1A State Championship: South Pittsburg vs. Union City

powerp

I told a SP poster back on the UC/WC thread that it would not be a Grace team coming to Cookeville. All I read on this thread was posts about 50-0 SP, running clocks, speed kills, and UC was a basketball school. There were two good teams on that field today and the best team won regardless of what powerp and others may say. I coached for 21 years and I know that the best athletes do not always make the best TEAM. By the way, if those two teams could play 4 more times, UC would win some of those. I saw several SP players have to leave the field in the second half. For those that don't know or have never played a physically superior team, that usually comes from being tired and frustrated. Congratulations to UC and hold your heads up SP, at least the superior TEAM today won.

Old Pirate, you and a handful of other posters from SP were classy this week and gracious in defeat. I look forward to reading your thoughts next year. UC, you guys were not your usual boastful selves this week. Congtats again.

I was going to post the same thing about the players going off the field but some might deem that classless.....That's what happens though...Spot on with that comment...

I had/have alot of respect for the South Pittsburg program...They got it going on over there...I have been on these boards since 2003 and had never seen such a lack of respect from a fanbase in this type of game as some SPitt people had for Union City...Most got into the habit of calling Union City "Union"..Wouldn't even say the right name...That's a TOTAL lack of respect for an opponent...I'm sure that to some extent the coaching staff and players from SPitt had some of the same feelings about Union City this week..I doubt they do now...

How would you feel if you were SP and just lost the state title to a "Basketball School"?

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to see the second half on TV..the big back was an absolute beast. Nobody should forget how much the quarterback and the back who scored around the end twice did either, though. That took enough pressure off the dive to help make it so successful.

I wasn't watching closely at the time, was the South Pittsburg receiver's knee down on one of their long gains. As for the penalty on the last drive, from the replay I thought the quarterback was getting roughed up enough to call it.

I got to see the second half on TV..the big back was an absolute beast. Nobody should forget how much the quarterback and the back who scored around the end twice did either, though. That took enough pressure off the dive to help make it so successful.

I wasn't watching closely at the time, was the South Pittsburg receiver's knee down on one of their long gains. As for the penalty on the last drive, from the replay I thought the quarterback was getting roughed up enough to call it.

I thought the knee being down was one you would have to watch in slow motion, hard to tell, the personal foul was a good call and could have very well been the difference in the ballgame. Another thing was # 11 was tackled on the 2 point conversion. The refs pretty much let um play , I'm sure they missed several calls. Isaw a few more.

You are spot on about Chase (QB) and Price #28 and Worley #11....They made that adjustment at half...Worley scored on a speed play in the first half but Chase didn't run but once or maybe twice the first half...When they ran the speed play to Price he was just all alone...They were still trying to tackle Nicks at the line...

Looked to me the knee was down....I think maybe the SP player said something that the ref heard or maybe Chase just sold it to the ref....I also think SP got away with a blatant hold on that 2 point conversion run...They had a player wrap #11 up and take him to the ground...It was as blatant as the hold on Caveness #20 for UC on the KO return after the Pirates had taken the lead at the end...

I'mm Baaccckkkk.......WOW...Lots of postin' to do before bed. Long....GREAT Day....How about them "Pirates"......Oh,,,Union City Tornadoes.....I forgot, we should not have even shown up.

I was at the game...can tell you all kids of things.....and will.

HOW ABOUT THEM UNION "UNION" CITY GOLDEN TORNADOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can You Say GOLD!!!!!!!

I still have a grin on my face that won't stop!!

Hey...South Pitts Fans.....remember that big full back I told you about ( #27 Josh Nicks ) that would run RIGHT DOWN YOUR THROAT....WELL you KNOW HIM NOW............Don't you!!

He set a State Record on YOUR TEAM....GRIN!!

He carried the ball 47 times on YOU TEAM!!!!!!!!!

My hand might get tired tonight so bare with me.

I'mm Baaccckkkk.......WOW...Lots of postin' to do before bed. Long....GREAT Day....How about them "Pirates"......Oh,,,Union City Tornadoes.....I forgot, we should not have even shown up.

Can You Say GOLD!!!!!!!

I'm gonna let you have it brother....Give em heck !!

Ain't it GREAT to be a Union City Golden Tornado ?!?!?!?!....

Go back a few pages and check out my post from right after the game.... :thumb:

Can You Say GOLD!!!!!!!

I'm gonna let you have it brother....Give em heck !!

Ain't it GREAT to be a Union City Golden Tornado ?!?!?!?!....

Go back a few pages and check out my post from right after the game.... :thumb:

Consider it done my friend Purple & Gold Standard...

were you at the game?

I will have to tell you what the fans were telling me before the game and what I told them.....It came true for us!! Lets just say #23

So come 12 noon Friday.....oh....listen, ...shhhhhhhh......my weather radio just went off......

The National Weather Service in Nashiville has just issued a "Tornado Warning" for the Cookeville Tennessee area aimed at the South Pittsburg Team. Repeat, a 'Tornado Warning" has been issued for Cookeville Tennessee area around Tennessee Tech headed straight towards the South Pittsburg Team.

Union City will have a great fan base at this game, even local football teams that we have played are loading on buses Friday morning at 5:30 to support UNion City and see them come up and make believers out of not only you, but the media and all of eastern Tennessee.

Our team does believe, we are on a MISSION and South Pitt is the moon and we are NASA.

Union City will play you as tough as anyone you have played all season and will be well coached. Just ask everyone we have played.

Good Luck Union City, your season ends on Friday and WILL end on a high note!

The only tornado warning for Cookeville is Alcoa. The whole Tornado warning thing has worn itself out so give it a rest. I know you think it sounds cool and all but then you would..... :thumb:

Have you sent out for the Red Croos yet in South Pittsburg......sorry..hope our Tornado didn't do to much damage on your team.......GRIN~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey...South Pitts Fans.....remember that big full back I told you about ( #27 Josh Nicks ) that would run RIGHT DOWN YOUR THROAT....WELL you KNOW HIM NOW............Don't you!!

He set a State Record on YOUR TEAM....GRIN!!

He carried the ball 47 times on YOU TEAM!!!!!!!!!

My hand might get tired tonight so bare with me.

and he had over 200 yards rushing!! :thumb: