CAK vs Alcoa Part II

FootballDad

Once again, I can't explain why, but I'm excited about making a trip to "Tornado Alley." (For APB, I'll call it, "Tornadoe Valley.")

To the Maryville fan that posted the comment describing the difficult position of the Warriors, I'll say excellent point. You know, there is only one game in the entire state this week with only one loss between the 2 teams; in other words, the 2 teams combine for a record of 21 -1, and that is Alcoa vs. CAK. And they are meeting in the 2nd round? Second round??? I'll stop now.

Interestingly enough, the only match up ( I believe) with a combined record of 20-2 is between Loudon and Polk. Loudon's only 2 losses are to, guess who, Alcoa and CAK. Both of these match ups, and all 4 of these teams, are in quad 2. Is it possible that maybe the TSSAA can do a little better than this? That's simply not a level playing field.

Now, as far as this match up is concerned, the Warriors have their work cut out for them. Alcoa is as good of a team as there is in the state. CAK did an admirable job a couple of weeks ago, and now has the opportunity to play Alcoa again. Alcoa truly has an amazing team and truly amazing athletes. But I am always impressed with the way the Warriors play hard till the end. Football games are not played on paper. If they were, there would be no need to play this game. If there was ever a case of nothing to lose, this is it.

Best of luck to the CAK team and especially the seniors! Regardless of the outcome, you guys lead this team to a special season and we will never forget you. Here's hoping for a clean, well played game, with no injuries! :popcorneater:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm rooting for CAK on this one. For a team to face the only opponent, within two weeks, that they've lost too....bummer. It's time to for you guys to beat Alcoa. Go Warriors!!

Thanks for your support, I wish thats all it would take for us to get a victory against Alcoa. We'll bandage up our bruised group of crusaders and march into Tornado Alley. No guts, no glory. We could certainly use some of your Chargers to help us out on the field, but we're going to give it that "good ole college try". :popcorneater:

Looking forward to hosting our CAK friends at our venue. Of course I have to say GO TORNDOES but I wish the best to the CAK players, fans and families for a good hard fought game.

Mom, I almost feel as if Alcoa is a second home field for us as much as I have been over there the last couple of years. Of course to watch CAK vs Alcoa, but also on open dates or on your many Thursday night games :popcorneater: But its even better, I don't have to paint the field, flip burgers, run the chains, or clean up afterwards. :hungry: We're looking forward to coming over and making our annual donation at the ticket office. GO WARRIORS.

For CAK to have a chance, they have to get #15 and #21 the ball. I think they each caught one ball against Alcoa the first time. They both are in top 10 prepxtra receiving and did not get into the flow of the offense. They got the ball again last week and CAK put 30 plus on the board again. Obviously CAK did not play the defense last week that Alcoa has, but it would be nice to see them play to their strengths. Running #8 up the middle is not a strength against Alcoa

That's not always that easy when we have two of the finer DE's this side of the state has to offer :popcorneater:

For CAK to have a chance, they have to get #15 and #21 the ball. I think they each caught one ball against Alcoa the first time. They both are in top 10 prepxtra receiving and did not get into the flow of the offense. They got the ball again last week and CAK put 30 plus on the board again. Obviously CAK did not play the defense last week that Alcoa has, but it would be nice to see them play to their strengths. Running #8 up the middle is not a strength against Alcoa

I'll agree with you Shark about Alcoa being really tough up the middle on defense, BUT, I honestly believe we abandoned that part of our game way too early last time. Against McMinn Central we had a RB right at 100 yards rushing. If you review the Alcoa game you will notice that #8 actually had some 3-5 yard gains on rushes up the middle. Now that doesn't sound too sexy to fans accustom to seeing aerial quick strike scores like CAK demonstrates often against other opponents. But running the football keeps the clock moving, takes a bit of the pressure off the QB & receivers, helps slow down the pass rush, and prevents those LB's from dropping so quickly into pass coverage in the middle of the field. I believe we had several opportunities for the QB to tuck it and run and help move the chains, but we didn't take advantage of that. While I like #15 & #21 getting the ball down field, I believe we need to be a bit more patient offensively and take the underneath stuff that Alcoa was giving us. IMHO I don't believe the answer is continually trying to force the deep ball. Against great teams you have to shorten the game, eliminate mistakes & turnovers, minimize penalties, and hope your opponent helps you out somewhere along the way.

I agree on not going down field so much..too much pressure coming for receivers to complete routes. I am talking outs and curls to these guys and allow them to try to make something happen. Also would like to see some qjuick 1-2 step drops and hit our guys in the seam like Betsy did against us

A couple of things I see happening (or not happening) this week as compared to 2 weeks ago:

1) CAK will not score first. I thought our boys came out a little flat and were a little surprised by CAK running down the field. Nix won't allow that to happen again.

2) I honestly don't think the score will be quite as close as it was 2 weeks ago. Hopefully the refs will stay out of the game, so we'll see what will happen. I'm not whining about the refs, but I do get a little suspicious when a team has more penalties in one game than all of the other games put together. I'd say that no matter which way the calls were being made. That's all that needs to be said about that.

Alcoa "puts the hammer down" & wins this one by 21.

I'll agree with you Shark about Alcoa being really tough up the middle on defense, BUT, I honestly believe we abandoned that part of our game way too early last time. Against McMinn Central we had a RB right at 100 yards rushing. If you review the Alcoa game you will notice that #8 actually had some 3-5 yard gains on rushes up the middle. Now that doesn't sound too sexy to fans accustom to seeing aerial quick strike scores like CAK demonstrates often against other opponents. But running the football keeps the clock moving, takes a bit of the pressure off the QB & receivers, helps slow down the pass rush, and prevents those LB's from dropping so quickly into pass coverage in the middle of the field. I believe we had several opportunities for the QB to tuck it and run and help move the chains, but we didn't take advantage of that. While I like #15 & #21 getting the ball down field, I believe we need to be a bit more patient offensively and take the underneath stuff that Alcoa was giving us. IMHO I don't believe the answer is continually trying to force the deep ball. Against great teams you have to shorten the game, eliminate mistakes & turnovers, minimize penalties, and hope your opponent helps you out somewhere along the way.

I agree on not going down field so much..too much pressure coming for receivers to complete routes. I am talking outs and curls to these guys and allow them to try to make something happen. Also would like to see some qjuick 1-2 step drops and hit our guys in the seam like Betsy did against us

I totally agree, not just for this game, but for every game we play. Big problem, we do not run any plays with the QB under center. Your QB has to be under center to get the snap accurately enough with the laces and quick enough for the QB to get the ball up and out for that quick strike seam pass. Hitting #15 on a quick slant would be as effective as some of our long balls IMO because he is so fast after the catch he would chew up a lot of yardage before anyone could angle over and catch him. In the cover 2 that Alcoa runs he would possibly split the safeties and take it to the house. But that is a philisophical & scheme boundary that CAK wishes not to cross. I'm not sure why, but thats the way it is. Maybe in the future we will see some new wrinkles, but for now we are a shotgun only team.