Top AA teams in the state....

GCPioneer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure didn't know Greeneville dropped to AA now. I see that they beat Elizabethton earlier in the year by 5 points which is their most impressive win thus far. South Greene will definately indicate how well Greeneville will compete with the top teams in AA this year. The only bad thing I see on their schedule is the fact that almost all of their wins have been very close ball games against teams that aren't predominately powerhouse teams. They lost to a 6-3 Unicoi Co. team as well. Reguardless they have a 7-1 record and are winning games.

Update - Greeneville has now put away your number 3 ranked South Greene along with number 5 ranked E-town...just sayin' :thumb:

Elizabethton beat Greeneville 59-37 tonight. The lead was 33 points at one time at 53-20. The Lady Cyclones are really playing well right now.

Elizabethton beat Greeneville 59-37 tonight. The lead was 33 points at one time at 53-20. The Lady Cyclones are really playing well right now.

Agreed Elizabethton played extremely well...I've never seen so many 3's fall all at once. The Lady Cyclones played smart, fast and ferocious on defense. Great job.

The Lady Devils? I don't think I have ever seen them play so badly, out of sync and sloppy. It's like they played a polar opposite game than Tuesday night against SG. Did they leave their all on the floor at Hal Henard? Because it looked like they just quit, literally. Coach gave up early and benched the starters, made them put their warmups on and I thought she was going to send them to the bus. But the freshmen and sophomores held their own and only gave up 8-10 points which was a flicker of a bright spot on a horrendous evening. :thumb:

My friend GC, reading all of this does not change the fact that you are competing against yourselves who each of you know vividly in any dark gym. You asked what tournament you could have gone to and just look at the Mid Tenn just listed and tell me if any one of you would have b een better in that Tournament. I don't believe anyone will come out of that food fight unscaved but there are all great schools in that tournament. I can assure you almost every game GC would be challenged and two out of three State Championship final participants will be in this Tournamemt. You don't have to go outside the State to prove anything. Current thinking with a lot of schools is they don't have to play good State Competition and get small blemishes on their record. Play who they know who they know every move is going to be made. Makes one wonder not about the players because that is a given. No disagrement. Players need someone on the bench to direct the concert and that may be the reason to duck the good tournaments.

So, you're moreless telling me that Gibson Co. stacks their schedule with easy teams just to have a 35-0 season? That's ridiculous. GC didn't have a game within 20 points in the last 14 games of the season last year. They beat every team they played in the state tournaments by atleast 20 points last year! Is that not enough to prove to you and others that Gibson Co. was absolutely the best team in AA girls basketball team in Tennessee last year? We may not even be the best in AA this year (nothing has been proven yet) and you guys are telling us to go out and play against top teams in the nation while we start 3 Seniors and 2 Sophomores with a Sophomore and 2 Freshman coming off the bench?

GCP,

You have always been fair and unbiased in your'e quotes. I see a time that I thought I would never see, posters that have been fair and unbiased toward GC, turn and become jealous and everything else! It is probably best not to engage in this. It is so sad, for people I have respected over the years now turn and say such things about the GC program. If they are so confident and they have the money to send GC to an out of state tourney, why dont they use that money to come to Dyer, TN. I might be speaking out of turn, but i'm sure Coach Russell will give them all they want. And that is not just for Tennessee teams but all the so called wonder teams that make all the tournaments nationwide! He has been with the seniors since freshman year, i personally know him, and I know that whatever or whatever not has been in the best interests of Gibson Co. High School and every player on that team. If anyone wants to question David Russell then step up friend, how many championship teams are under your belt!

signed,

proud to be from Gibson County, Tennessee

I know its a long way to travel but i would have liked to have seen LA play GC this season, but i guess it will have to wait till tournement time. I watched the GC team play all there games in the state tournement last year.I dont think it would have made a diffrence who they played they would have won by at least 20. To finish a season undefeated is a major acomplishmentfor any team to do and you have to play the best ball that you can every game to keep that kind or record. Im looking forward to seeing yall again at the tournement this year maybe we can switch the color of the ball that we bring home this time tho. :thumb: Best of Luck to GC and LA the rest of the season. Merry Christmas!

I know its a long way to travel but i would have liked to have seen LA play GC this season, but i guess it will have to wait till tournement time. I watched the GC team play all there games in the state tournement last year.I dont think it would have made a diffrence who they played they would have won by at least 20. To finish a season undefeated is a major acomplishmentfor any team to do and you have to play the best ball that you can every game to keep that kind or record. Im looking forward to seeing yall again at the tournement this year maybe we can switch the color of the ball that we bring home this time tho. :thumb: Best of Luck to GC and LA the rest of the season. Merry Christmas!

Thanks LA,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all in your community! Citizens like you only affirm my decision to move to Tennessee 13 years ago. Good luck on the journey for the gold ball, it could be your's!

