Click Here if You Want to Get Rid of the Z Plan

GetRidofSystem

FOR THOSE of you who would like to see a change in the classification and playoff system these are the guys who can make a difference. Bernard Childress does not make the rules nor does he have the final say. The TSSAA board of controls can vote in TWO weeks to do away with the current system. IF you like to see 1-9 teams make the playoffs or if you enjoy watching your 1A, 3A, & 5A team being penalized by forcing them to play a class above then go ahead.

BERNARD only wants to slap a band-aid on this thing. PER Article in the Tennessean.----Prep Football Playoff won’t face a total revision. That’s OK , but you don’t make the decision’s BERNARD.

THIS can be done. The Board of Controls needs to put this thing up for a vote. If the following men represent your school then you need to contact your school principal or the Board of Control Member ASAP before the vote in two weeks. THEY NEED to listen to the FANS. WE PAY the money to go and watch these games. MOST of us don’t want to see this crappy system or classification anymore!!!!

WE NEED TO RECLASSIFY EVERYONE!!! WE NEED TO separate the classes. THERE IS NO justification why 5A & 6A teams have, and etc.. HAVE to play each other to earn playoff spots. GET RID OF IT.

Six of the nine Board of Control members were contacted this week, and all six agreed with Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association executive director Bernard Childress that the system should be tweaked.

But unlike Childress suggested Saturday, there will be no immediate return to the old playoff format, which took the top four teams from each region.

"It would be very difficult to go back to the old system because right now we're in the middle of a two-year (game) contract period," Childress said.

COACHES have said all across the state that these contract can be ripped up and WE CAN start over again.

Childress plans to address his concerns about the new format at the Board of Control meeting Nov. 19. Only the Board of Control can make changes, and the executive director doesn't have a vote.

CONTACT these people or your principals and tell them how you feel. YOU DO HAVE A SAY. Your principals elect the board members every two years. Lets re-classify and get rid of the system!!!

Mike Reed-Morristown West formerly at???? no contact info

Schools Served: Cherokee,Chuckey-Doak,Claiborne County,Clinch,Cloudland,Cocke County,Cosby,Cumberland Gap,Daniel Boone,David Crockett,Dobyns Bennett,Elizabethton,Gatlinburg-Pittman,Greeneville,Hampton,Hancock County,Happy Valley,J. Frank White,Jefferson County,Johnson County,Kings Academy,Knoxville Carter,Morristown East,Morristown West,North Greene,Pigeon Forge,Rutledge,Science Hill,Sevier County,Seymour,South Greene,Sullivan Central,Sullivan East,Sullivan North,Sullivan South,Tennessee High,Unaka,Unicoi County,Univ. School - JC,Volunteer,Washburn,West Greene

Lynn Brown-Maryville send e-mail directly from Maryville High School Web Page to Mr. Brown

Schools Served: Alcoa,Anderson County,Austin-East,Bearden,Berean Christian,CAK,Campbell County,Clinton,Coalfield,Farragut,Gibbs,Greenback,Harriman,Heritage,Jellico,Karns,Kingston,Knoxville Catholic,Knoxville Central,Knoxville Christian,Knoxville Fulton,Knoxville Grace,Knoxville Halls,Knoxville Webb,Knoxville West,Lenoir City,Loudon,Maryville,McMinn Central,McMinn County,Midway,Oak Ridge,Oakdale,Oliver Springs,Oneida,Powell,Rockwood,Scott County,Sequoyah,South Doyle,Sunbright,Sweetwater,Tellico Plains,TSD,Union County,Walker Academy,Wartburg Centr

Tommy Layne-Sequatchie County High School tlayne@sequatchie.k12tn.tn.us

Schools Served: 21st Century,Bachman,Baylor,Bledsoe County,Boyd Buchanan,Bradley Central,Brainerd,Chattanooga Central,Chattanooga Christian,Chattanooga Grace,Cleveland,Collegedale,Copper Basin,CSAS,David Brainerd,East Ridge,GPS,Grundy County,Hixson,Howard,Lookout Valley,Marion County,McCallie,Meigs County,Notre Dame,Ooltewah,Polk County,Red Bank,Rhea County,Richard Hardy,Sale Creek,Sequatchie County,Silverdale,Soddy-Daisy,South Pittsburg,Temple,Tyner,Walker Valley,Whitwell

