5A Playoffs the way I see it....after week 9.

randymc

WHEW!... lots of good discussion here. I, too, have drawn out numerous scenarios all season when it comes to this bum-fuzzled play-off system they have concocted this year. My one question however is why is Henry Co. continued to be lumped into this "quad 4" that has been so heavily discussed. (And, yea, I'm from HC). When this play-off system was first introduced and we re-joined the "Clarksville bunch" (again) for district play, I knew then that we (being a geographic stepchild) would probably be hosting/playing the "Memphis bunch" (again). It's really no problem as we have been accustomed to that for the last few years. I was just wishing, however, that we might get to play someone new this year... seems like we continue to have to play "thru Melrose" (which, again, is no problem - bring 'em on!) but if Lawrence County is separated from their district to join Memphis, why wouldn't Columbia, as well? (Pretty much the same distance to Memphis). A previous poster considered a Clarksville team making the "quad 4" but a response was too many $$ for them... well, the same exists for HC?! We are much closer to the Clarksville/Beech/Glencliff group than Memphis. I'm just wanting some new blood but I also think five 5A teams will be coming out of our district, so breaking us up may be better than having 2 play each other (which IS allowed, according to the rules). I just am wishing for a "new" team to play....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHEW!... lots of good discussion here. I, too, have drawn out numerous scenarios all season when it comes to this bum-fuzzled play-off system they have concocted this year. My one question however is why is Henry Co. continued to be lumped into this "quad 4" that has been so heavily discussed. (And, yea, I'm from HC). When this play-off system was first introduced and we re-joined the "Clarksville bunch" (again) for district play, I knew then that we (being a geographic stepchild) would probably be hosting/playing the "Memphis bunch" (again). It's really no problem as we have been accustomed to that for the last few years. I was just wishing, however, that we might get to play someone new this year... seems like we continue to have to play "thru Melrose" (which, again, is no problem - bring 'em on!) but if Lawrence County is separated from their district to join Memphis, why wouldn't Columbia, as well? (Pretty much the same distance to Memphis). A previous poster considered a Clarksville team making the "quad 4" but a response was too many $$ for them... well, the same exists for HC?! We are much closer to the Clarksville/Beech/Glencliff group than Memphis. I'm just wanting some new blood but I also think five 5A teams will be coming out of our district, so breaking us up may be better than having 2 play each other (which IS allowed, according to the rules). I just am wishing for a "new" team to play....

I think the distance from Memphis is NOT a relevant issue...sense there seems to be NO Memphis schools that will actually host. It would make more sense just to how far a school is from Jackson.(the center point of West TN).....remember...Bristol is the furthest point of East TN...but nobody is saying why they shouldn't play a team in Pod 1 because they are too far away from Bristol. The fact is...Henry Co. is closer to West TN's center point..thus will be playing in Quad 4 regardless of who else is in it and HC will host. Yes Twillie, Quad 4 will be the toughest road to the final...but would you expect anything else? There are several quality teams in Memphis that have to play each other..therefore their records indicate to most others across the state that these teams aren't very good....of course, you and I and those who have seen them over the years know different! Let the games begin!! Go Big Red!

I think the distance from Memphis is NOT a relevant issue...sense there seems to be NO Memphis schools that will actually host. It would make more sense just to how far a school is from Jackson.(the center point of West TN).....remember...Bristol is the furthest point of East TN...but nobody is saying why they shouldn't play a team in Pod 1 because they are too far away from Bristol. The fact is...Henry Co. is closer to West TN's center point..thus will be playing in Quad 4 regardless of who else is in it and HC will host. Yes Twillie, Quad 4 will be the toughest road to the final...but would you expect anything else? There are several quality teams in Memphis that have to play each other..therefore their records indicate to most others across the state that these teams aren't very good....of course, you and I and those who have seen them over the years know different! Let the games begin!! Go Big Red!

Thanks, Advisor, and I appreciate your reply but (according to the TSSAA), your first statement is false. Distance IS the relevant issue. The whole reason for the change in HS football play-offs IS geography. They (TSSAA) wanted to hold down travel distance. Therefore (again) we are closer to the schools I mentioned in the Clarksville/Nashville area than Memphis (and, yes, we will host but a couple of Memphis teams will have to "travel" over 2 hours to get here). As I mentioned, I realize we are a geographic stepchild and the "Memphis" area schools (incl. Jackson, Hardin) will only have 6 teams make the play-offs. My question was, since Lawrence Co. will probably have to join in, why wouldn't Columbia as well (they are basically beside each other). And the Bristol scenario you commented on doesn't have the same problem. There will be at least 9 teams from the first 3 districts making the playoffs - all within an hour (or less) from each other - so the odd man there will have to play 1 hour west rather than east.... still fairly close. Again, I just would like to play Glencliff, Gallatin, Beech... someone, ANYONE "different" for a change.

If you look at the map, lawrence co. is southwest, henry co. is northwest, and columbia is north of lawrence co and further east. It only make sense for henry co. to go west. henry co. shouldn't even be in 5a! move up to your class and you will be in the middle tn bracket.

Henry Co. is in the right class for their enrollment and should be in 5a! Please know what you're talking about before spouting off and looking like a fool!

If you look at the map, lawrence co. is southwest, henry co. is northwest, and columbia is north of lawrence co and further east. It only make sense for henry co. to go west. henry co. shouldn't even be in 5a! move up to your class and you will be in the middle tn bracket.

Henry Co. is in the right class for their enrollment and should be in 5a! Please know what you're talking about before spouting off and looking like a fool!

Strike a nerve! I guess going west in the playoffs is wrong also?

I know this is close to some others guesses also but here is mine listed what I think will be 1-8 things can change depending on games tonight and tomorrow:

Pod 1

Tennessee

Sullivan South

Morristown West

Anderson Co.

Daniel Boone

Powell

Morristown East

Seymour

POD 2

Clinton

Gallatin

Beech

Knoxville Catholic

Cumberland Co.

Glenciff

Cleveland

Hendersonville (WC)

POD 3

Columbia

NE

NW

Hillsboro/Centenial Winner

CHS (WC)

Shelbyville (WC)

Tullahoma (WC)

Springfield (WC)

POD 4

Henry Co.

Lawrence Co.

Jackson NS

Craigmont

Hardin Co.

Melrose

Mitchell

Ridgeway

I know this is close to some others guesses also but here is mine listed what I think will be 1-8 things can change depending on games tonight and tomorrow:

Pod 1

Tennessee

Sullivan South

Morristown West

Anderson Co.

Daniel Boone

Powell

Morristown East

Seymour

POD 2

Clinton

Gallatin

Beech

Knoxville Catholic

Cumberland Co.

Glenciff

Cleveland

Hendersonville (WC)

POD 3

Columbia

NE

NW

CHS (WC)

Shelbyville (WC)

Tullahoma (WC)

Springfield (WC)

POD 4

Henry Co.

Lawrence Co.

Jackson NS

Craigmont

Hardin Co.

Melrose

Mitchell

Ridgeway

If Anderson County wins, that will push either CLinton or Knox Cath into Quad 1.

So where does the TSSAA say anything about seeding? According to the by laws at http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/football.pdf at the top of page 4, it states "In Class 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A, the teams will be geographically grouped into four eight-team quadrants. This grouping will be done without regard to region alignments. The teams within each quadrant are placed in the bracket so that teams from the same district will not play each other in the first round. The only exception would be when 5 or more teams from the same district qualify for the play-offs and all 5 teams are in the same geographic quadrant.

After teams from the same district have been separated, placements are then arranged with priorities given to automatic qualifiers. Teams finishing 1st in their district will receive highest priority. Teams finishing 2nd in their district will receive second priority. Teams not finishing 1st or 2nd in their district but finishing in the top half of their subdivision will be given third priority, followed by wild card qualifiers."

Will they "seed" based on the wildcard standings after the district teams have been separated for first round games?

Easy on the name calling! I couldn't help myself to look and see if I could find enrollements for schools in TN. I found some pretty interesting numbers when I went looking. This site shows every schools numbers and I am really confused now on how this classification thing works. Here is the site:http://high-schools.com/report/tn/public-school-enrollment-rank-in-tennessee.html. With these numbers it looks as if some 6A schools should be 5A and some 5A schools should be 6A. Columbia and Frankin County really stood out. Could someone explain how classification works? Please!!

Pod 1

Tennessee

Sullivan South

Morristown West

Anderson Co.

Daniel Boone

Powell

Morristown East

Seymour

POD 2

Clinton

Gallatin

Beech

Knoxville Catholic

Cumberland Co.

Glenciff

Cleveland

Hendersonville (WC)

POD 3

Columbia

NE

NW

CHS (WC)

Shelbyville (WC)

Tullahoma (WC)

Springfield (WC)

POD 4

Henry Co.

Lawrence Co.

Jackson NS

Craigmont

Hardin Co.

Melrose

Mitchell

Ridgeway

If Anderson County wins, that will push either CLinton or Knox Cath into Quad 1.

This doens't look right to me but yo never know. I really don't think there will be 4 wildcard teams in POD3. This may be the case but if this happens it would surprise me. POD4 looks suspect also. If Hardin County looses as it appears you have it then they will be lower than what you have here. I see them being the #6 or #7 team. Lawrence county will also be a stretch at the #2 spot here and I am not convinced they will be in this Pod at all. If travel and $$'s come into this then I see LCHS/Hardin facing each other in first round. Just my thoughts and I am not downing anything you have here. It looks like you put some thought into it!

B) The jackets of springfield will be happy to play anywhere! B) For a young team that was supposed to win one game, and to be on the verge of a chance to go to the dance. The team does not care who or where they play. 32 teams with the same record next week. 0-0 from what I see. However, for this to happen the jackets truly need a Daniel Boone team to take care of David Crocket! This happens and the Jackets do their jobs and win tonight vs West Creek, then all records are out the door, and the new season begins for all 5A teams. From what I see, anyone can win any night in the next 5 weeks.

:huh: