Top AA teams in the state....

GCPioneer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give Polk and Macon some consideration if they keep winning.
Grundy might be given some attention. Coacht has started a fan poll which is different than this and I think you might see the difference but it will cause of lot of voting.

While I might not be right, District 13 is good but I can't believe with the strength shown here that both of those schools belong on top. Don't know who else they play in preseason but if they are that good, they should be playing some other top notch schools. and others should try to get matched up with them.

If you got to go to the state tournaments last year and see Gibson Co. beat every team they played there by atleast 20 points, then you'd know how good GC is/was and that they were battle tested before hand with close games against Westview @ Westview and against Obion Co. @ Obion Co. We have played in the Westview Thanksgiving Classic this year against Liberty Tech who features a D1 post player headed to Southern Illinois (I think) and they also have very solid guard play around her as well. The next night GC played Bolton, who defeated Westview the night before, and beat Bolton by 44. GC also played Ensworth in the preseason and beat them as well as Franklin Road Academy. They also played Brentwood Academy losing to them in a game where Butler was unable to play due to her running in the state cross country meet where she finished 3rd in state. Also, Gibson Co. had a tournament scheduled to play in Florida last year, but something prohibited them from being able to play in it. You can't say that Gibson Co. has backed away from competition. They play who is on the schedule and they play hard every game no matter who the opponent is.

What "big time" tournaments do you guys think GC would get to play in? There's not that many "big time" girls tournaments around here except for the Marshall Co. Hoopfest which hosts the same teams year after year. The only other teams here in rural West TN that would really give GC a good game would be Lake Co. in Single A and Millington in Triple A. Millington is also a hour and a half drive from Gibson Co. so that is pretty much ruled out. I can assure you that Gibson Co. will be battle tested by the time the post season is here. I will also say Westview and Obion Co. will be battle tested as well.

I'd give Polk and Macon some consideration if they keep winning.
Grundy might be given some attention. Coacht has started a fan poll which is different than this and I think you might see the difference but it will cause of lot of voting.

While I might not be right, District 13 is good but I can't believe with the strength shown here that both of those schools belong on top. Don't know who else they play in preseason but if they are that good, they should be playing some other top notch schools. and others should try to get matched up with them.

If you got to go to the state tournaments last year and see Gibson Co. beat every team they played there by atleast 20 points, then you'd know how good GC is/was and that they were battle tested before hand with close games against Westview @ Westview and against Obion Co. @ Obion Co. We have played in the Westview Thanksgiving Classic this year against Liberty Tech who features a D1 post player headed to Southern Illinois (I think) and they also have very solid guard play around her as well. The next night GC played Bolton, who defeated Westview the night before, and beat Bolton by 44. GC also played Ensworth in the preseason and beat them as well as Franklin Road Academy. They also played Brentwood Academy losing to them in a game where Butler was unable to play due to her running in the state cross country meet where she finished 3rd in state. Also, Gibson Co. had a tournament scheduled to play in Florida last year, but something prohibited them from being able to play in it. You can't say that Gibson Co. has backed away from competition. They play who is on the schedule and they play hard every game no matter who the opponent is.

What "big time" tournaments do you guys think GC would get to play in? There's not that many "big time" girls tournaments around here except for the Marshall Co. Hoopfest which hosts the same teams year after year. The only other teams here in rural West TN that would really give GC a good game would be Lake Co. in Single A and Millington in Triple A. Millington is also a hour and a half drive from Gibson Co. so that is pretty much ruled out. I can assure you that Gibson Co. will be battle tested by the time the post season is here. I will also say Westview and Obion Co. will be battle tested as well.

How about the Greenbank Ladies Classic in Greeneville? I know you would have to travel East to play in it, but every year there is a really strong field with teams traveling to play in it from not just all over the state but also from all over the country! Last year there was a team from California that made the trip "cross country" and I know that a team that won the Florida State Championship back to back years with undefeated seasons came in a few years back also...they did not accept the invitation to come back the following year though after losing more games in 4 days than they had in the previous 2 years :roflol:!!! Welcome to Tennessee, huh? lol....Anyways this year the field is mainly comprised of teams from Tennessee and there are only 2 out-of-state teams in it, but those teams are dominant girls basketball prograns from their respective states. Two time defending Champion Wilson Central is back this year, along with a very strong Morristown West team who underachieved in the post season last year but returned everyone this year including 2 D-I signees and is one if the favorites to win the state in AAA this year. South Greene will be there trying to make it one game further than last year and win the tourney again for the first time since the Larry Ricker era in the early 90's, and everyone already knows that the lady rebs can play some ball as just about every post on this thread has them ranked 3rd in the state in AA...It is going to be another great tournamnt I am sure! It is coming up the last week of this month so you should check it out, and maybe look into seeing what it takes to get an invite next year! The tournament has become well known for its extremely strong field and with a resume and reputation like GC has I am sure if a spot is available they would love to have them fill it! It is always fun to see how all these teams from accross the state match up with each other, as well as watching all our Tennessee teams match up with some great programs from around the country!

GCPioneer,

I agree with you most of the time but how do you get battle tested when you have two tough teams on your schedule this season? Gibson County will not be tested in the other 20 games. Westview & Obion are the only possible losses. I really dont think it will matter because GC is that good but dont try and convince yourself that GC has a tough schedule.

GCPioneer,

I agree with you most of the time but how do you get battle tested when you have two tough teams on your schedule this season? Gibson County will not be tested in the other 20 games. Westview & Obion are the only possible losses. I really dont think it will matter because GC is that good but dont try and convince yourself that GC has a tough schedule.

Pow...Pow...Pow....

That's the sound of the proverbial hammer hitting the proverbial nail on the proverbial head.... :lol:

And don't take that as a diss GC....The Lady Pioneers could end up playing Westview or Central a good number of times and will I imagine....

I don't know all the good girl's tournaments out there but your coach does and he could have scheduled THIS team in a couple of them...The Lady Pioneers would have been a welcome addition in any one they were invited to play in...

You guys might have suffered a loss or two, maybe not, but they would have possibly gotten some regional or even national recognition...

Purple,

I'm with you on that. Of course, two Gold Balls back to back and posibly a 70 game winning streak will get you some national exposure and probably in the National High School Poll...............

But we will never know just how good this Gibson County team was compared to the Top Tier teams in America. If Coach McMillan was still there I bet they would have done some traveling just to see.

Gibson Co. does play in the toughest AA district in the state and have to play 18 district games, there's not much open time left in the season. Also, their region schedule is no slouch. Bolivar made it to the state tournaments last year and Liberty is a very solid team as well who already has defeated Obion Co. this year. Westview, Bolivar, Obion Co., and Liberty all throw a different type of team at you. Westview is fundamental and has one of the best shooters in the state in Rechis. Bolivar is the most athletic team we'll see all year and Matreika Minter will be the best athlete we'll see this year. Obion Co. will throw Fussell at you, who could very well be the best player in the state in AA. They could be better than the teams we'd see at the state tournaments. Liberty Tech throws 2 Major D1 post players at you that have solid guard play around them as well. GC doesn't play roll over competition like you guys are making it out to be. I would've loved to have seen GC play in a huge tournament for showcase, but our showcase will be in the state tournament just like it should be.

As for GC playing with top teams in America, that's just like the Alcoa football fans saying they could play with MUS who finished ranked 6th in the nation. There's no way that Alcoa would've beaten MUS. GC is a great team in the state of Tennessee. To go out into the nation and play against some of the best the nation has to offer, that might be pushing it a bit. Yes, we do have 3 girls that have signed a D1 scholarship with UTM, however we also start 2 Sophomores with them as well and have 1 Sophomore and 2 Freshman coming off of the bench. Playing against top tier teams in the nation could be pushing it a bit. Maybe last year, but not this year.