Jerry Mathis-Tullahoma High School mathisJ@k12tn.net

Schools Served: Blackman,Cannon County,Cascade,Clarkrange,Clay County,Coffee County,Community,Cookeville,Cornersville,Cumberland County,DeKalb County,Eagleville,F.C. Boyd, Sr.,Forrest,Franklin County,Friendship Christian,Gordonsville,Huntland,Jackson County,LaVergne,Lebanon,Lincoln County,Livingston Academy,Marshall County,Middle TN Chr.,Monterey,Moore County,Mt. Juliet,Mt. Juliet Christian,Oakland,Pickett County,Riverdale,Shelbyville,Siegel,Smith County,Smyrna,St. Andrews,Stone Memorial,Tullahoma,Upperman,Van Buren,Warren County,Watertown,Webb School,White County,Wilson Central,York Institute

OPEN SEAT - Election is next week for these to men Steve Chauncy (Hillwood, will not reclassify or do anything to fix it) or Bob Gideon (Portland, will vote to re-classify)

Schools Served: Antioch,Beech,Big Picture,Clarksville,Clarksville Academy,Clarksville Northeast,Clarksville Northwest,CPA,David Lipscomb,Davidson Academy,DCA,East Literature,East Robertson,Ensworth,Ezell-Harding,Father Ryan,FRA,Gallatin,Glencliff,Goodpasture,Greenbrier,Harpeth Hall,Hendersonville,Hillsboro,Hillwood,Hume-Fogg,Hunters Lane,Jo Byrns,Kenwood,Macon County,Maplewood,MBA,McGavock,Merrol Hyde,MLK,Montgomery Central,N. Middle College,Nashville Arts,Nashville Christian,Nashville Community,Nashville Overton,Pearl Cohn,Pope John Paul,Portland,Red Boiling Springs,Rossview,Springfield,St. Cecilia,Station Camp,Stewart County,Stratford,Trousdale County,TSB,USN,Westmoreland,White House,White House Heritage,Whites Creek

Bryan True-Summertown High School shs_principal@lcss.us

Schools Served: BGA,Brentwood,Brentwood Academy,Centennial,Cheatham County,Collinwood,Columbia,Columbia Academy,Creek Wood,Culleoka,Dickson County,East Hickman,Fairview,Frank Hughes,Franklin,Giles County,Hampshire,Harpeth,Hickman County,Houston County,Independence,Lawrence County,Lewis County,Loretto,McEwen,Mt. Pleasant,Page,Perry County,Ravenwood,Richland,Santa Fe,Spring Hill,Summertown,Sycamore,Waverly,Wayne County,Zion Christian

Fred Kessler-Bolivar Central High School kesslerF@k12tn.net

Schools Served: Adamsville,Big Sandy,Bolivar Central,Camden,Carroll Academy,Chester County,Clarksburg,Fayette Academy,Fayette Ware,Hardin County,Henry County,Hollow Rock-Bruceton,Huntingdon,Jackson Central-Merry,Jackson Christian,Jackson Northside,Jackson South Side,Lexington,Liberty Magnet,Madison Magnet,McKenzie,McNairy Central,Middleton,Riverside,Rossville,Scotts Hill,Trinity Christian,USJ,West Carroll

Chuck West-Dresden High School westc2@k12tn.net

Schools Served: Bradford,Brighton,Covington,Crockett County,Dresden,Dyer County,Dyersburg,Gibson County,Gleason,Greenfield,Halls,Haywood County,Humboldt,Lake County,Milan,Munford,Obion County,Peabody,Ripley,South Fulton,Union City,Westview

Ike White-Hamilton High School formerly at???? no contact info

Schools Served: Arlington,Bartlett,Bishop Byrne,Bolton,Booker T. Washington,Briarcrest,Carver,CBHS,Collierville,Cordova,Craigmont,ECS,Elliston,FACS,Fairley,Frayser,Germantown,Hamilton,Harding Academy,Hillcrest,Houston,Hutchison,Immaculate Conception,Kingsbury,Kirby,Lausanne,M. Middle College,Manassas,MASE,Melrose,Memphis Catholic,Memphis Central,Memphis East,Memphis Liberal Arts,Memphis Northside,Memphis Overton,Millington,Mitchell,MUS,Oakhaven,Phoenix,Raleigh Egypt,Ridgeway,Rosemark,SBEC,Sheffield,Southwind,St. Agnes,St. Benedict,St. George's,St. Mary's,Treadwell,Trezevant,Westwood,White Station,Whitehaven,Wooddale

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The classification system and especially the playoff system is horrible. I read the article and think the best way is to scrap this system which is ridiculous and start fresh. The guy from Maryville is always quoted and he is always opposite of what should happen in my opinion. Even the Maryville people think the guy is nuts.

In my little world the state goes to 4 classifications across the board for every sport. In football take the top 2 out of the 16 districts. Quit whinning and trying to please everybody. It will cut down on travel during the season, keep traditional rivals, and make the playoffs where everybody can understand them. Very simple.

The classification system and especially the playoff system is horrible. I read the article and think the best way is to scrap this system which is ridiculous and start fresh. The guy from Maryville is always quoted and he is always opposite of what should happen in my opinion. Even the Maryville people think the guy is nuts.

In my little world the state goes to 4 classifications across the board for every sport. In football take the top 2 out of the 16 districts. Quit whinning and trying to please everybody. It will cut down on travel during the season, keep traditional rivals, and make the playoffs where everybody can understand them. Very simple.

That is the plan I dropped of at TSSAA Headquarters Monday :roflolk:

I called for 8 regions of 9-10 teams each with top four making it.

That is the plan I dropped of at TSSAA Headquarters Monday :roflolk:

Anything is better than the system we have in place now..what a complete mess. :thumb:

Folks we have to face some facts. One is opinions do NOT matter to the T$$AA, MONEY does!

To get a reasonable system we got to give first for them to even listen. For this I propose a method of getting the T$$AA more money during the year and NOT just at playoff time. If schools will give just $.25-.50 from each ticket sold during the year it should more than make up for any losses at playoff time. This should apply to all sports and would balance the income over the whole year instead of them just grabbing the bulk at playoff time.

If something like this is not considered there is the other option that I favor and that is FIRE the T$$AA and starting another system that is more school friendly. They need us much more than we need them! dry.gif

Folks we have to face some facts. One is opinions do NOT matter to the T$$AA, MONEY does!

To get a reasonable system we got to give first for them to even listen. For this I propose a method of getting the T$$AA more money during the year and NOT just at playoff time. If schools will give just $.25-.50 from each ticket sold during the year it should more than make up for any losses at playoff time. This should apply to all sports and would balance the income over the whole year instead of them just grabbing the bulk at playoff time.

If something like this is not considered there is the other option that I favor and that is FIRE the T$$AA and starting another system that is more school friendly. They need us much more than we need them! dry.gif

TSSAA gets a cut from tickets sales at other district and regional tournaments in other sports already...

I know David about the other ticket sales. What I am proposing is them getting a cut from EVERY ticket that is sold in the state from EVERY sport. A balanced budget is something new for most Politicians. :roflol:

Seriously though this will hopefully allow them to be reasonable at playoff time and not need as many playoff games to base their yearly income on. Twenty Five to Fifty cents from every game will add up much more than hammering folks at playoff time.

Some of the people complaining would really complain if there were only 4 classifications. Think about being one of the smallest schools in the highest classification. I think that would be a mess. I'm not sure having 6 classifications is bad. I do think the current system needs reworked.

Find a way to accurately rank teams 1-32 in each class and then play out, with those rankings being the seeds. You have to get some type of "bonus" for a quality win (beating a quality opponent), to keep people from trying to fluff their schedule. You're not penalized for losses, rather awarded points for wins, bonuses for other ranked teams or higher classification, etc. Perhaps 1 point for a win over a lower classified opponent, 2 for same, 3 for higher, 1/2 point bonus for ranked team, etc. This is on the fly, but I'm sure that there could be some type of calculation formulated that would be better.

I don't believe the problem is with the number of classification, but with how the automatic bids are awarded. If you are going to keep the same system for determining the playoffs, at least change how the automatics are awarded, as well as the seeding and quadrants.

I also don't like playing teams from the same district/region in the first or second rounds. I know we deal with the travel issue, but if the two best teams in a classification are in the same district they should be able to play in the championship. I think with all the good games we are going to see in the first round this year, there will be some not-so-good game deeper in the playoffs, I just hope none of those are in the championship... I don't have the answer, but I think everyone would like to see the best two teams in the championship.