ALCOA VS. MILAN, Let's get this started!!

MilanDog9

I haven't had a chance to get on here since this game. This game went as I expected. I heard that this was the first time that Milan has been shut out since 1996 when Melrose shut them out. That's pretty impressive on Milan's part.

Alcoa, awesome job to you guys!!! After watching you guys beat Maryville in person earlier this year, I came back and told the Milan folks that Alcoa was the absolute truth and that no one would beat them this year. I just might have to come back next year and get me a "got 6" shirt, lol. Congratulations to Alcoa! Great team, great coaching, great fans!

Thanks GC; we are really proud of those kids. Come on back to Alcoa next season and I will get you your shirt!

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start out on congratulating the Milan team and fans for a great season. They played hard and have nothing to be ashamed of. Great effort just not the perfect game that you had to have.

As for the game, Alcoa's offensive and defensive lines were the difference. I have stated earlier that this would be the difference in the game. Also the Robinson twins tonight played awfully well as did Dee Herbert. The only thing I would complain about was Alcoa was too conservative. I believe Rankin thought the only way he might lose would be turnovers. Also the first two play calls on offensive for Alcoa was terrible. I guess you can always find something to complain about. :thumb: The run that Alcoa has going is unbelievable. I don't know what the record is for most state championships (nationally) but Alcoa must be close. You could see another three more (state championships) with the core players back next year and a very good sophomore and freshman class. :thumb:

I think one of the reasons GR is such a good coach is because his coaching style is dictated by the type of team he has. With the talent that Alcoa has, and has had, since GR arrived, it would have been tempting to razzle dazzle people with options & reverses & trick plays. But razzle dazzle usually comes at the expense of a higher probability of mistakes & turnovers. Mistakes & turnovers normally lead to defeat. GR's approach, and rightly so IMHO, is to play it close to the vest. It appears that he is saying "My players, team, & coaches are better than yours. So, we are not going to beat ourselves, we are going to make YOU beat us. We are disciplined, strong & fast and we play fundamentally sound and tough defense." Now that approach isn't too "sexy" for some observers who want not only to win, but win with style points. But, once again IMHO, this approach is a proven winner when you've got the players to execute that game plan, and obviously Alcoa does. I applaud GR for being patient with his team and resolute in his game plan. Being considered a Conservative is not bad, especially when you are a Conservative Champion. :thumb:

I think one of the reasons GR is such a good coach is because his coaching style is dictated by the type of team he has. With the talent that Alcoa has, and has had, since GR arrived, it would have been tempting to razzle dazzle people with options & reverses & trick plays. But razzle dazzle usually comes at the expense of a higher probability of mistakes & turnovers. Mistakes & turnovers normally lead to defeat. GR's approach, and rightly so IMHO, is to play it close to the vest. It appears that he is saying "My players, team, & coaches are better than yours. So, we are not going to beat ourselves, we are going to make YOU beat us. We are disciplined, strong & fast and we play fundamentally sound and tough defense." Now that approach isn't too "sexy" for some observers who want not only to win, but win with style points. But, once again IMHO, this approach is a proven winner when you've got the players to execute that game plan, and obviously Alcoa does. I applaud GR for being patient with his team and resolute in his game plan. Being considered a Conservative is not bad, especially when you are a Conservative Champion. :D

I can't disagree with any thing that you said Footballdad. It just the only pass we had all night Robinson was wide open 20 yards down the field and he just couldn't haul it in. Why not try to go back to that??? They didn't have anyone to match up with him. I would have tried to take advantage of that and that would have loosened up there defense. Which in turn would have made it easier to run.

Congrats to Alcoa for a dominant win. Very good line play won this game. They knew what Alcoa was gonna do, stacked the box and still pounded the rock.

Milan...congrats on the silver. good team.

Now please stop with the turnover business...That didnt fly with last week vs. York. yall kept saying "we adjusted and please give our defense its props." Well just give Alcoa their props. One long pass play in the first quarter and the drive to begin the 2nd half was all Milan could muster.

Congrats to Alcoa. 6 in a row is amazing. You guys just know how to win. The only thing I have to say that might sound negative to the Alcoa fan is please don't say you dominated. You won. You showed that you are the champs, but not dominated. It was turnovers that cost Milan any chance of winning. I am not saying that Alcoa did not have something to do with those turnovers because they did. However, the stats show a pretty evenly played game. We even outgained you guys in total yards and 1st downs. So, great win, but please quit disrespecting a great Milan team. I don't think any team held you to that few a yards. Not even the "great" Loudon that some people are talking about.

Congrats to Alcoa. 6 in a row is amazing. You guys just know how to win. The only thing I have to say that might sound negative to the Alcoa fan is please don't say you dominated. You won. You showed that you are the champs, but not dominated. It was turnovers that cost Milan any chance of winning. I am not saying that Alcoa did not have something to do with those turnovers because they did. However, the stats show a pretty evenly played game. We even outgained you guys in total yards and 1st downo, great win, but please quit disrespecting a great Milan team. I don't think any team held you to that few a yards. Not even the "great" Loudon that some people are talking about.

We did what we came to...make history :D

Where did all the Milan fans go??? :D

By the time you stop and eat, it is a 5 hour drive to the house for us. We are not afraid to eat our crow. One more observation. Everyone is giving kudos to the Alcoa offensive line, but I was not impressed one bit with them. This Oline that I heard so much about and you amassed 168 yards. Not too impressed. Now the D line was another story. They were very good.

So now we're disrespecting Milan because someone said alcoa dominated (I mean it was a 21-0 skunk anyway you look at it cause that is the only stat that matters) If it was a video game you hit the reset button. Its just silly that Alcoa had won 5 straight state titles and gets disrespected by being called cheaters, cocky, arrogant and yet when we win by 3 touchdowns....3 ....We're disrespecting the other team.... Stay classy Tennessee, Ill be back next year when whoever we play whines about Alcoa.

And that O line amassed 168 ON THE GROUND ALONE. Again, stats dont matter...Scoreboards do.

I think one of the reasons GR is such a good coach is because his coaching style is dictated by the type of team he has. With the talent that Alcoa has, and has had, since GR arrived, it would have been tempting to razzle dazzle people with options & reverses & trick plays. But razzle dazzle usually comes at the expense of a higher probability of mistakes & turnovers. Mistakes & turnovers normally lead to defeat. GR's approach, and rightly so IMHO, is to play it close to the vest. It appears that he is saying "My players, team, & coaches are better than yours. So, we are not going to beat ourselves, we are going to make YOU beat us. We are disciplined, strong & fast and we play fundamentally sound and tough defense." Now that approach isn't too "sexy" for some observers who want not only to win, but win with style points. But, once again IMHO, this approach is a proven winner when you've got the players to execute that game plan, and obviously Alcoa does. I applaud GR for being patient with his team and resolute in his game plan. Being considered a Conservative is not bad, especially when you are a Conservative Champion. :D

I can't disagree with any thing that you said Footballdad. It just the only pass we had all night Robinson was wide open 20 yards down the field and he just couldn't haul it in. Why not try to go back to that??? They didn't have anyone to match up with him. I would have tried to take advantage of that and that would have loosened up there defense. Which in turn would have made it easier to run.

I

So now we're disrespecting Milan because someone said alcoa dominated (I mean it was a 21-0 skunk anyway you look at it cause that is the only stat that matters) If it was a video game you hit the reset button. Its just silly that Alcoa had won 5 straight state titles and gets disrespected by being called cheaters, cocky, arrogant and yet when we win by 3 touchdowns....3 ....We're disrespecting the other team.... Stay classy Tennessee, Ill be back next year when whoever we play whines about Alcoa.

It is because of fans like you that most people don't like you guys. Look at the stats. It was a good game. Yes we got beat by 3 touchdowns, but anyone that knows football knows that the score is not always indicative of the type of game it was. You guys proved to be the better team. You caused a couple of those turnovers outright. Very good team and obviously the best in the state, but to say you dominated is just plain crazy.

Where did all the Milan fans go??? :D

By the time you stop and eat, it is a 5 hour drive to the house for us. We are not afraid to eat our crow. One more observation. Everyone is giving kudos to the Alcoa offensive line, but I was not impressed one bit with them. This Oline that I heard so much about and you amassed 168 yards. Not too impressed. Now the D line was another story. They were very good.

I'm impressed that you are still up talking smack

Congrats to Alcoa for a dominant win. Very good line play won this game. They knew what Alcoa was gonna do, stacked the box and still pounded the rock.

Milan...congrats on the silver. good team.

Now please stop with the turnover business...That didnt fly with last week vs. York. yall kept saying "we adjusted and please give our defense its props." Well just give Alcoa their props. One long pass play in the first quarter and the drive to begin the 2nd half was all Milan could muster.

Congrats to Alcoa. 6 in a row is amazing. You guys just know how to win. The only thing I have to say that might sound negative to the Alcoa fan is please don't say you dominated. You won. You showed that you are the champs, but not dominated. It was turnovers that cost Milan any chance of winning. I am not saying that Alcoa did not have something to do with those turnovers because they did. However, the stats show a pretty evenly played game. We even outgained you guys in total yards and 1st downs. So, great win, but please quit disrespecting a great Milan team. I don't think any team held you to that few a yards. Not even the "great" Loudon that some people are talking about.

I will say it was dominating. 21-0....you kidding me. Alcoa had control from the coin toss. Ah it was those "pesky turnovers". Stats mean little right? or that was the attitude last week about another game. Either way Milan lost. Say what you will to tickle your ears, but This game never had the feeling of getting close on the scoreboard....And that is what is remembered.

It is because of fans like you that most people don't like you guys. Look at the stats. It was a good game. Yes we got beat by 3 touchdowns, but anyone that knows football knows that the score is not always indicative of the type of game it was. You guys proved to be the better team. You caused a couple of those turnovers outright. Very good team and obviously the best in the state, but to say you dominated is just plain crazy.

Fans like me?? Please go back through all of my 200+ posts on this site and show me where Ive disrespected 1 team. Stats are close....Ok what does that mean? Nothing! To quote Herm Edwards, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!! and scoreboard says 21-0