State Duals

HCWC

Hurry, someone post something about Bradley on a totally non-Bradley related thread! The haters can always use a little more kerosene on the fire and Jeff is just dying for some more stuff to post on Science Hill's bulletin board in the wrestling room! Jeff, the "poor pitiful us" approach has long been dominated by RMC, and you can never, ever overtake that guy! :thumb:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or is it that people have to leave the comfort of Chattanooga to come to the event.

nununu,

Wasn't the state duals held in Clarksville? I'm pretty sure you have to leave Chattanooga to get there.

i dont understand why everyone is so opposed to having wrestling centered in Chatt. i mean, i know that there are lots of good teams all over the state, but if Chatt is available and willing to host, why not let them?

Or is it that people have to leave the comfort of Chattanooga to come to the event.

nununu,

Wasn't the state duals held in Clarksville? I'm pretty sure you have to leave Chattanooga to get there.

i dont understand why everyone is so opposed to having wrestling centered in Chatt. i mean, i know that there are lots of good teams all over the state, but if Chatt is available and willing to host, why not let them?

I think most people liked the UTC venue as far a the physical plant went. I know I did. What I didn't like was the Wed. start dates to the state tournament to make room for some women's basketball games that never materialized and the gestapo security. It seemed obvious to me the UTC folks either didn't really want the state tournament or at the very least took it for granted. The dual tournament in Clarksville simply outgrew the building. Now that the mold is broken and UTC and Clarksville are not the shoo in hosts they were for years there are several areas quite capable of holding either tournament that should be explored. One place that get's my vote, especially for the duals tournament is Freedom hall in Science Hill.

Strongbad,

The ancient greeks wrestled on dirt floors. Whats wrong with a little retro? Pulllleasseeeee... The dirt floors are sprayed and hardened and covered multiple times before the mats are laid down. The Ag center also hosts expos and other event where livestock are not involved.

I personally think the wall around the arena is a good thing as it keeps fans in the stands and wrestlers on the floor. The view will be excellent.

Be sure to wear your spurs and chaps..................... :thumb:

I hope you are right, however, I was at a similar venue and it was not good. The floor was bad. The seating was bad. Maybe this place will be better, I hope so.

As far as your logic with the ancient Greeks.......They also wrestled naked and it was socially acceptable for men to keep young male lovers until they were married. You can be as "Greek" as you

want. Retro is singlets that snap in the crotch.

And like my daddy always said......"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I don't mind driving if it is to a better venue for the event. IF. And while we're using cliches "Be careful what you wish for"

"And like my daddy always said......"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Well in this case it was terribly broken...the Clarksville venue was awful. This is not anything regarding the operation of the tournament, but just purely the location. The tournament outgrew the CHS gym about 8 years ago when the small school duals began. Even prior to that time it was always hot, crowded and half the time was spent trying to view the duals through the metal screens where the concessions were sold because there was no room in the stands. The situation was miserable.

The individual tournament situation was also continuing to deterioriate. 2 of the last 3 years the finals were held on Friday due to a women's basketball game. This made it very difficult for fans, relatives, teammates, etc. from out of town to attend. Throw in the high priced concessions and the refusal to allow the wrestlers to bring in their own food and it was clearly time for a change.

I hope the situation will be better this year, but if not I don't suggest a return to CHS or UTC, but instead another location.

I think most people liked the UTC venue as far a the physical plant went. I know I did. What I didn't like was the Wed. start dates to the state tournament to make room for some women's basketball games that never materialized and the gestapo security. It seemed obvious to me the UTC folks either didn't really want the state tournament or at the very least took it for granted. The dual tournament in Clarksville simply outgrew the building. Now that the mold is broken and UTC and Clarksville are not the shoo in hosts they were for years there are several areas quite capable of holding either tournament that should be explored. One place that get's my vote, especially for the duals tournament is Freedom hall in Science Hill.

