The 3 Point Line-Love It or Hate It?

WoodenFan

The three point line is great for high school basketball, and certainly adds an entirely different dimension to the strategy of the game. I would not be entirely opposed to extending the line, similar to college's.

I do not think there should be a three point line in youth basketball, though. Especially for kids under 7th or 8th grade. Too many kids become enamored with the line and don't learn the fundamentals of shooting which leads to terrible habits.

The three point line is great for high school basketball, and certainly adds an entirely different dimension to the strategy of the game. I would not be entirely opposed to extending the line, similar to college's.

I do not think there should be a three point line in youth basketball, though. Especially for kids under 7th or 8th grade. Too many kids become enamored with the line and don't learn the fundamentals of shooting which leads to terrible habits.

Good post. Take it out below middle school and teach shooting fundamentals. Extend it in high school and bring back post play. I'd extend it some more in college too. There's a place in the game for a kid that can drain it from long distance and it should be rewarded. Adds some strategy to the game and makes a big team have to guard the perimeter.

If we're talking about game altering rules, I'd use the international paint down low.

I dont think the 3 point line alone is the problem, the 3 point line combined with bad coaches is the problem. I dont think a lot of coaches know how to use the three point line. A lot of coaches let their rely on the three point line too much and they dont know how to make free throws or 15 foot jumpshots

I dont think the 3 point line alone is the problem, the 3 point line combined with bad coaches is the problem. I dont think a lot of coaches know how to use the three point line. A lot of coaches let their rely on the three point line too much and they dont know how to make free throws or 15 foot jumpshots

Agreed. Coaching of youth athletics is mostly to blame with the poor fundamentals. Too many upward programs and not enough good competitive rec leagues around anymore.

3 point line has been around, and it doesn't effect habits if they are not proper mechanics. Kids need to learn to shoot with their legs. That is one of the biggest problems now a days. Every kid wants to sling it up there without a clue that their distance comes from their legs.

I like it if you have a team that can shoot it and go after their shots when they miss...I don't like it when you have a bunch of kids that can't shoot it then make it worse by not following their shots...

I'd like to see somebody actually hit a mid-range jumper and even use the glass every now and then...

All we have now is a bunch of kids that want to jack up threes or dunk...You have a bunch of kids that can't dribble with their off-hand or shoot free throws....

It's pretty pitiful watching some teams attempt to play basketball sometimes....

I like it if you have a team that can shoot it and go after their shots when they miss...I don't like it when you have a bunch of kids that can't shoot it then make it worse by not following their shots...

I'd like to see somebody actually hit a mid-range jumper and even use the glass every now and then...

All we have now is a bunch of kids that want to jack up threes or dunk...You have a bunch of kids that can't dribble with their off-hand or shoot free throws....

It's pretty pitiful watching some teams attempt to play basketball sometimes....

Good observations. What a novel idea, practice the mid-range jumper, shooting off the glass, and ball handling. You must be old like me! :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: ..Not real old but old enough to remember "Doom" Haynes from MSU knocking down those 12-18 footers using the glass....

Should've said "old-school" instead of old. The line has added new stragedy to the game for sure. And I like the fact that a team can use it to get back into a game quicker than working for an old-fashioned three. I'm just not a big fan of watching kids shoot 20 footers knowing that they probably would not shoot that same shot if that line was not there.