Maryville vs. McMinn County - 2nd Round

Red Rebels

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McMinn has the talent NO DOUBT.

So, what exactly happened the first time? You left all your lineman & talent at home? I don't think so. Talk it up however you want, but this one ends the same. Macmenn has improved & Maryville has improved. Time to be honest on here - Macmenn will have to play out of their minds to stay w/in 2 TD's & will need 4+ turnovers (on top of playing out of their minds) to make it close.

Bottom line: slow & steady for MHS & they win by 3 TD's

I'm glad that George Quarles won't let this team get as overconfident as some of our fans seem to be . This team has had to fight and scrap all year to get to where they're at . The Alcoa loss was a huge wake up call for everyone . Maryville has already proven all the haters wrong who said over and over " Can't play with the big boys " . I won't disrespect the McMinn Co. fans who are obviously excited at the prospects of playing Maryville , and are trying to come up with reasons this game will be different . Maryville has been to this " Rodeo " way too many times not to know that just because you beat a team handily In the regular season , It doesn't mean you will In the Playoffs . There Is a do or die effort that just can't be duplicated In the regular season .

This Maryville team has Improved as much or more than the 2000 team under Coach Quarles . That team started out 0-4 , but went on to win every game after that start . The common factor between those 2 teams ( 2000, & 2009 ) being Youth . Both teams were loaded with Sophomore starters , and thanks to the excellent coaching and dedication of our young men , this Maryville team has up till now maximized It's potential .

Win or Lose , this Maryville team has become one of my all time favorite teams . They have played with as much Heart as any Maryville team I've ever seen . When they were down against Catholic & Farragut , this team could of run and hid , but Instead , they picked themselves up and Roared like the Mighty Champions they are !! There were a lot of our own fans doubting these guys at these games , but these young men and our fine Coaches sure didn't have any doubts .

Great post pepvol! You are correct in your assessment. In fact, some of the so called "Maryville Fans" should be ashamed of the way they acted in the stands some Friday/Thursday nights. Everyone knew this team was young going into the season. It seems some conveniently forgot that fact come game time. I think many maryville people are trying to re-live their youth through the football team every year. Why don't we all realize that these boys are 15-18 year old young men who give their best each and every night they put on the uniform. Some of the criticism heard in the stands was disgusting. Even the NFL players make mistakes so let's not crucify high school boys for the same.

This Maryville team has grown tremendously since August and win or lose this postseason will be that much better come next season and the season beyond that. If we are willing to tout the fact that Maryville is 137-4 since the 0-4 start in 2000, then let's also be willing to admit that the coaching staff knows what they are doing in how they shuffle players in and out, call plays and who starts. And let's not be so quick to dismiss this year's players based on their youth.

McMinn has the talent NO DOUBT.

So, what exactly happened the first time? You left all your lineman & talent at home? I don't think so. Talk it up however you want, but this one ends the same. Macmenn has improved & Maryville has improved. Time to be honest on here - Macmenn will have to play out of their minds to stay w/in 2 TD's & will need 4+ turnovers (on top of playing out of their minds) to make it close.

Bottom line: slow & steady for MHS & they win by 3 TD's

Have you been reading the posts? McMinn had several starters out the 1st time around against Maryville. That game was a joke. Maryville killed us!!!! Also if you read my post you will see that I have not said I believe McMinn will beat Maryville Friday. What I have said is that McMinn, along with Maryville I'm sure, has improved tremendously. Of course, I would love an upset, but I'm not sure it will happen. I'm not "talking" it up...ask Ooletwah fans what happens when they become so arrogant they bash their own players after a loss...I'm simply stating that McMinn is a different ball team now. I realize you don't know that because you don't follow the Cherokees week in and week out. GO TRIBE!!!!!!!

I think MC has a ton of talent however in the first game at MHS they seemed to be unorganized and lacked discipline. Running off 8 wins is definitely a confidence booster but if they try to rely on athleticism only the result will be the same. Maryville has been out athleted several times and came away with a win. If you don't believe me then go ask some Hillsboro or Melrose fans who had the better athletes. I heard a great coach say one time "1 on 1 we can't play with them but 11 on 11 we can beat them".

well not losing at home since 2001 is great....for them. like is said the wow factors dont really get to the kids from mcminn, they come from a twon that has really nothing but football, so getting wow'ed is something that they are over now.

Ok, I like checking up on my old school so I stop by and read a couple articles here and there...but I registered just to reply to this post. Don't know if your familiar with the school and their sports programs, but the soccer teams there have won waaay more than the football program the past 7-8 years.

I've been to a couple games, and it's going to take Ables playing smart with no turn overs for them to win anything. He's a bit like Crompton, he's going to play lights out, or play like he's in a dark room. Oh, and making a couple extra point attempts wont hurt them either.....

I think MC has a ton of talent however in the first game at MHS they seemed to be unorganized and lacked discipline. Running off 8 wins is definitely a confidence booster but if they try to rely on athleticism only the result will be the same. Maryville has been out athleted several times and came away with a win. If you don't believe me then go ask some Hillsboro or Melrose fans who had the better athletes. I heard a great coach say one time "1 on 1 we can't play with them but 11 on 11 we can beat them".

So very true!!!! That's exactly why I said earlier play calling may hurt us! NO disrespect AT ALL to our HC, but the experience Maryville's staff has may hurt us. In order for McMinn to even think about an upset many things will have to happen....athleticism is only one of them. OL must protect Cy. Our kicking game must be at its best, the Defense will need to play as they have the last 8 games, Tevin and Travis will need to be on fire.... Cy will need to see his rec. And of course, great play calling.....GO TRIBE

I respect and have enojyed reading everyones opinion thus far. Im pretty excited about this one. From what I hear, the players have watch hours upon hours of film this week and come friday night, they will know everything about MC's players....including who their gf's are, what they ate that morning, among other things. I believe MC will give Maryville a geat game friday. The first half will be very close, MC will go into the half so pumped up and excited that they will lose focus when it matters the most. Maryville will do what Maryville always does and pull this one off towards the end for a 31-17 (14-17 MC at the half) win. I always give maryville less points and the other team more, just so that once the game is over I am still amazed at how this team is coached each game. Having said all that, I'd also like to admit that I had a dream (nightmare) that maryville lost 34-31. Just my opinion on the game.

Also, it seems like to me that in 98-99-00-01-02 people in the stands (parents and students) were A LOT lounder than they are now. I know taking the flags away had some part to play but it just doesn't seem like its the way it used to be. Looking at pictures and thinking about some of my memories from the past, I've noticed that maryville fans were a lot more into the games than they are now. I almost seems like that each year people are just expecting a great time that will go deep into the playoffs and probably win state. There is nothing like being on that field and having fans on their feet yelling and screaming for you and your team. IDK, it just might be me.