GC...I'd like to have seen them play some regional teams...Teams that are not intimidated from the start..Face it..The teams you mentioned up in your post know who GC is and know how good they are...I feel confident in saying they are intimidated by GC when they take the floor against them...

The 18 game district schedule argument is kind of weak...Union City played 18 district games every year they have been in 1A before this season...They went and played some pretty tough tournaments with strong teams in them...Union City's girls even went out of state to play in tournaments...

You guys are somewhat hamstrung by that Gibson County Christmas Tournament ya'll play in every year...

We play in the GC Christmas tournament because it's tradition.

We have nothing to prove by going to play in a huge tournament 500 miles away. All our girls want is the gold ball and they're satisfied. If you want to see how good GC really is, watch them dominate the state tournaments and then you can speculate on how they'd play in a "big time" tounament. You never agknowledged anything in the second part of my last post. Just because we have 3 big time players doesn't mean we have to play the top teams in the Southeast or the nation.

"As for GC playing with top teams in America, that's just like the Alcoa football fans saying they could play with MUS who finished ranked 6th in the nation. There's no way that Alcoa would've beaten MUS. GC is a great team in the state of Tennessee. To go out into the nation and play against some of the best the nation has to offer, that might be pushing it a bit. Yes, we do have 3 girls that have signed a D1 scholarship with UTM, however we also start 2 Sophomores with them as well and have 1 Sophomore and 2 Freshman coming off of the bench. Playing against top tier teams in the nation could be pushing it a bit. Maybe last year, but not this year."

I sure didn't know Greeneville dropped to AA now. I see that they beat Elizabethton earlier in the year by 5 points which is their most impressive win thus far. South Greene will definately indicate how well Greeneville will compete with the top teams in AA this year. The only bad thing I see on their schedule is the fact that almost all of their wins have been very close ball games against teams that aren't predominately powerhouse teams. They lost to a 6-3 Unicoi Co. team as well. Reguardless they have a 7-1 record and are winning games.

Update - Greeneville has now put away your number 3 ranked South Greene along with number 5 ranked E-town...just sayin' :lol:

I sure didn't know Greeneville dropped to AA now. I see that they beat Elizabethton earlier in the year by 5 points which is their most impressive win thus far. South Greene will definately indicate how well Greeneville will compete with the top teams in AA this year. The only bad thing I see on their schedule is the fact that almost all of their wins have been very close ball games against teams that aren't predominately powerhouse teams. They lost to a 6-3 Unicoi Co. team as well. Reguardless they have a 7-1 record and are winning games.

Update - Greeneville has now put away your number 3 ranked South Greene along with number 5 ranked E-town...just sayin' :lol:

Good job! Greeneville could very well be a top 10 team in AA especially after beating those two teams. My #10 team (Obion Co.) beat my #2 team (Westview) by 25 tonight. I think OC will win these games during the season, but when it comes down to it, I honestly see Westview winning in the tournaments. Westview just got caught on a bad night shooting the ball and they couldn't stop Chassidy Fussell as she dropped 46 points tonight! The west side of the state is going to be represented EXTREMELY well in the 'boro whether it is with Obion Co., Westview, or Gibson Co. All 3 are great teams. Don't take the 25 point loss to Westview as a negative towards them. Just remember that Westview played GC down to the wire last Friday night. They're still a great team and maybe this loss will fire them up and get them going.

There is a chance that Bolivar may finish 4th in 14AA as they have done dropped a district game to Lexington. I don't know how long Minter is out but I remember reading in her article about sigining with UTM that she tore her ACL this offseason. However, Bolivar has regining district MVP Kendra Williams( believe that's her last name) and she may be able carry the team herself but I don't see them winning the district without Minter. Liberty beat McNairy by 3 tonight. It was back and forth all game and McNairy didn't shoot well. Liberty probably would say the same. I heard Liberty had two 6'2 Post players, is this true? I only saw one tonight and I was just wondering if that was a rumor that I heard. They announced tonight that McNairy will play Obion CO in McNairy's Christmas Classic. I'm looking forward to seeing Obion and seeing how we match up with them.