Can the Wing T win a title

diggerdog

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great coach once said:

"It ain't the X's and the O's, its the Jims and the Joes...."

While I agree with that principle in general, I think it would be fair to assume that even the person who said that didn't let players "draw up plays in the dirt", so to speak.

No, the person who said that won MNC's throwing the ball and later won MNC's running the ball. :twisted:

It can as long as it is versatile, and I agree you must mix in some variants. Look at Georgia Tech they run it, just alot added.

Defense is critical.

I agree that a versatile Wing-T can win a Title.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not 100% certain, but doesn't Georgia Tech run a much more versatile and potent "Spread Option," not the Wing-T?

These two offenses have similar-looking formations but are executed entirely differently.

I'm certainly no expert, and this may be a crude oversimplification..... to me, the WingT is really all about "smoke and mirrors" (deception, misdirection, "slight of hand," houdini-type stuff with the football). The ballcarrier is pre-determined. The QB turns mostly turns his back to the defense, hiding the ball and initiating the "deception."

The Sread Option is strictly about the QB reading the defense's reaction, upon the snap, to then determine which of the 3 runners (or himself) he might give the ball to --dive, keep, pitch now/ pitch later-- downfield to "trailer..."

Yes it can and yes it has. Seems Mt. Juliet ran the wing the last title they won however as was witnessed Friday with the wing-t turn overs will get just about any style offense beat in a semi game. It is what I call play off suicide. You have to control the ball and then the clock. To me it is the exact opposite of the spread and if worked to profection should be productive. The question I have about this "simple" wing-t style offense is why the teams that run it have such a difficult time with the execution. You see fumbles and droped pass plays that allow the "pro-set spread w/ 4-5 rec." back on the feild and if the defense is not prepared or as good as the 85' Bears then the wing-t is a joke. Trust me I witnessed it lived out. Its hard to go to plan B when fundamentals fail in this offense. There again give credit to the opposition. Q. If GQ left after this season and the new staff ran a wing-t would the rest of the state lick it's chop's or still have the same level of respect (or concern) when preparing for the Rebels? :twisted:

A great coach once said:

"It ain't the X's and the O's, its the Jims and the Joes...."

While I agree with that principle in general, I think it would be fair to assume that even the person who said that didn't let players "draw up plays in the dirt", so to speak.

No, the person who said that won MNC's throwing the ball and later won MNC's running the ball. :twisted:

Right, I think were saying the same thing then essentially with different words.

Germantown won the 2003 5A championship running the wishbone.

Yes they did running behind an O-line that was HUGE! Them boys looked like they should have been at Oklahoma running it. Young men also had beards that were better than mine at the time! :twisted:

Man for man that was the largest O-line I have ever seen outside of Texas in high school.

I agree Trader B. We played Millington last game of the year and they ran the double wing and got a full dose of belly, buck sweep, wing back trap and waggle pass. First game of the playoffs we play Independence. Same formations except more midline, veer type plays like Georgia Tech does. That is correct that if your players are better than theirs then it does not matter what you run. That Hillsboro team had some athletes.

Did Mt. Juliet run the wing when they won state last? Don't remember the year but it was in the 90's at Vanderbilt (Clinic Bowl). They Played in the highest class at that time in 3A. Not a Golden Bear but seems this was a wing-t offense.
Mt Juliet has never won or played for the state title. I think you are confused.