Page Lady Patriots

coloma20

SoccerSwami says:

>>Stat boosting? The last 10 goals scored by Page vs. Cornersville were notched by JV players, freshmen, and defenders who never get to play offense. Same thing in the Cane Ridge match. Their big star Kate Maguigan could score 10 against these teams but I hear her coach limits her to 2 or 3 per match. Stat boosting? I think not.

TSSAA.org says:

Most Goals Scored in a Game - Individual

7 Kate Maguigan Page vs. Huntlad September 4, 2008 (Page 15 Huntland 0)

6 Kate Maguigan Page vs. Cornersville August 26, 2008 ( Page 11 Cornersville 0)

6 Kate Maguigan Page vs. F.C. Boyd October 14, 2008 ( Page 9 Boyd 1)

Draw your own conclusions.

Pretty much what I thought! Against weaker competition it is easier to get the ball yourself and score. Against stronger competition a teammate will have to get the ball to you. And what I saw of Page in preseason was not a team that could help in a tough game.

That's pretty sad! It is unbelievable that the coach allows this. I didn't realize this is what was happening when I read the ESPN article. Really cheapens this accomplishment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess Page found some true competition in Chattanooga....lost 2 to 0 to Greeneville....

I'm sure it is a very difficult loss...however, if you don't play tough competition during the regular season, it is difficult to play well in the post season. Need to insure the TEAM knows how to play together and not just rely on a few....

Oct. 13, 2009:

Post from me: woof, woof:

I don't have a clue how all that sub-state, etc. works where Page plays, but in looking at Eurosports (use if when one can), there is night and day between the top 4 ranked teams and 5 & 6 IMO. If they have to play the teams they have scored 100 goals on to advance they will, but when they hit any of the top 4, BYE, BYE. :flower:

I never thought to include the top 5, but I guess I can stand (on my hind feet) corrected!!!!! :blink:

Good win by Greeneville!

On another note, Page Coach Pete Wade had some interesting quotes after the game. One of which was "Greeneville is not that much better than David Lipscomb, a team we beat in the sectionals. We were flat and we did not play our game."

I know he was probably upset after a hard fought loss, but how about giving some credit to his opponent instead of implying that Greeneville had nothing to do with Page losing the game.

Good win by Greeneville!

On another note, Page Coach Pete Wade had some interesting quotes after the game. One of which was "Greeneville is not that much better than David Lipscomb, a team we beat in the sectionals. We were flat and we did not play our game."

I know he was probably upset after a hard fought loss, but how about giving some credit to his opponent instead of implying that Greeneville had nothing to do with Page losing the game.

Congratulations to Greenville!!!!

I had some bad-dog comments to offer, but I think I will let the Page coach make those for me. :flower:

Greeneville was more organized and maintained possession better with the exception of the first 10 minutes. Game plan for Page seemed to be get the ball to #24, but they were not very successful. Page did have opportunities, though, especially when only down a goal. There was one sequence where they must had 5 shots within 3 yards of the goal in about a 15 second span. Not sure how they did not score. Who knows what would have happened in a 1-1 game?

Greeneville was more organized and maintained possession better with the exception of the first 10 minutes. Game plan for Page seemed to be get the ball to #24, but they were not very successful. Page did have opportunities, though, especially when only down a goal. There was one sequence where they must had 5 shots within 3 yards of the goal in about a 15 second span. Not sure how they did not score. Who knows what would have happened in a 1-1 game?

Did you win or not win (politically correct for losing) a recent election???? :thumb:

Good win by Greeneville!

Actually it was Greeneville that was flat and didn't play its best game. This was their first real game since the Oak Ridge game on 10/3 and it shows. Too bad the Page coach didn't word his comments a little more graciously.

Good win by Greeneville!

Do you have a link for the rest of the write up ?

Thanks

Found one:

CHATTANOOGA – The perfect season for Page came to an end in the Class A/AA quarterfinals.

Greeneville beat Page 2-0 at Chattanooga Christian School on Wednesday to advance to the state semifinals.

“We were flat,” Page Coach Pete Wade said. “We had as many chances as they did, we just did not capitalize.”

Related

Franklin lone area AAA team to win quarterfinal

CPA blanks Chattanooga Chr. in state quarterfinals

Brentwood falls in penalty kicks

Girls state soccer tournament primer

State soccer tournament scoreboard

With 17:55 remaining in the first half, the Lady Greene Devils (18-5-1) opened the scoring. Greeneville’s Becca Willett received a pass from Allison McGee. Willett then fired a shot over Page goalkeeper Katie Wright from 20 yards out.

The Patriots (21-1) had opportunities to tie the match, but just could not finish.

In the second half, Greeneville took the offensive. With 24:31 remaining in the half, the Lady Greene Devils had a goal called off because the ball went out of bounds on the corner kick.

Page did not just lay down. The Lady Patriots had six shots in 30 seconds with 10 minutes left in the match, but Greeneville was able to keep the ball out of the net.

“It was one of those days were it felt like the goal was covered in Saran wrap,” Wade said. “We created chances, just did not finish.”

The final blow came with 5:43 remaining in the match. Greeneville’s Marie Scott sent a through ball to Taylor Leng. Leng was able to beat the goalkeeper to put the match away.

“Greeneville is not that much better than David Lipscomb, a team we beat in sectionals,” Wade said. “We did not play our game.”

D :thumb:

I've seen a lot of chatter about #6-ranked Page being overrated.

After reviewing stats on the Tennessean website:

They played #11 Spring Hill, outshot them 16-4, led 4-1 at the half (then put in JV players).

They played #7 David Lipscomb, outshot them 19-2, led 3-0 at the half (then put in JV players).

On Wednesday from my observations:

They played #4 Greeneville, were even in shots, scoring opportunities, and time of possession, and nearly tied the game 1-1 with 9 minutes remaining.

I'd say #6 is right where they belong. How could they be overrated?

In my opinion, the difference was the fact that Page's 6' 1" sophomore superstar of a goalie moved out of state and an inexperienced freshman was thrown into the goal. Imagine that happening to your team.

P.S. I wouldn't put much stock in those newspaper quotes. When I used to coach, my quotes were twisted around and rearranged all the time. Note to reporters: Use a tape recorder, not a notepad.

Ah, Soccer Swami, you have re-surfaced....would you care to address the below post?

SoccerSwami says:

>>Stat boosting? The last 10 goals scored by Page vs. Cornersville were notched by JV players, freshmen, and defenders who never get to play offense. Same thing in the Cane Ridge match. Their big star Kate Maguigan could score 10 against these teams but I hear her coach limits her to 2 or 3 per match. Stat boosting? I think not.

TSSAA.org says:

Most Goals Scored in a Game - Individual

7 Kate Maguigan Page vs. Huntlad September 4, 2008 (Page 15 Huntland 0)

6 Kate Maguigan Page vs. Cornersville August 26, 2008 ( Page 11 Cornersville 0)

6 Kate Maguigan Page vs. F.C. Boyd October 14, 2008 ( Page 9 Boyd 1)

AND...

Soccer Swami says:

>> They played #4 Greeneville, were even in shots,

Knoxville News Sentinel says:

>> Shots-Greeneville 18, Page 6