Franklin going for 2 pts to win in OT agree or disagree

sarahpalin

First I want to say great game by both teams, and BHS stay strong and show the state that WILCO football is the best...

DO YOU GO FOR THE PAT TO SEND IT TO THE 3RD OT OR GO FOR THE 2 PTS AND THE WIN ??????

OKAY - for those whom dont know the story BHS beats Franklin and wins 21-20 in the 2nd OT......... In the 2nd O.T. BHS scores first and FHS responds with a score but instead of kicking the PAT and sending the game to the 3rd O.T. FHS decides to go for the 2 pt. conversion and the win the game -

DO YOU AGREE or DISAGREE

What would you have done ?

*** for me, the coach knows his team the best so it is hard to argue or 2nd guess his call and I respect his gutsy call

from the tennessean Clayton said the followingRD OT OR GO FOR THE " Our defensive coordinator (Donnie Webb) had said we couldn't stop them, that it was a matter of time before we didn't, and if we got the chance we needed to go for two."

*** However if it was me, I would have gone for the PAT and not put the pressure on the o- Line and Ford to win the game. Yes the Bruin defense make a heck of a play to snuff it out, but I am going for the PAT... Clayton said his defensive cord told him they couldnt stop them, but i will reply and say Brentwood COULDNT STOP you either.... With Ford and Lee i am taking my chances in the 3rd OT and hoping my d can step up and make a stop or at least hold them to 3pts.....

anyways what do ya think?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You go with the decision the coach's choose. These guys are at ground level with their teams everyday, every game. They have a finger on the pulse of what is happening at the moment, how their teams are reacting during the game, what they know and what they see their opponents doing. Only they know how much gas is left in the tank.

Coach Webb and Coach Crawford know each other very well. Webb knows what his defense is doing at this point, and wouldn't suggest to Clayton anything but what he feels will be needed to win the game.

Webb and Clayton apparently felt that Brentwood (Crawford) would only get stronger than Franklin's offense if it went further. So, in their minds, if they didn't win it THEN, they surely would lose it very soon. At THAT point in time, they have a chance. They felt they wouldn't have further chances in the future. Essentially by making the stop, they proved Coach Webb correct.

Hats off to the Bruins for making the play. Pary like it's 2002 and good luck in the semi's.

I would have kicked it and played another overtime. Those boys played so hard out there. Why did Webb say they couldn't stop them? They had held them to 7 points for four quarters and then he is just going to not give them a chance to stop them in another overtime? Great game boys. I hate that it came down to one call :thumb:

"You play to win the game." Herm Edwards

It was the right call. Coach Webb was right. The Franklin defense was not going to stop Brentwood from scoring from the 10 in four plays. Everyone in the stadium knew what play Brentwood was going to run in OT and so did Coach Webb and our boys couldn't stop it.

The double tight double wing set was power football which is perfect for the OT format, Franklin doesn't have a set they can just stay in and the defense knows its coming and still be successful. Franklin scored off two playaction passes in the OT. Clayton calls those because Brentwood was sitting on the run. It was pretty apparent to those at the game Brentwood was not going to be stopped on offense.

Of course someone like sarahpalin would question the call and his prestigous ND education would tell him to kick the PAT. How about you go to the game and watch what was unfolding on the field. Yes, Franklin held Brentwood in check, but I don't think Brentwood had a 3 and out all game. Franklin's D would bend but not break. Coming up with timely turnovers to stop Bruin drives. It is easy to say you would have done the opposite after it has happened. No one respects you on these boards, your like the crazy old man people let hang around cause they feel sorry for you.

This was a great high school game, I wish my Rebels would have won. I think they outplayed Brentwood last night, but they perservered through some injuries and came out on top. That is what high school is about. Congrats to the Franklin seniors on a fine year, they are all great men off the field, and that is what matters most. Good luck Brentwood, bring home the gold ball.

One question: Where did we get the clock operator last night? The SEC. He was terrible for both sides. 45 seconds of the game was lost at the end of each half because of his inability to stop the clock.

"You play to win the game." Herm Edwards

It was the right call. Coach Webb was right. The Franklin defense was not going to stop Brentwood from scoring from the 10 in four plays. Everyone in the stadium knew what play Brentwood was going to run in OT and so did Coach Webb and our boys couldn't stop it.

The double tight double wing set was power football which is perfect for the OT format, Franklin doesn't have a set they can just stay in and the defense knows its coming and still be successful. Franklin scored off two playaction passes in the OT. Clayton calls those because Brentwood was sitting on the run. It was pretty apparent to those at the game Brentwood was not going to be stopped on offense.

Of course someone like sarahpalin would question the call and his prestigous ND education would tell him to kick the PAT. How about you go to the game and watch what was unfolding on the field. Yes, Franklin held Brentwood in check, but I don't think Brentwood had a 3 and out all game. Franklin's D would bend but not break. Coming up with timely turnovers to stop Bruin drives. It is easy to say you would have done the opposite after it has happened. No one respects you on these boards, your like the crazy old man people let hang around cause they feel sorry for you.

This was a great high school game, I wish my Rebels would have won. I think they outplayed Brentwood last night, but they perservered through some injuries and came out on top. That is what high school is about. Congrats to the Franklin seniors on a fine year, they are all great men off the field, and that is what matters most. Good luck Brentwood, bring home the gold ball.

One question: Where did we get the clock operator last night? The SEC. He was terrible for both sides. 45 seconds of the game was lost at the end of each half because of his inability to stop the clock.

I totally disagree..Brentwood had only scored one TD in Regulation on the their Second Play from scrimmage..so for 95% of the game, the Rebels put the "D" on the Bruins. Then in Overtime the Bruins scored on 3rd down in the first overtime and 4th down in the second overtime ...while the Rebels scored on First down in both overtimes and then go for two? Looks like the Rebels offense was dominating the Bruins..not the Bruins dominating the Rebels. Kick it and play another overtime..your scoring easily and they are scoring on 3rd and 4th down..you might get a turnover.

I would have gone for it. but in both of the touchdowns before that franklin threw passes and brentwood wasn even close to bein in position to defend them. all game franklin had been gettin bout a yard or two on runs with a few big breaks. i would have thrown it again for the extra point not tried to run it. and if i didn feel comfortable throwin it for the extra i woulda kicked it and see what happened next time

Fairy bertier or Gary, why don't you look what I first stated on my post. That Clayton knows his team the best a and I respected his choice to go for 2 and the win..... I then went on to say that if I was the coach I would have went for the PAT (and at this point on this topic it appears most agree with me, that you play it safe)

Were you at the game....

Old , nope not at all - keep being jealous and wanna meet for coffee