AP Poll 1/25/2010

foxylady

Well, if you want to be a believer, Obion Central defeated Gibson Co. by 13 tonight AT Gibson Co. Now, do you believe how good Obion Co. is?

Never had any doubt that Obion is good just as I never had any doubt that GC and Westview are good as well. Anyone that knows AA realizes that these 3 teams in the same district no doubt makes it the toughest district in the state. I'm was just making the point that there are some other quality teams in the state that can play as well...

Well Elizabethton has only played 1 quality opponent all year and they got beat by 30 so i'm not sure they deserve any consideration sparky. You need to get out of East Tn and go play someone and beat them and then you can talk about being a good team.

I was giving props to GC as the best AA team in the state (even though they got beat last night). I still believe GC, OC and Westview are among the best AA teams in the state. The point I was making is that the remaining ranked teams are quality teams as well. BTW, what team are you supporting?

Although the overall schedule is weak (mainly because of district re-alignment), Elizabethton has played more than 1 quality opponent. Yes, we lost by 30 to MW early in the season. I'm sure if we played them again, the game would be much closer now. We lost to Greeneville (current D2-AA leader) in a HOF game on the first day of the year as well (we played them later and it was never close - had them down by 33 at one point). We were not playing well early. But I know basketball and I know we have a good team regardless of where we are located geographically! We were scheduled to play a holiday tournament in Knoxville, but that fell through. We play CAK on Saturday, so that will be an opportunity to see where we stand. If things go as I expect, we will likely meet South Greene in region play. BTW, we made the quarter finals of the state tournament last year where we lost to Westview by 2 on a last second shot (the "so-called" experts had them slaughtering us unmercifully - we would have won but for a couple of unforced errors late in the game). I personally think this years EHS team is better than last years. Who knows if EHS can make it back to the Boro this year. Only time will tell. If we do, then we'll see how we stack up...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you want to be a believer, Obion Central defeated Gibson Co. by 13 tonight AT Gibson Co. Now, do you believe how good Obion Co. is?

Never had any doubt that Obion is good just as I never had any doubt that GC and Westview are good as well. Anyone that knows AA realizes that these 3 teams in the same district no doubt makes it the toughest district in the state. I'm was just making the point that there are some other quality teams in the state that can play as well...

Now i want you to know that i'm not saying they aren't a good team because their record obviously lindicates that they are winning alot of games just that the level of competition isn't as strong as some of the others around the state. but having said that the coach and team can only play the schedule given to them and so far looks like they are doing a pretty danged good job of it. who will be their toughest opponent in the region? substate?

EHS doesn't need your endorsement (one way or another) to know that we have a quality team. I hope all of our future potential opponents have the same attitude and overlook the Lady Cyclones as weak.

Right now, the top 4 teams from R1 are: Elizabethton, Unicoi, Greeneville, and South Greene. I don't know much about R2; but Pigeon Forge, Knox Fulton, Stone Memorial, and CAK are currently the leaders there.

I would place District 7AAA up against this (and any other) district in the state. It's really a moot point though...

Gibson Co. has 3 D1 signees along with a Sophomore guard that will wind up D1 as long as she stays healthy. Our Freshman class is loaded this year and next years upcoming Freshman will be loaded as well. Oh yea, our coach has won over 900 games as well.

Obion Co. has a girl that has signed with Texas. They also have a very solid 6'2 post player. They have a guard, who dropped 29 on GC last night, that's only a Sophomore and will be the next big thing out of West TN after this year. They are very deep into the bench.

Westview has a D1 signee and probably one of the best if not the best shooter in the state in Amber Rechis. She has signed with Florida Gulf Coast State. They have role players around her that are very very good at what they do and Westview is very fundamental.

With all this being said..... I'd take an all star team from District 13AA and put them up against any all star team from a District from around the nation and would bet money that they would compete with or beat most of the teams they play. If you don't believe me, look at the TNWings AAU team from this past summer. Almost all of those players were from District 13AA.

I would place District 7AAA up against this (and any other) district in the state. It's really a moot point though...

Gibson Co. has 3 D1 signees along with a Sophomore guard that will wind up D1 as long as she stays healthy. Our Freshman class is loaded this year and next years upcoming Freshman will be loaded as well. Oh yea, our coach has won over 900 games as well.

Obion Co. has a girl that has signed with Texas. They also have a very solid 6'2 post player. They have a guard, who dropped 29 on GC last night, that's only a Sophomore and will be the next big thing out of West TN after this year. They are very deep into the bench.

Westview has a D1 signee and probably one of the best if not the best shooter in the state in Amber Rechis. She has signed with Florida Gulf Coast State. They have role players around her that are very very good at what they do and Westview is very fundamental.

With all this being said..... I'd take an all star team from District 13AA and put them up against any all star team from a District from around the nation and would bet money that they would compete with or beat most of the teams they play. If you don't believe me, look at the TNWings AAU team from this past summer. Almost all of those players were from District 13AA.

LaVergne has 3 D1 signees, including a top 50 nationally player going to Kentucky & freshman point guard that will probably go D1 & may be the best point guard in the district in a couple of years.

Riverdale has a D1 signee & a freshman & sophomore that will probably go D1.

