Father Ryan vs MBA

Hadouken

So.

Big Game this Friday.

MBA @ Father Ryan's new stadium.

MBA has been down all this year, and coming off a loss to BGA. Father Ryan is having a great year, and is coming off a win against rival JPII.

MBA is out a quarterback, and FRHS is healthy.

I say FRHS by a touchdown

FRHS 17 MBA 10

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBA's problem is really not at QB. Certainly it would have been preferable to have Colbert (esp earlier, say in the Independence game), but at this point, East has more starting experience than Colbert. While he hasn't won any games singlehandedly, it would be hard to say that he's lost any either. MBA's problems begin and end with the defensive line. Too many runs are making it untouched past the line, where it gets much more difficult to make the stop, and even if you do, it comes after a 4-6 yard gain at the very least.

The upshot of this issue is the the MBA offense is forced to be nearly perfect, as the defense is likely to give up 20+ points. That's a lot of pressure.

Put differently, the season looks different with even an average defense. The loss against Independence never happens, and they stand a decent chance of winning the BGA game, despite two fumbles deep in BGA territory.

All in all, there are a lot of ugly forces lining up for Friday. Here's hoping Riegle is back in the line-up, and Lassing is closer to full speed.

Like most sports, winning begins on the defensive side of the ball and MBA must be scratching their heads on what to try to fix first. The defensive line has just not been very good all year long. The line misses that one big, athletic lineman it has had the last few years (e.g. Wesley Johnson). The weakness on the defensive line only barely hides the fact that they don't have a great defensive backfield either. The BGA sophmore QB picked them apart. Now I understand there is an obvious connection between the ability of the DL to get to the QB and the defensive backs but there are simply no play makers except Lassing and Bars defensively. Tanner is trying to help and his INT last week was a nice shot in the arm, but it's just not a very good unit overall.

Offensively, we're in some disagreement. I really feel for the East kid, but to suggest 43 yards of passing (which most came when BGA went prevent at the end of the game) is good enough to win a game is just not being objective. Passes are thrown up for grabs and what has been the longest completion? 10 or so yards? Anything of any length has come after the catch. How many 10 yard pass routes have been bounced passed? How can an all-state wide receiver (Tanner) and a pretty darn good 2nd receiver (Mobley) be coming up empty or close to it? Like I've said in an earlier post, Spencer Wise struggled when placed in a similar situation as a sophomore and he turned out to be a pretty darn good quarterback and maybe that is what is going to happen here long term. I hope that is the case. But let's call it what it is. MBA only passes when it is in a wishful or desparate mode of operation.

I just wonder with a season trending toward average whether it's not time to really ponder the future. I love seeing the sophomore RB in the game. He made a crucial fumble but he seems to have a ton of upside. I understand that Simonis is finally healthy and dressed for the first time last week. Didn't I hear that he ruled as the freshmen QB last year? I certainly trust Coach McGugin and I think he'll do what's right, but I'm sure a lot of these thoughts are flashing through his head as he contemplates the remainder of the season.

He'll certainly have their attention for this game. I believe they have a chance, but they'll need to avoid the turnovers, create some and have Lassing have a huge game.

Hasnt it been something like 12 years since Ryan has defeated MBA?

It doesnt matter who has done what throughout the season when it comes to rivalries.

Ill go with MBA this one until the Irish can prove otherwise. I hope Im wrong with my prediction.

How is it a rivalry when one team has not defeated the other team in twelve years? With MBA having a sub par season (by MBA standards this is a bad football team) the Irish had better take advantage of the opportunity or it may be another twelve years before they receive another opportunity for a victory.

Well, cbg, if you put it that way.. Then I guess you could apply it to other sports as well. Father Ryan hasn't beat MBA in football recently, but...

MBA hasn't beat Father Ryan in basketball/wrestling/soccer in a very long long time. I guess FRHS is too much of a rival for MBA to handle. THis rival ended long ago when FRHS proved to be the better athletic school in terms of dominating sports.

Good statement though, cbg, I like where you were going with your post. And that is, absolutely no where, unless you cling so lifelessly to hope that football is the only sport played in high school.

Oh wait, it isnt.

Hasnt it been something like 12 years since Ryan has defeated MBA?

It doesnt matter who has done what throughout the season when it comes to rivalries.

Ill go with MBA this one until the Irish can prove otherwise. I hope Im wrong with my prediction.

How is it a rivalry when one team has not defeated the other team in twelve years? With MBA having a sub par season (by MBA standards this is a bad football team) the Irish had better take advantage of the opportunity or it may be another twelve years before they receive another opportunity for a victory.

Ole CBQ is a poster to be relied on. He Always posts about any negative aspect of Ryan that he can come up with. But as usual, when you take all the sports, Ryan holds its own with MBA or anybody else. Where does this anger stem from, care to explain. Ryan will very soon add another state championship to its trophy case, but in another sport. :roflol: PSS I predict a hard fought, tough grind it out by both teams with Ryan the victor. I wonder where all those nay sayers about a month and a half ago went to, the only one left is CBQ. :roflol:

If some of the luster is gone from this rivalry, the problem predates the current MBA win streak. The MBA-Ryan rivalry was a big deal for several reasons: there were rea;tively few private schools; until about '70 they were both all male; they were fairly close to one another geographically, and they were generally among the best football programs in the area. The intial district alignment made the game even more important: both were in District 11-AAA, and only one team advanced to the play-offs (though Overton also had an important say in that issue).

When the TSSAA went to 5 divisions, Ryan went to AAAA, and MBA went to AAAAA, along with BA. MBA and Ryan were no longer district or even divisional opponents; in '95 and '96 they couldn't even schedule a game (though I believe there was a jamboree). During those two years, MBA played BA in the play-offs; the second was an epic overtime game at MBA. The BA game came to be more relevant to the MBA season than the Ryan game. Most of the older alumini still regard Ryan as the game to win at all costs, and we find nothing boring about a 12 year winning streak. We'd be delighted with another 12.

I agree with big red big blue.

This game is HUGE because it is being played @ FRHS and with their brand new stadium. You can't christen a win at home without beating your rival there.

And I agree with KWoodrof as well. The rivalry could be rekindled if FRHS pulls out a win. FRHS has proved they can win with limited talent. They used the old D2 technigue: excellent coaching.

I am really looking forward to this game. While MBA has had a subpar year and very up and down....FR has had a good year to date. FR wants to end the 12 year win streak that MBA has going. Unless MBA plays alot better this could be the year. But, I am holding out hope to make it 13 in a row. Call me an optimist.....but I say

MBA 21

FR 17