Top AA teams in the state....

GCPioneer

As requested, PHargis wanted me to make a "top AA teams in the state" thread so we could eventually narrow the top 10-15 down in each class. Here's my top teams based on what they return last year and what they have done thus far this year.

1) Gibson Co. - They return 3 D1 players (Butler, Griffin, Reedy) who have already signed with UT-Martin. They won the gold last year finishing 35-0. They have started off this year 10-0 defeating the 2 toughest teams on their schedule once with those 2 teams being Obion Co. and Martin Westview, both by double digits.

2) Westview - They return EVERYONE from last years state semifinal team that lost to Livingston Academy by 4. Amber Rechis is easily one of the best shooters in the state. They played Gibson Co. extremely close last Friday night with Gibson Co. making a run at the end to win it. They will be make a deep postseason run.

3) South Greene - They return 6 Seniors this year. They are lead by Belmont signee, Rechelle Dye. South Greene gave Gibson Co. more than they wanted in the state championship despite the lopsided score. South Greene's defense was very good and they were very physical. I expect to see them there again this year.

4) Livingston Academy - Livingston had a great team last year and look to have a great team this year. They are a somewhat young team, however they do have state tournament experience under their belt by making it to the state championship last year. Livingston is extremely well coached and a very agressive team. Makinzie Sells should lead Livingston back to the 'boro once again this year!

5) Elizabethton - Elizabethton is looking to have a great start to the season after getting knocked out in the first round of the state tournaments last year to Westview. They're currently sitting at 9-2 with their 2 losses being to 2 good AAA schools in Greenville and Morristown West. Almost all of their 9 wins have come in blowout fashion. Elizabethton looks to have a good strong team again this year.

6) McMinn Central - Despite losing Mylie Lambert to graduation last year, McMinn Central hasn't missed a beat. They are currently sitting at 6-1 with their only loss being to a much larger school in Maryville by only 4 points. Their schedule doesn't look extremely tough which could hurt them in the long run.

7) Upperman - Upperman probably had the toughest sub-state game in the state last year and unfortunately they had to travel undefeated McMinn Central. This year they're going into the post Lashay Davis era. They do return a 6'4 post player in Karissa Dyer for her Senior season.

8) Bolivar Central - Bolivar looks to be having a slow start to start off the year, however Coach Rick Rudesill will have Bolivar playing good basketball when it really matters. Unfortunately this year, Bolivar will be in the same region with Gibson Co., Westview, and Obion Co. Bolivar is extremely athletic and is led by UT-Martin signee, Matreika Minter.

9) Cannon Co. - I had heard the hype during the pre-season about how good Cannon Co. might be this year. Well, the hype has been lived up so far this year. They're currently sitting at 9-0 and coming off of an 11 point victory over Livingston Academy. They also have another impressive win over 1A Forrest. This team looks to be very young with only 2 Seniors on the roster. I have Cannon Co. ranked this low due to the fact that I haven't gotten to see them this year and they haven't been too good over the past few years. Could Cannon Co. be returning to its glory days? (Cannon Co. could be ranked higher than this. Like I said, I haven't gotten to see them this year and they have been paricularly a powerhouse over these last few years.)

10) Obion Co. - Obion Co. could very well be possibly better than some of these teams in front of them. They are lead by Univ. of Texas signee in Chassidy Fussell, who was also a Ms. Basketball candidate last year and should win it this year. They also bring height along side Fussell with Katie Pate in the post at 6'2. From the looks of it, Obion Co.'s Freshman class looks to be loaded with some talent for future references. Obion is well coached and if they were in any other district in the state, they could very well win it.

This is my opinion. Everyone voice your opinions as well as a top 10 in AA.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you "GCPioneer" on most of your teams and the breakdowns as well. This is how I rank the top ten. I will say up front this is my feelings on the best teams not how far I think they may or may not go in the post-season(playing in tougher districts, etc.).

1. Gibson Co

2. Westview

3. South Greene

4. Upperman

5. McMinn Central

6. Obion Co.

7. Cannon Co.

8. Livingston Academy

9. Christ Presbyterian Academy

10. Elizabethton/Grundy Co./Bolivar Central

I agree with you "GCPioneer" on most of your teams and the breakdowns as well. This is how I rank the top ten. I will say up front this is my feelings on the best teams not how far I think they may or may not go in the post-season(playing in tougher districts, etc.).

1. Gibson Co

2. Westview

3. South Greene

4. Upperman

5. McMinn Central

6. Obion Co.

7. Cannon Co.

8. Livingston Academy

I can't argue with that top 10 either.

Some people are already giving Gibson Co. the gold ball. I think we have a GREAT chance at bringing home another gold one, however everyone does need to keep in mind the Marshall Co. team that won state two years ago and practically returned all their studs, including Lauren March, last year. They were on a tear all season and lose to Hume Fogg of all teams in the region tournament. No disrespect to Hume Fogg, but I had never even heard of them until they beat Marshall Co. I know we have the weapons to bring one home, but I'm not necessarily going to say we're a lock to win it because anything can happen. I

1. Gibson Co

2. Westview

3. South Greene

4. Upperman

5. McMinn Central

6. Obion Co.

7. Cannon Co.

8. Livingston Academy

I can't argue with that top 10 either.

Some people are already giving Gibson Co. the gold ball. I think we have a GREAT chance at bringing home another gold one, however everyone does need to keep in mind the Marshall Co. team that won state two years ago and practically returned all their studs, including Lauren March, last year. They were on a tear all season and lose to Hume Fogg of all teams in the region tournament. No disrespect to Hume Fogg, but I had never even heard of them until they beat Marshall Co. I know we have the weapons to bring one home, but I'm not necessarily going to say we're a lock to win it because anything can happen. I

You are right anything can happen. As they say, "that is why you play the games." I think you could pick out at least 6 or 7 of the teams I have listed and at some point in their collective histories have had dominant teams in a particular year that were upset before collecting that Gold Ball at the end of the year.

The top ten is full of good teams/programs....But after seeing Gibson Co. last year at state and what they return, to me they are kind of like Alcoa of 3A football...They are number 1 and everyone is playing for 2nd....In other words its theirs until somebody knocks them off. Very talented group especially the big 3. But I dont think anybody is just ready to hand over the gold to GC just yet as GC is probably not ready to give it up either. Good run down GCP of the teams. Good luck to all especially the girls from HOG-EYE!

Elizabethton is looking to have a great start to the season after getting knocked out in the first round of the state tournaments last year to Westview. They're currently sitting at 9-2 with their 2 losses being to 2 good AAA schools in Greenville and Morristown West. Almost all of their 9 wins have come in blowout fashion. Elizabethton looks to have a good strong team again this year.

Greeneville moved back to AA this year. (They had been playing up a classification for many years.) Don't know if this might figure in to your top ten predicitons for AA. Greeneville and South Greene play Tuesday night so we may have a better idea after that first match-up with those two teams what Greeneville is going to look like. It's sure to be a wild ride at Hal Henard gymnasium Tuesday night!

I sure didn't know Greeneville dropped to AA now. I see that they beat Elizabethton earlier in the year by 5 points which is their most impressive win thus far. South Greene will definately indicate how well Greeneville will compete with the top teams in AA this year. The only bad thing I see on their schedule is the fact that almost all of their wins have been very close ball games against teams that aren't predominately powerhouse teams. They lost to a 6-3 Unicoi Co. team as well. Reguardless they have a 7-1 record and are winning games.

I'd give Polk and Macon some consideration if they keep winning.
Grundy might be given some attention. Coacht has started a fan poll which is different than this and I think you might see the difference but it will cause of lot of voting.

While I might not be right, District 13 is good but I can't believe with the strength shown here that both of those schools belong on top. Don't know who else they play in preseason but if they are that good, they should be playing some other top notch schools. and others should try to get matched up with them.

I sure didn't know Greeneville dropped to AA now. I see that they beat Elizabethton earlier in the year by 5 points which is their most impressive win thus far. South Greene will definately indicate how well Greeneville will compete with the top teams in AA this year. The only bad thing I see on their schedule is the fact that almost all of their wins have been very close ball games against teams that aren't predominately powerhouse teams. They lost to a 6-3 Unicoi Co. team as well. Reguardless they have a 7-1 record and are winning games.

Greeneville had been operating without their starting point guard who is now back full speed during the loss and the close games. That's a super hard position to adjust to replacing. I believe the last two wins were over 15 point spreads with reserves and JV playing the last quarter. It's hard to say how they will come together...it's been a rocky road early on. But they have the talent to have a pretty balanced attack on scoring if everybody is "ON" and of course, their trademark defense is still in place. Over the last couple of games it looks like they are becoming more flexible with some transition and are not hesitating so much, attacking the basket more often. This team runs a little better than the last few years IMO. The GHS/SG game tomorrow should be the hottest ticket in East Tennessee and will give some indicators.