1A State Championship: South Pittsburg vs. Union City

powerp

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps UC could tell Coach Grider where to sign up for the All-State Field Goal Kicker international exchange student program.

Edit: The only call I question Grider on was going for a field goal on 4th & Goal from the 3. Fail to get it and it goes over on downs there rather than touch back. That and the Hale fumble are the biggest things that hurt the Pirates. It was no secrete that it was going to be a repeat of the Polk County game and it was.

Congratulations to the Union City Golden Tornadoes. A well coached game and an even better execution by your players. #27 is a load and we could not stop him all day. It was a fantastic game from start to finish. Wish we could have had more opportunities on offense, but the game plan by UC was run to a T. They kept the ball out of our hands and utilized clock management very well. Enjoy the moment, your team, fans, and coaches deserve it.

To my Pirates, you guys played your hearts out. Left it all on the field and have nothing to be ashamed about. It hurts now but you will get over it. Just happen to run into a team on a mission. By far, the two best teams in the state in 1A were playing today. For the Seniors, thanks for all your hard work and get ready for the next chapter in your life. For the younger kids, you no what it takes to win a championship. Hit the weights hard in the offseason...you have enough talent to make another run next year so keep your heads up and get prepared.

Until next year, Piratetom signing off!!

We disagree...there are teams from West Tenn that could beat you.

Yep. I bought into the hype myself,but after watching the game today,I'm convinced we have at least 2-3 teams from the West that could play with them.

I garuntee you those boys from Union lifted weights this week. Our season is over and we dont have a championship. You think Im joking cause Im not. I got to talk to my buddy Murphy for a minute today before the game. I asked him if I could borrow that cowboy hat. I am going to have to get one of them. I also asked him when the new book would be out. He told me that I would be the very first person to get one. Those boys from Union knocked some big holes in our line for their runners to run through. Let me ask you a question. Does anyone know what Murphy asked Grider at halftime? I saw him questioning him on the field before he went into the locker room? Did Grider do something wrong. I will have to ask Murphy what was going on. Well I will make a few more posts and then Roy Dilliard will be signing off until summer when I get my new edition of my Murphy Fair. I was really wanting to stay and watch that other game, but Grider's grayhound was leaving. I wanted to get my moneys worth for my ticket.

He asked Grider how he felt..Grider said he felt good about that late score before half...Said he would have to figure out a way to stop Union City's run game....Thing he didn't know was he already had it stopped...Whatever he did half didn't work too well....You think I'm joking cause I'm not... :D

Nicks played a great game and put the game on his back. UC got all their yards on the ground. The team that the trash talking fans thought was so good could not stop UC. You think I 'm joking cause I am not.

Congratulations to the Union City Golden Tornadoes. A well coached game and an even better execution by your players. #27 is a load and we could not stop him all day. It was a fantastic game from start to finish. Wish we could have had more opportunities on offense, but the game plan by UC was run to a T. They kept the ball out of our hands and utilized clock management very well. Enjoy the moment, your team, fans, and coaches deserve it.

To my Pirates, you guys played your hearts out. Left it all on the field and have nothing to be ashamed about. It hurts now but you will get over it. Just happen to run into a team on a mission. By far, the two best teams in the state in 1A were playing today. For the Seniors, thanks for all your hard work and get ready for the next chapter in your life. For the younger kids, you no what it takes to win a championship. Hit the weights hard in the offseason...you have enough talent to make another run next year so keep your heads up and get prepared.

Until next year, Piratetom signing off!!

We disagree...there are teams from West Tenn that could beat you.

Yep. I bought into the hype myself,but after watching the game today,I'm convinced we have at least 2-3 teams from the West that could play with them.

Yes sir...any team can can play a physical game and run the ball can beat SP. They got outhit today. You think I'm joking cause I'm not.

Nicks played a great game and put the game on his back. UC got all their yards on the ground. The team that the trash talking fans thought was so good could not stop UC. You think I 'm joking cause I am not.

And after all of that, it came down to a Spanish exchange student soccer player to kick a FG with 6 seconds on the clock. UC played a great game and won it. However, a 2 pt game at the buzzer isn't exactly and azz-kicking.

Perhaps UC could tell Coach Grider where to sign up for the All-State Field Goal Kicker international exchange student program.

Edit: The only call I question Grider on was going for a field goal on 4th & Goal from the 3. Fail to get it and it goes over on downs there rather than touch back. That and the Hale fumble are the biggest things that hurt the Pirates. It was no secrete that it was going to be a repeat of the Polk County game and it was.

In hindsight I'd say maybe...Grider, I'm sure, had 100% confidence in his defense...He treated that situation like a college or pro coach would do...It was basically a PAT attempt...Had he hit that FG, UC would have had to score a TD at the end....Not a bad coaching move....

As far as Guerri goes, he wouldn't have even played had he not seen the team practicing one afternoon and asked to try and kick the football...If UC had a soccer program he wouldn't have played football either...For us, it was just a lucky thing that happened...

**Of course had he hit the FG he wouldn't have felt like he had to go for 2 and it would have been 31-28 instead of 29-28**

And after all of that, it came down to a Spanish exchange student soccer player to kick a FG with 6 seconds on the clock. UC played a great game and won it. However, a 2 pt game at the buzzer isn't exactly and azz-kicking.

I did not say it was an azz kicking. SP did not win and they could not stop the run. It doesn't matter how UC won, the bottom line is that they are state champs...not SP.

In hindsight I'd say maybe...Grider, I'm sure, had 100% confidence in his defense...He treated that situation like a college or pro coach would do...It was basically a PAT attempt...Had he hit that FG, UC would have had to score a TD at the end....Not a bad coaching move....

As far as Guerri goes, he wouldn't have even played had he not seen the team practicing one afternoon and asked to try and kick the football...If UC had a soccer program he wouldn't have played football either...For us, it was just a lucky thing that happened...

**Of course had he hit the FG he wouldn't have felt like he had to go for 2 and it would have been 31-28 instead of 29-28**

What you don't realize is today is the 1st time in several years that the Pirates made all of their PAT attempts in a game. Furthermore, we kicked 1 field goal in the regular season which was the 1st attempt in 10 years. I wish we would have an all-state field go kicker walk by and ask about it. :D

Yeah really it was for the SP defense....When you hold on to the ball for 32 plus mins and run 70 plays in a high school game with absolutely zero passing game..It IS a butt whipping....69 rush plays and UC lost 5 yards...Nicks ran 47 times and lost one yard...Call it what you want, spin it any way you want...Union City gave SP a beating along the trenches....

Wow Congrats to UC!!!!! way to represent the West and bring back the Gold!!! especially proud of #27...my son is also #27 but for Mckenzie so a little bond there...only wish we had the chance to play tomorrow but hope TC does it to Boyd and gets the Gold...again Congrats UC what a fun game to watch!

Your #27 is a heck of a player as well.