New Franklin Co HS FB Coach

RebelHeart

The new coach has to get rid of the old coaches that applied for the head job if not he will be stabbed in the back. Maybe if they want to win they dismantle the whole staff. Then the coach can start slow with 3 assistants and gradually work his staff in over time. I know teaching slots are tight but in order to win you have to have guys around you that are willing and able to teach your offense and defense. Change is good after all Coach Brown, Mantooth, Britton and Atkins basically with the same staff didn't set the woods on fire. So maybe it is the staff. Even in Red Roberts last years (with some of the same staff) bad years. Whats that 12 or 13 years? Good Luck!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Britton was hired they had a friendly administration that cleared out some slots so he could hire several assistants. They did the same thing for Atkins. They can't fire tenured teachers and that's about all that's left. The new Director has already said the new coach will have to work with the men on staff. She has already cut out all the fat from the school system to reduce the budget including coaching pay. They did away with 4th block athletics and many other things good coaches expect to develop athletes. She will not do what previous administrations has done to make room for assistant coaches. The new man will be forced to work with the staff in place unless they fire Brewer and I don't see that happening.

ONLY an insecure moron would get rid of Brewer. He is a class act and a very strong defensive coach that is a great role model and cares about the kids.

Maybe the new DOS can find a coach that she can get along with as that seems to be the problem.

Coach Reed is a good MS coach but he is NOT ready for that big a step up. Maybe he can serves as an assistant at the HS level for a few years and then make the move up.

This program, administration, school board, etc. has serious problems in regards to bringing back FC football to their past successes. I remember well when FC had one of the best programs in MT. But now, there's so much negative baggage that goes along with this program I would not be able to understand why any coach would seriously consider going to FC at this time. This is an opportunity for failure for anyone. The new coach would need time to create interest and create a desire for students to want to play football. But if you have a couple of sub par years trying to get there, any support that you may have had in the beginning will have bailed on you and then you are being run out of town. What a shame.

ONLY an insecure moron would get rid of Brewer. He is a class act and a very strong defensive coach that is a great role model and cares about the kids.

Maybe the new DOS can find a coach that she can get along with as that seems to be the problem.

Coach Reed is a good MS coach but he is NOT ready for that big a step up. Maybe he can serves as an assistant at the HS level for a few years and then make the move up.

If he is such a strong DC why do they always finish at the bottom for points against. I believe he is a good person and enjoys the kids and coaching but the numbers are not there.

So are you saying he didn't have all the best players on defense. TM played DE this year on passing downs, the FB played DT,the TE played DE and DT, the receivers Played DB's and OLB's and last year Shaq even played defense with Martin! So how many is that 6 or 7 or do you want all your players going both ways!

No offense to the last poster but the staff did a good job. The team was 4-6 but could have been 8-3 with 9 or 10 extra points. They lost several games by 1 or 2 points. Coach Brewer and Coach Winston are both former HC's and Jim Carr is well respected. Only a total idiot would get rid of them. Next years team will have a very good senior QB and junior RB. The key may be how quickly the new coach can put together an offensive line.

Scott Smith, Trae Aric, Steve Matthews have reportedly interviewed along with three local coaches. I also heard the Pigeon Forge HC applied plus an assistant from Tullahoma and Stewart County and the HC from Lighthouse Christian. The radio guy said Steve Carson withdrew his name after the interview.

Franklin County has one of the best facilities in the state but three good coaches (atkins, britton and mantooth) have struggled at times at this program. Mantooth won 7 games in one season and that's the best this decade. The next two years could be rebuilding seasons for the Rebs? It would be interesting to see Smith or Aric as head coach running the T-Franklin system with Wooten at QB. It could work!

I thought Jim Carr would be the next HC but he has not applied. I think Smith, Matthews and Aric would all be safe picks but none of them had any more success this past season at their schools than Coach Atkins staff this season with Martin and the Rebs. One thing is sure they will miss T.O. Martin! Best RB in school history IMHO. Whoever they hire will not be able to bring any coaches with him because there will be only 1 teaching slot open for the head coach. Everyone on staff has tenure except Brewer so the new guy had better make friends with the coaches on staff.

Coach Reed from South may be the next head coach at FC because he has done a great job at SM but I don't see Mantooth hiring him over Smith or Aric who are both proven experienced HC's at the HS level.

There was one coach in the district with Moore Co that told me Steve Matthews did more with what he had than any other coach in the district. Moore Co did start 4 sophomores, 4 juniors and only 3 seniors last season. They did finish 3rd in Coach Matthews first year, by emphasizing special teams and the kicking game. They did win all the close games that season. By playing at Memphis Univ and UT and the Jacksonville Jaguars, he does know a little about the game and working as an assistant to John Olive, Ronnie Dyer and Sam Melton couldn't hurt. If Steve would put together a good staff, I think he would be great for Franklin Co.