Bands playing during game action...

EarlVolFan

My God What Is Next? People Complain About Their Players Being Heckled, Bands Playing, Horns Blowing, Where Is It Gonna Stop? But Does Anybody But Me Realize It's The People Who Lost That Are Complaining? :roflol:

Great post Butchie. Good luck on your hunting trip this weekend. I was looking forward to seeing you Saturday, but it's getting to late in the year to have an emply freezer. :roflol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard a football coach or player complain about a win or a loss involving the band(except maybe Cal whose band was on the field).Doesn't most teams have a band I know some smaller schools don,t if so seems to me when 2 bands are at a game there is battles between them also, that just plain ole football atmosphere,myself if I think it's too loud I try not to sit too close by.As for TSSAA the less of them the better JMO.

Agreed.I think it's what makes HS football have such a great atmosphere.

The Cascade game mentioned earlier: EVERY time Boyd got in the red zone Cascades' band would start the "train" cadence very loudly during the QB's snap count. Boyd's coach went postal and screamed at the refs "they can't do that during the snap count" (It cost Boyd a false start the first time then the o line adjusted from there on out.) The ref shook his head "no" and acted like all was normal.

The way I was raised that is dirty pool and poor sportsmanship. Have things changed since those days?

You had more than 1 false start that wasn't called. One critical one happened on 4th and 1 inside our 10 yard line and wasn't called. I was in your bleachers doing the play-by-play for a TV channel and even YOUR fans were shocked it wasn't called. Maybe the Coaches whining worked and you just didn't know it. :bored:

Regardless of where you are, who you are, any band playing while another team has the ball is just poor sportsmanship!! Some coaches may like the added distraction but I bet if the tables are turned they don't like it none too well .. I don't care for airhorns or the dreaded trainwhistle etc .. I'm hoping the whistle at Gordonsville's game goes away. Bands playing and cheerleaders cheering, the roar of the crowd in general .. thats FOOTBALL, I'm a FAN, I love the fun atmosphere at games, not the blaring rude, invasive blasting .. I keep telling myself .. spring is coming .. spring is coming .. a nice calm game .. BASEBALL!!

Good seeing you aorund Termie .. thought you might have fallen asleep, I hear you snore!!! lol

I am in agreeemnt with Butchie. My gosh come on people. Are you saying that the opposing team's band beat you? That's what it sounds like . My goodness if It got so bad That I had to blame the band I would quit going to The games. ive got one boy who plays Football and one in the band too. I like em both.the air horns the crowd The noise makers the cheerleaders and most definitley the band are what makes the atmosphere of highschool Football exciting. If you dont like noise oyu should stay home and listen on the radio.

My God What Is Next? People Complain About Their Players Being Heckled, Bands Playing, Horns Blowing, Where Is It Gonna Stop? But Does Anybody But Me Realize It's The People Who Lost That Are Complaining? :D

Its getting out of hand Butchie. Just last week a team was trying to tackle our running back! Those turkeys chased him for over 95 yards.

I know of one school in West Tennessee that sets off fireworks after every home touchdown.

They are one of the big time programs in West Tennessee.

Sure wish they would act like a big time program and leave the fireworks for July 4.

Besides, the fireworks are supposed to be illegal in this particular town during the football season.

Well, I got to experience what we've been talking about here at the Maryville - White Station state championship game last night in Cookeville and it was very enlightening.

First of all, let me say that White Station had the superior team with two superb athletes that the Rebels had no answer for and deserved the win last night. However, their band had far more participants than their football team (and maybe larger than the group of fans they brought). They had more bass drums and tubas than any band, including UT's, than I have ever seen.

They played pretty much the entire game, especially loudly when Maryville had the ball, and I believe, responsible for a couple of false start penalties when Maryville was lined up in front of them. For the first time I've ever noticed, Maryville's band played during game action, but wasn't able to get much volume in the large Tennessee Tech stadium. I guess they finally decided that if they couldn't beat them, they would join them.

What was the net effect? The fans were taken out of the game. Maryville's fans outnumbered White Station's 10-1, but there is no need to yell and make noise when no one can hear you due to the 300+ piece band playing across the stadium from you at full volume.

So what's the solution? Should Maryville and other schools like it ramp up their bands to play thundering tunes during game action by the other team to remain competitive with the metro schools?

I hope not. I think if this continues, many fans will choose to stay home, since there is no purpose to their presence, other than to watch a game with a loud dance track. This will hurt the schools and the TSSAA where it hurts - the pocketbook.

That's why it's time for the TSSAA to take action and match the NCAA and NFL (and Georgia High School) regulations before football games are about the bands and not the teams and the fans.

Somebody need to get this ball rolling.....