My friend GC, reading all of this does not change the fact that you are competing against yourselves who each of you know vividly in any dark gym. You asked what tournament you could have gone to and just look at the Mid Tenn just listed and tell me if any one of you would have b een better in that Tournament. I don't believe anyone will come out of that food fight unscaved but there are all great schools in that tournament. I can assure you almost every game GC would be challenged and two out of three State Championship final participants will be in this Tournamemt. You don't have to go outside the State to prove anything. Current thinking with a lot of schools is they don't have to play good State Competition and get small blemishes on their record. Play who they know who they know every move is going to be made. Makes one wonder not about the players because that is a given. No disagrement. Players need someone on the bench to direct the concert and that may be the reason to duck the good tournaments.

pls give this wisdom to the other teams in the state. the ones that have a losing season and are at the bottom in their districts. that they cannot get better unless they compete in a tourney, that at best will only prove the Gibson County High School girls are human! Down here in GC we know all of our girls and encourage them to succeed, not to fail or throw them to the wolves. Im certain there are players better in stats then the girls on GC team this year, BUT i know that no team in Tennessee is better. that means period!

I sure didn't know Greeneville dropped to AA now. I see that they beat Elizabethton earlier in the year by 5 points which is their most impressive win thus far. South Greene will definately indicate how well Greeneville will compete with the top teams in AA this year. The only bad thing I see on their schedule is the fact that almost all of their wins have been very close ball games against teams that aren't predominately powerhouse teams. They lost to a 6-3 Unicoi Co. team as well. Reguardless they have a 7-1 record and are winning games.

Update - Greeneville has now put away your number 3 ranked South Greene along with number 5 ranked E-town...just sayin' :)

...ballfan, you make some good points. GHS is a quality team with a good coach and a winning tradition. Certainly, they deserve ranking consideration. Additionally, I'm sure the SG and EHS rankings were based mainly on last year's results, their returning players, and their records so far this year. GHS had an amazing win over SG this week, but were soundly defeated last night by the Lady Cyclones. I'm sure there were multiple factors in that game. It should not be overlooked that to do battle with SG on Tuesday and then have to play EHS on Thursday is a tough assignment for anyone. However, it should be noted that the Lady Cyclone team that played last night is not the same team that lost to GHS in the HOF game on day 1 of the season. We played about as poorly as seemingly possible in that game. Last night the Lady Cyclones played excellent defense and were very proficient on offense (neither could be said about the HOF game). It is obvious that Greeneville wasn't at their best last night either. I'd like to think the Lady Cyclones had something to do with that. Regardless, I believe that EHS, Unicoi, SG and Greeneville are the four best AA teams east of Knoxville (and all are probably in top 20 in the state). I'm not a bettin' man, but if I was, I suspect there are some epic battles in the future for these teams. Good luck the rest of the season and I hope to see you in the regionals. :)

I know its a long way to travel but i would have liked to have seen LA play GC this season, but i guess it will have to wait till tournement time. I watched the GC team play all there games in the state tournement last year.I dont think it would have made a diffrence who they played they would have won by at least 20. To finish a season undefeated is a major acomplishmentfor any team to do and you have to play the best ball that you can every game to keep that kind or record. Im looking forward to seeing yall again at the tournement this year maybe we can switch the color of the ball that we bring home this time tho. :) Best of Luck to GC and LA the rest of the season. Merry Christmas!

I expect Livingston Academy to be there once again as well this year. You guys played outstanding defense against us last year and that half court press you guys through at us slowed us down ALOT. You guys definately through the best press at us last year as well as the best defense we saw all of last year. You guys were a very good team and should be again this year as well. Merry Christmas to yourself as well!

Greenfieldfan, I'll admit we don't play the strongest schedule in the state. Who else would you have liked to have seen Gibson Co. beat up on this year from West TN during the season besides the teams we already play? You can say Lake Co., but in all honesty, they wouldn't play us to within 20 points. They have no post play that could defend Reedy or Griffin and they would collapse against our press because we'd be able to run with them and keep up. They haven't and they won't see a press like ours all year. You can also say Millington who I do believe could give us a very good game. Jasmine Newome is a beast for coachgat. Millington is around a 2 hour drive from Gibson Co. and would have to be played on a Friday night. No way it could be played on a school night. So...... what other good teams would that leave us to play around here besides the ones we already play?

GCPioneer,

Gibson County is loaded and its a good thing when people say "only two teams have a chance to win on their schedule." I am not being critical, I was just trying to be honest. Its a compliment to Gibson County and the girls when people say they could win 70 games in a row.

There's not many teams in the state of Tennessee that can give GC a game. I'd love to see 7AA send some teams down to play 13AA in a Tournament or visaversa. Or GC could travel to an out of state tournament like Jackson County does every year. That brings alot of publicity to your program if you win in those tournaments and then you see how you stack up nationally.

Noone can question Gibson County being a great team or the fact that 13AA has three good teams. I do question how good the other teams in 13AA are. I do question when you say GC has a tough schedule. You and I are still friends but we differ on those two points.

Livingston Academy will have a strong opponent today vs. AAA Lawrence County. Not sure where they would belong in the top ten, as it should be for our entertainment and opinions, but I do think they belong. Also looks to be another great year of basketball in AA from the east to west. Still believe Gibson Co. is the team to beat.

Greenfield and GCP, I would like to see that 13-AA vs. 7-AA yearly too. Both highly respected districts with much success.