Big Games in Memphis ... Week 8

kwc

........ but never again will area teams be able to play Arlington Varsity and be playing in effect a JV team........

Thanks for not making excuses. :shock:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it does look like an excuse. :thumb: I stand corrected; it was was intended to be informational for the "savvy and knowledgeable". :thumb:

Thats it, when busted out, come back with an insult. :thumb:

So now your excuse is that we are not "savvy and knowledgeable". :thumb:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to everyone tonight, especially the Tigers of Arlington. I also just saw that Westwood beat MAHS last night, so that puts them in the playoffs with just one win. Thought this new playoff system was supposed to eliminate that kinda thing. Well anyway I will be pulling for them since I pull for all Memphis teams in the playoffs if they are playing someone not from the area of course. I will be on here later tonight to give a complete unbiased analysis of the game for KWC, TraderB and the Millington people that will not be able to attend the game.

Ok, so I read your post and think - hmmm.....Westwood must have barely pulled out a win as we all know they are not the best team around. Then I checked the score. 52-0??????? :thumb: Did they play MAHS or MAHS's cheerleaders? For a team that has done as poorly as them this year to do that to any football team is quite a surprise. Good job on coming to play Westwood. Good luck to all tonight......EXCEPT for the Arlington Tigers!!! :thumb:

Where is BlackhavenSenator when you need him?

Respect Da Haven!

Trojanarmy and fourthree picking against my beloved Whitehaven Tigers ... How dare they! ... dry.gif

(Did that come across as if I felt indignant ... 'cause that's what I was shooting for! ... LOL ... :thumb: )

*cough* *cough* ... again ... How dare they!

HAVE NO FEAR DA SENATOR OF BLACKHAVEN IS HERE...

I can't see why anyone can see Mitchell beating us... I am so F'N glad to see that there is someone out who thinks they can! 7 pm can't get here fast enough!

fourthree and trojanarmy are gone on that BAY LOL :thumb:

Whitehaven- 14

Mitchell- 26

I wish that this one was being played on a better field so that the athleticism could fully be displayed an appreciated. Even with that, my pick would be the same; I just would feel better about it.

U honestly believe that Mitchell will hold us to 2 scores... WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?

:thumb::thumb:Respect Da Haven

Dou

I'm fine, and it is fun. I'm disagreeing, but I'm not attacking anyone personally. Unlike some of the others on here. BTW, I'm probably older than you. 18.. :thumb: funny stuff.

Good luck to you and your team, this week and the rest of the season.

1st....welcome aboard! It's always good to see passionate fans join in to talk high school ball.

2nd....congrats to the obvious progress Arlington has made. Their schedule this year looks similar to what they had last year, and the wins/losses columns are going much better.

A bit of history....some of the local public schools, such as Millington, White Station, Whitehaven....have had several good years. Making it into the playoffs, and everyone thinking they were serious contenders to bring home the state trophy.

It seems Whitehaven has found ways to self destruct each year in the playoffs. Millington and White Station have made it to semi-final games where we ran into the Nashville rep, and lost. As a result, these teams have taken efforts to schedule tougher games locally. You'll notice games scheduled against CBHS, MUS, Olive Branch (Millington), and you can also see how MUS has gone into MS to play tough teams there. This is all done to elevate their opportunity to play at a higher level, so when playoff time comes around, perhaps we (West Tn team) can find a way to win a championship.

We can all see WS's losses to CBHS and MUS, Millington has 3 losses to their tougher opponents. Whitehaven has one blemish so far. Yet when we get into our regular games in our divisions/regions...we do pretty well. But based upon our performance against those other teams, it looks like whoever meets a Nashville area team will probably lose. Hopefully, after some time with tougher schedules, a West Tn team will find a way to get past Nashville.

This relates to Arlington in a couple of ways. Arlington has just discovered how to win. Once they get to playing tougher teams, the scores will get closer, and injuries likely to increase. You'll probably see an occassional loss pop up on your record. You'll find out how the Overton's of this area don't prepare your team to face the MUS's or CBHS's of this area, nor will you be prepared for the Nashville area teams.

So you will want to get a tougher schedule to measure yourself against....to see where you need to improve. Everyones ultimate goal is to win state. That doesn't mean you aren't having a wonderful season. But if you don't win state, your season ends on a loss, and you'll wish you had won that game too. I'm happy with the past 3 seasons at WS, proud of the players and coaches. But I do wish we could see success when it comes to a semi-final game...and a championship game.

So enjoy what you've got going, but understand the voices you hear on coacht are basically letting you know that Arlington has plenty to feel good about, but the journey isn't finished. There's rough spots ahead, and your schedule will reflect your ability to handle those spots.

Last item....IF Arlington was to win its way into a semi-final game this season (or beyond), you will find all of us jumping on the bandwagon pulling for the team representing the West. We all know this is about the kids and we're all good sports about the thing. :thumb:

Sorry for the ramble.....but I do that sometimes. :thumb:

Spartanfan, i could not have said it better myself, WELL DONE!

First, I want to appologize to everybody for being late with this week's topic.

With that out of the way, let's talk about this week's games. It's Week 8 and some teams only have two games left on their schedule. This is going to be a good week for Friday night lights! It's do or die for some teams. Some districts will be put into focus with the games played this Friday. Other districts will have to still weed out teams until the last games of the season. With no further adieu let's get down to the nitty gritty shall we?

Division I

District 14:

Craigmont (5A, 6-1, 2-1) @ Arlington (6A, 8-0, 4-0)

District 15:

Germantown (6A, 6-1, 4-0) vs Wooddale (6A, 6-1, 4-0) @ Halle [To decide who the King of District 15 will be]

Kirby (6A, 2-5, 2-2) @ Collierville (6A, 2-5, 1-3) [if Kirby wins they are in the post season]

District 16:

Whitehaven (6A, 6-1, 2-1) vs Mitchell (5A, 6-1, 3-1) @ J.P. Freeman [speed, Speed, and more Speed]

Division II

Class A

ECS (A, 6-1, 4-0) @ FACS (A, 7-0, 4-0) [To decide who is the King of DII-A]

Class AA

Briarcrest (AA, 5-2, 0-0) @ CBHS (AA, 6-1, 0-0) [Possibly playing for the number 2 spot in D-II]

Well .. that's it for me. These games are big in one of two ways. Either they help decide a post season qualifier or they are a big draw or both. My picks are as follows:

Craigmont slows down Mr. Poole & Co. enough to win ................... 24-17

Wooddale plays good sound assignment defense and beats G-town ... 21-13

Kirby has more 'O' the Collierville can handle ................................ 28-13

Whitehaven plays solid, sound, and disciplined and wins ................ 21-16 (Yes ... I'm a homer!)

ECS gets the job done and is the top dog winning ........................ 24-14

CBHS just has more and wins ................................................... 17-14.

That's it for me. What do you guys think?

My Picks:

Craigmont wins a close on 21-17, thinks with so much talk about Arlington people are forgetting that Craigmont is improved and a pretty good team.

Woodale over Gtown 28-17

Collierville beats Kirby 34-21, not one most agree with

Whitehaven wins against Mitchell 28-21, WH haven not waiting on wildcard going for 2nd place overall.

ECS win, CBHS win, who cares they all make the playoffs anyway.

Whitehaven- 14

Mitchell- 26

I wish that this one was being played on a better field so that the athleticism could fully be displayed an appreciated. Even with that, my pick would be the same; I just would feel better about it.

U honestly believe that Mitchell will hold us to 2 scores... WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?

:thumb::thumb:Respect Da Haven

No, it will not just be Mitchell holding you to 2 scores. I honestly believe that your execution, scheme, decisions, coupled with a couple of mistakes, will help them to hold you to 2 scores. If I felt that Whitehaven's basic plan was to line up and for the most part make Mitchell stop a physical between-the-tackles running game, I would actually pick Whitehaven in this game. With that said, if you do that, then I pick Whitehaven to win. But, I think that you guys will go more spread than anything; and with Mitchell's speed and athleticsm, combined with the fact that Whitehaven has yet to prove that its offensive scheme really works against a good defense, forms the basis of my pick- Mitchell winning.

What are the playoff implications between WH and Mitchell tonight?

I feel pretty sure this is a big game in the standings for both teams. Mitchell is not new to big games and playoff pressure and WH is typically there every year also, i have no knowledge of these teams but would think WH would be deeper and more talented but it sounds like that might not be the case. I will still pick WH to win this because i stick with my 6A brothers and they should beat a 5A team. Might eat some crow on this one but it is my best uneducated guess.

WOW my first day back in Memphis and i get to see a great game. If it was 22 on 22 we could win, it is hard with Whitehaven depth. Our former principal moved us up two classes, a shool with only 1000 students playing 6-a is crazy, but guess what "we aint sced", blackhavensr meet me at the concession stand at HT, i wil nhave on a brown striped suit.

Spartansfan you got it just right. I take back everything I ever said about WS edumucation. :thumb:

Good luck to all tonight. Stay warm. Stay injury free. I wish I could be at Arlington tonight but got other obligations.

BlackHavenSenator I just feel that an upset is due for someone this week and I believe it will be in this game. I don't necessarily feel that Mitchell is a better ball team.

Doug I will call for game updates.

FIGHT TROJANS FIGHT

NEVER GIVE UP