Best defense in the state in 5A ?

couch qb

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanting some opinion's on who everyone thinks has the best D in the state in 5A ?

Just from teams i have seen here in the east.. I would have to rank Seymour and Daniel Boone in the top 5 for sure!

While I can't attest to what you've seen in the East...I find it hard to believe you can put ANY team in the "top 5" defenses that gave up 51 points (Daniel Boone)in a single game...(i don't care if they played Appalachian State)! On the other hand, if Seymour had one of the top 5 defenses...then they're season wouldn't be over with a record of 4-7....again....just my opinion!

Seymour gave up 168 points in 11 games...while Daniel Boone allowed 165 points and are still alive.

On the other hand..(or should I say..the other side of the state)..Lawrence County has only allowed 131 points through 11 games (55 of those points were allowed during the first 2 games of the year in their losses to Columbia and Giles County) but will certainly be stretched this week against Memphis Mitchell...the Green Wave from Gallatin have only had 127 points scored against them (42 of the 127 were given up in a shoot out against Mt. Juliet), and of course, the Patriots of Henry County who have been to the semis each of the last 3 years apparently has their best defense over this period of time allowing only 112 points on the season through 11 games!

By the numbers...or "top 5"

1. Henry County 112 points allowed

2. Gallatin 127 points allowed

3. Lawrence County 131 points allowed

4. Tennessee High 140 points allowed

5. Clarksville Northeast 142 points allowed

Then "by the numbers" Mitchell, then Clinton, then Daniel Boone, then Seymour, then Columbia, then Melrose, the Beech.....Sullivan South, Knox Catholic, Anderson County, and Hillsboro have all allowed over 200 points through 11 games thus far!

Just wanting some opinion's on who everyone thinks has the best D in the state in 5A ?

Just from teams i have seen here in the east.. I would have to rank Seymour and Daniel Boone in the top 5 for sure!

While I can't attest to what you've seen in the East...I find it hard to believe you can put ANY team in the "top 5" defenses that gave up 51 points (Daniel Boone)in a single game...(i don't care if they played Appalachian State)! On the other hand, if Seymour had one of the top 5 defenses...then they're season wouldn't be over with a record of 4-7....again....just my opinion!

Seymour gave up 168 points in 11 games...while Daniel Boone allowed 165 points and are still alive.

On the other hand..(or should I say..the other side of the state)..Lawrence County has only allowed 131 points through 11 games (55 of those points were allowed during the first 2 games of the year in their losses to Columbia and Giles County) but will certainly be stretched this week against Memphis Mitchell...the Green Wave from Gallatin have only had 127 points scored against them (42 of the 127 were given up in a shoot out against Mt. Juliet), and of course, the Patriots of Henry County who have been to the semis each of the last 3 years apparently has their best defense over this period of time allowing only 112 points on the season through 11 games!

Then "by the numbers" Mitchell, then Clinton, then Daniel Boone, then Seymour, then Columbia, then Melrose, the Beech.....Sullivan South, Knox Catholic, Anderson County, and Hillsboro have all allowed over 200 points through 11 games thus far!

Your top 5 is incorrect.

I would have to rank Knox Catholic Higher than just based on points allowed. Those guys have played in one of the tougher districts in the state with Maryville, Farragut, Bearden, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see Coach Meadows in a deep playoff run. :shock:

Of those points scored by Seymour's opponents, I believe some were scored off turnovers and safeties. I believe Seymour Defense gave up 136 points in 11 games. Daniel Boone's and TN High Defense is very tough. I will have to go backover our stats. Those that are listed are pretty impressive!

Total points is not a good indicator... This leaves out special teams, defensive scores, field position, overtime, second team playing, etc. The comparison from people that have not seen the teams and base on final scores is simply inaccurate.

To get this accurate you have to look at the above, as well as opponents, etc. Not just the record of opponents, but how good the offense is, ie, points scored against other opponents, total yards, etc.

Too hard to say, but I think the key is who bows up when the game is on the line.