I concur 100%

My my my It seems that I have missed a flurry of posting while I have been out today. Let me see if I can address several things in one long post (whenever I do this it often kills a thread anyway):

Maj,

Thanks for the compliments, coming from you those things are always appreciated. I am looking forward to seeing you soon… Will you be coming to the duals or do we have to wait until individuals. I agree the venue up in Johnson City has a lot of promise, but it may be a little too out of the way for the state tournament to be practical. Of course that hasn’t stopped the TSSAA from putting many championships in one end of the state (spring fling in Memphis a while back) so those types of things are never out of the question.

Slingshot,

Many things to comment on… if the DII Invitational had no impact on the DI teams in the past, why do we assume that it will have one now? Believe it or not you still simply have “your state tournament” as you so eloquently put it. The good folks in Williamson Co who are undertaking this event are not running one single tournament. They are running four separate, distinct tournaments in one venue.

You may say that you find our (or my answers) predictable but many could say the same of you. Since you ask, yes my halo and wings get heavy quite often. They get heavy late night when I am up working on rankings or helping coordinate one of our national duals teams, they get heavy the next day when I am tired at work or when my fiancé complains that I spend too much time working on wrestling things. I guess I bear the weight because I love the sport and the people in it. Thanks for asking.

You say that nobody is against growing the sport but you complain about an event that is designed to do just that. I remember some of these same arguments from posters when the DIA-AA duals were started. If you are concerned about the uncertainty of the venue and its capacity to handle the load (and by the same assertion, the ability of the people handling the events), then I am glad. We should all hope it goes according to plan. However, why get on here and blast it without giving them a chance to prove that it can be done? I guess some of the negative people just need to strike first.

I have to agree with many other posters, leave Bradley Central out of the discussion; they are immaterial to the root issue here. Yes of course I would love to see them wrestle many of the DII schools but there are match-ups all around the country I wish I could see. I have a lot of respect for the Bradley wrestling family.

Artus,

Not sure I took the time to say so before but it was good meeting you formally earlier this year. Good luck to your group this weekend. You have a fan in the stands in me. Hopefully, we can say hello this weekend as well... since we are all finally back together again.

Smwwrest,

I couldn’t agree more on the venue at Clarksville. It was simply getting uncomfortable there. Personally, I liked being able to go to Clarksville… I have family that graduated from there and several that still live there. In some ways it was like a homecoming.

I can’t understand why so many people are afraid of a little change. It is different and not every change will result in a positive outcome but if we learn our lessons and keep an eye towards continuous improvement then our product will get better over time. That is what I hope for in all areas of wrestling for this state.

Following is a link to the Williamson County Ag Expo Center

http://www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov/index.aspx?nid=599

MatMax,

Thanks for putting the link up. I hope folks will go to it and look at the gallery of pictures. It amazing what they will see: EVENTS where there is no dirt on the floor like car shows, ice skating, etc... Wow, I thought we were going to deal with dirt? If the name of the facility was the Williamson County Expo Center rather than the Williamson County Ag Expo Center, some of folks criticism would just go away.

Here are some advantages to the facility that apply to the duals and the upcoming individuals:

1. Plenty of parking!

2. Spacious seating with room to move around!

3. Wrestlers can bring their own food

4. Plenty of hotel rooms and restaurants right up the road in Franklin/Cool Springs. There is even an Irish Pub for BCB(Dan McGuinness on Carothers Pkwy) though my recommendation is the Cajun Steamer, awesome place.

5. All of the tournaments on one floor which will make for great spectating.

There will be some growing pains as there are with all new events. Hopefully, we will learn things this weekend that we can apply in 2 weeks at the individuals. If the facility ends up being a bust, I'm sure TSSAA will move it. Just give it a chance and provide constructive feedback.

We're looking forward to all of you coming to Williamson County for some calf ro.......oops, I mean wrestling(even you BCB)! :thumb: