reason for concern. I just don't know if coach Rutherford will commit enough to the passing game to make MUS change their defensive philosophy because he is going to want to stay balanced with the run verses the pass. If he decides to tip the scale say .... 60 pass / 40 run ... well ... do you think that things could get interesting?

South Panola did nothing in air, all runs by Parker and Market. Olive Branch didn't get much in the air until about 4 minutes left in game via a long screen pass to Shipp. The Owls had a good pass rush against East, but Jazzy is very difficult to sack, as I'm sure White Station will also attest.

MUS also has McBride back, he looked very good in limited action last Friday.

1) White Station @ MUS I personally think mus wins 35-24

2) Arlington @ Bolton Arlington and Adam Poole has to many weapons for bolton Arlington wins 24-10

3) Craigmont @ Briarcrest Bchs wins 31-14

4) Millington @ Cordova Cordova and Baker win 24-14 . Is Hunter white still injured for Millington?

5) Memphis East @ Melrose Melrose will win this game 38-29.

What about the St. Georges and Fayette Academy game? I posted something about the game on division 2.

My picks are as follows:

The Chiefs break into kwc's top games! :thumb:

1) MUS 38 White Station 21 - I think MUS continues to roll, though I think White Station will keep it close for a while and maybe score more than I think.

2) Arlington 35 Bolton 28 - This should be a good game with Arlington continuing to put up points.

3) Craigmont 19 Briarcrest 17 - This will be the Chiefs toughest game yet but I think the Craigmont D will have a big game.

4) Cordova 28 Millington 24 - This one is tough to pick and the result may be flipped, but I think neither team blows the other one out. Should be one of the better games in the area.

5) East 23 Melrose 19 - I think East pulls this one out. I just haven't been tath impressed with Melrose from what I have seen from them. They have good size but the team speed doesn't seem to be as good as East in my opinion.

MUS 45 - 21

Arlington 28 - 7

Craigmont 21 - 10

Cordova 17 - 14

East 28 - 21

As far as St. George's vs Fayette Acad., St. George's 35 - 7

I'm not seein' much love for WS on this thread.... dry.gif

WS 33 over MUS 24 I think we'll show up, and hopefully the football Gods will be smiling on the Spartans! :lol:

Arlington 28 wins over Bolton 14 I don't think Bolton can keep up

Briarcrest 31 gets it done vs Craigmont 14 Faith in the Saints

Millington 35 runs past Cordova 14 Just a hunch that Millington gets to have that "good game" feeling.

East 32 slides through Melrose 27 East finally wins a game vs a big name opponent.....also Melrose isn't gettin' it done done this year.

LOLOLOL ..... :thumb: You are right ... WSHS isn't getting any love on this game. I'm sorry my friend but you already knew everybody would be picking MUS after the start they have had. My heart is with WSHS though. I'm wanting them to represent District 16 and the city schools. Just think of all of the pandemonium it would create if WSHS beat the mighty MUS. My goodness ... Jason Smith would have a aneurysm ... LOLOLOLOL ... :lol:

By the way ... Thank goodness for spellcheck! .... :huh:

I agree that WS will give MUS a run for the money, especially if the Owls don't pressure the QB any better than they did against East. I think WS will score 14-35 points, depending on the above. BUT MUS will score at least 35 and win.

You've got me curious now owlbooster. You mean to tell me that MUS isn't getting much of a pass rush on the opposing QB ... or that they didn't against East? I know S.P. came back on you guys via the pass. The same for O.B. if I am correct. But both of those teams were your basic old fashioned "My lineman are bigger then your linemen and we are going to just line up and bowl you over" type of teams. But East is a different type of team altogether aren't they? WHS kind of fits more into the 'East' type of team then they do to 'S.P. or O.B.' type of team. I can see your reason for concern. I just don't know if coach Rutherford will commit enough to the passing game to make MUS change their defensive philosophy because he is going to want to stay balanced with the run verses the pass. If he decides to tip the scale say .... 60 pass / 40 run ... well ... do you think that things could get interesting?

SP came back on MUS via the run not the pass!

My predictions:

MUS- 38

White Station- 20

Hopefully WS's coach accepts the ball if they win the toss. One would think that that would be a given if you have a prolific offense and the weather conditions are at least decent. Him not doing so against CBHS was a very poor decision; and would be even worse in this game (provided the weather is good).

Arlington- 24

Bolton- 28

Arlington will lose most of its remaining games. I predict that it will start with this one.

Craigmont- 26

Briarcrest- 24

The combination of it being mid-season (not early), athleticism, and confidence, for Craigmont, should be enough to overcome Briarcrest's kicking game and home field advantage.

Millington- 20

Cordova- 24

Millington's offensive scheme mainly works when they have very good athletes to run it, combined with opponents being physically overmatched and/or undisciplined. This should be a very close game.

East- 20

Melrose- 26

Both have poor kicking games. East may be a little better offensively, while Melrose may be more than a little better defensively. On that basis, I pick Melrose. But, as I said before the season started, this is the worst team that Melrose has fielded in years.