Blackman has a D1 signee & another with D1 offers, & sophomore post/wing that has a good chance of going D1.

siegel has arguably the best point guard in the district that already has one SEC offer & is slapping the backboard @ about 5'4.

Smyrna has a post player that has D1 interest.

That would be a great game. Too bad it will never happen. Also most of these girls have played the wings over the years either as TN Team Pride or TN Flight.

Well Elizabethton has only played 1 quality opponent all year and they got beat by 30 so i'm not sure they deserve any consideration sparky. You need to get out of East Tn and go play someone and beat them and then you can talk about being a good team.

Etownsparky, Try not to get too "sparky" with those from the plateau and beyond. Those poor fellers think any team east of Knoxville is part of the lost State of Franklin and should not even be considered for ranking. These are the same folks who are always surprised to see us hillbillies rolling in to Murfreesboro come state tournament time. (Whichever of us goes to State needs to rent a flatbed truck with a rocker strapped to it and get somebody's granny to ride in to the 'boro, :roflolk: ) Tournament time is all that matters anyway - it's going to be a shootout in R1 between the top 4 teams you mentioned. (BTW - the second time GHS played EHS this year, you are correct it wasn't even close, but you have to admit, it was with all our starters benched for over 1/2 the game so coach could make a point...still don't know exactly what the "point" was but that's a WHOLE other topic/thread and it's getting to be such an old story it's not even worth going there.) :roflolk:

Sincerely,

A fan of one of those "no quality" teams you played this year.

(I'll play along with this statement from midtensportsfan - we like flying under the radar, too!)

Etownsparky, Try not to get too "sparky" with those from the plateau and beyond. Those poor fellers think any team east of Knoxville is part of the lost State of Franklin and should not even be considered for ranking. These are the same folks who are always surprised to see us hillbillies rolling in to Murfreesboro come state tournament time. (Whichever of us goes to State needs to rent a flatbed truck with a rocker strapped to it and get somebody's granny to ride in to the 'boro, :rolleyes: ) Tournament time is all that matters anyway - it's going to be a shootout in R1 between the top 4 teams you mentioned. (BTW - the second time GHS played EHS this year, you are correct it wasn't even close, but you have to admit, it was with all our starters benched for over 1/2 the game so coach could make a point...still don't know exactly what the "point" was but that's a WHOLE other topic/thread and it's getting to be such an old story it's not even worth going there.) :thumb:

Sincerely,

A fan of one of those "no quality" teams you played this year.

(I'll play along with this statement from midtensportsfan - we like flying under the radar, too!)

Good post ghs...I agree that R1 will be hotly contested with the current top 4 teams (#1 and #2 in each district) as the favorites. I meant no disrespect with regards to the discussion about the 2nd game with GHS. I realize it was an anomaly that your girls did not play well. However, the point I was really trying to make is that when our girls are playing well, they can play with anyone.

BTW, I like your suggestion about the flatbead truck carrying Granny. Maybe the fans should go barefoot and carry corn-cob pipes as well. Good luck the rest of the season and I hope to see you in the regional finals (that means we will both have made it). As for me, I will just keep supporting my "no quality" team like you. Maybe when we grow up, GHS and EHS can achieve quality team status like those Middle/West TN teams...

etownsparky why don't you put that young'n of your on that flatbed. She would laugh all the way. As for me I already have my bibbers packed.

BIBBERS?!?!?!?! Now you've gone and really confused those flatlanders, :D lol!

Good luck and a safe rest of the season in R1! sparky is right, EHS, GHS and really any of the top 4 in R1 can play with anyone when they are hitting on all cylinders and have the favorable matchups. Looking forward to the exciting competition!

Sooooo.... who will be #1 in AA next week?

I expect GC to remain #1 providing they don't lose again before then which is unlikely. OC likely moves up to #2...

These polls mean little but I don't understand how Gibson could remain #1 when they were just beaten by another AA team. I think top 4 should shape up like this:

1. McMinn Central

2. Obion Co.

3. Gibson Co.

4. Betsy

with scattered (1) votes & a slight chance of percipitation.

LaVergne has 3 D1 signees, including a top 50 nationally player going to Kentucky & freshman point guard that will probably go D1 & may be the best point guard in the district in a couple of years.

Riverdale has a D1 signee & a freshman & sophomore that will probably go D1.

Blackman has a D1 signee & another with D1 offers, & sophomore post/wing that has a good chance of going D1.

siegel has arguably the best point guard in the district that already has one SEC offer & is slapping the backboard @ about 5'4.

Smyrna has a post player that has D1 interest.

That would be a great game. Too bad it will never happen. Also most of these girls have played the wings over the years either as TN Team Pride or TN Flight.

Bri... I was taking nothing away from that District. I knew who was all in it and I knew of the talent over there. Keep in mind you're also comparing AAA schools to AA schools twice the size of us and Westview. Gibson Co. is a very small AA school, believe it or not. With the high school being built in the south portion of the county (South Gibson High School), we could be on the verge of dropping to Single A.

Also, Westview played Siegel @ Liberty earlier this year and had no problems with them. Siegel didn't impress me too much. As for Riverdale, I'll get to see that D1 signee play all next year at UT-Martin. I've heard she can definately play the game. Also, I'll venture to say, outside of the top 3 in our district, it's a HUGE dropoff in the 4th place team. We have 3 AA state championship contenders in our district.