Riverdale Offseason Thread!

warhawks

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope it's not true about more players leaving the program.

This is the time of the year where the herd is going to be thinned out a little bit. Riverdale will be better for it in the long run..............

From the 'rumors' I am hearing it is NOT the normal summer thinning! dry.gif

I honestly hope it is NOT true and that is why I came here to ask.

Unfortunately there have been quite a few players quit. On a brighter note, no one that has quit has a great impact on our team (tried to put that the nicest way I could, lol). But there are also lots of new kids to the program this year. Ready to see what impact they have on the season! Go Warriors.

Unfortunately there have been quite a few players quit. On a brighter note, no one that has quit has a great impact on our team (tried to put that the nicest way I could, lol). But there are also lots of new kids to the program this year. Ready to see what impact they have on the season! Go Warriors.

This is what is wrong with our program right now...EVERY PLAYER means something and can contribute to the team...I could give a long list of players that never saw the field except in blow outs until their SR yr and became a SOLID HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL player. If a kid is willing to work and gives 100% effort by the end of their time they should be able to contribute. If not then we have other issues.

Having an offensive line that was '6' deep was ONE of the reasons the 2004 team was great. By having a roster of 100+ at the beginning of the FALL (not the summer) helped in that we had the personnel to allow for us to practice against any type of offense/defense we would see. It also helped in that we usually had 12 RB's that ALL knew the plays. Yes, now we have three of four that do, but what do we have when they get tired?

While 'little' teams are the norm for Metro, Coaches outside of it usually know how to both coach and control/discipline a larger team. You do NOT run off potentially good players because you do not know what to do with them.

Even the equipment/water girls are IMPORTANT and part of the TEAM! dry.gif

Having an offensive line that was '6' deep was ONE of the reasons the 2004 team was great. By having a roster of 100+ at the beginning of the FALL (not the summer) helped in that we had the personnel to allow for us to practice against any type of offense/defense we would see. It also helped in that we usually had 12 RB's that ALL knew the plays. Yes, now we have three of four that do, but what do we have when they get tired?

While 'little' teams are the norm for Metro, Coaches outside of it usually know how to both coach and control/discipline a larger team. You do NOT run off potentially good players because you do not know what to do with them.

Even the equipment/water girls are IMPORTANT and part of the TEAM! dry.gif

Coaches in Metro know how to do that as well. I still cant figure out your beef with Metro.

As for players being ran off......I highly doubt it is the coaching staff that is running off anyone. More than likely it is players not wanting to work their butts off in the hot summer months. Things have changed quite a bit since Rankin's first several years at Riverdale. During Riverdale's most productive years Rutherford County only had four main schools: Riverdale, Oakland, Smyrna, and La Vergne. Riverdale and Oakland were able to pretty much dominate the other two. Since that time Blackman and Siegel opened up in Murfreesboro and the La Vergne and Smyrna area quickly grew adding more players and more depth. It was only a matter of time before Riverdale's run of dominance ended. Add to that the fact that Eagleville started their own team and that took away a few more players from Riverdale. I am sure that there are athletes still in the building and that Riverdale could still suit up 100+ players. Heck many of the 6A teams theoretically could do that. However, a lot of kids now days are spoiled. They dont want to work for anything and instead expect those in charge to just hand over whatever it is that they want at the moment. Times have changed. As for right now you have Coach A as the head coach. Yes he came from Metro but now he is a Riverdale coach. You should support the team that you pull for as well as the coaching staff that is in charge of that team. Who cares where he came from he is there now and he did very well last year. It always takes time to build your team around your system. Look at Rankin. It took him a little while to build Riverdale into a powerhouse. How did you all do before Rankin? You have your right to your opinion and I respect that. However, there is no need to continually knock metro. I can assure you that there are several coaches in metro that are just as good as your rutherford county coaches. They may not have the record that some of the rutherford coaches have but they work just as hard, know just as much, and do the best that they can just like all of your coaches do.

The knock I have against 'Metro' is they do NOT win! While coach A did do it with the team he had in Metro, it was ONCE out of how many times in the big dance? Even that team was getting the cream of the Metro players that could not afford to go to a private.

While I do agree that kids today are lazy compared to kids in days gone by, it should not matter as they are that way across the state and EVERYBODY has them. It is up to a really good coach to motivate them into working hard for their TEAM.

BTW Rankin had ONE losing year. His first! After that they either played his way or they were benched.

Also from the 'rumors' I am hearing it is not just the spoiled ones leaving but some STARTERS!

Win or lose dont matter. We watch high school football to support the kids and coaches that give all their time so you can have something to be proud of. The reason KIDS dont want to work their tails off is because people critize when they lose and they gave 100% because you want their program to win. It's not us that should matter but them, give them a pat on the back when they gave it all and still lost. I love my high school and proudly support them win or lose, even when I don't agree how the coach does or how a kid plays, but I am not the one out there giving my all, the players are. Be more supportive of these high school and the abilities that demostrate.

Everyone needs to go back one page and read Riverdaleman's post. There have been a lot of players at Riverdale that stayed, and worked, and became solid contibutors and even starters. The 2004 team had a notable starter that took three years to really get on the field.

Every player is important. Just because he isn't starting this year doesn't mean he couldn't be developed into a solid contibutor by his senior year. Even if he never starts doen't mean that he can't be a tremendous asset to the team in other ways. It concerns me that so many starting roles are taken by sophomores that are just entering the program, even a freshmen. That kind of stuff happens but should be the exception rather than the rule. Where are the players that were developed over the last three years, playing rugby? I don't understand the philosophy that whatever hapens just happens.

Somehow, we need to get football players back out playing football.

Win or lose dont matter. We watch high school football to support the kids and coaches that give all their time so you can have something to be proud of. The reason KIDS dont want to work their tails off is because people critize when they lose and they gave 100% because you want their program to win. It's not us that should matter but them, give them a pat on the back when they gave it all and still lost. I love my high school and proudly support them win or lose, even when I don't agree how the coach does or how a kid plays, but I am not the one out there giving my all, the players are. Be more supportive of these high school and the abilities that demostrate.

Winning or losing may not matter to you, but we USED to teach our kids how to be WINNERS all the time, both on the field and off. How they do is not a subject we are discussing as we are always proud of the young men.

It is their 'leadership' I am questioning, and from the amounts of young men quitting it is evidently a concern they have as well.

In the English Parliment what is happening is a big vote of NO CONFIDENCE in the current leadership.

I am not sure why you guys are posting about people quiting the team.This is the first time that I have seen anything about people quiting Riverdale football.Let me tell you, kid's quit the program every year here, just like they do in Smyrna, Oakland, and Blackman.They had people quit last year, and still had a winning record.It's not for everyone(football), and most kid's have so many other distractions now.Most of the kid's who play all four years are the one's who really love the game of football.

We are used to kids quitting in the heat. It happens EVERY year. What we are NOT used to is having a team strength LESS than 60 at the beginning of summer and having a couple of STARTERS quitting before the dead period.

Even the 'clone' has been hearing about it in Oklahoma from friends that played with him.

What is happening is NOT normal. If it was I would NOT be upset about it.