Jefferson County Football 2010

JCSP20

Spring practice begins in early May and is concluded on May 18th with the blue and white game. Other than that, there are no more spring scrimmiges

Is this common for Jeffeson Co. not to scrimmage anyone in the spring? Seems like a scrimmage would give a coach a better read on the kind of team he will have. Just the thoughts of a random fan.

Spring practice begins in early May and is concluded on May 18th with the blue and white game. Other than that, there are no more spring scrimmiges

Is this common for Jeffeson Co. not to scrimmage anyone in the spring? Seems like a scrimmage would give a coach a better read on the kind of team he will have. Just the thoughts of a random fan.

Jeff Co usually does participate in Spring Scrimages. They scrimaged Science Hill last year and Maryville two years ago. Im not sure why there isen't any scheduled for this spring though.

Well it would also give opponents a better read on the team as well. All coaches share film with other coaches so as much as the jefferson county coaches could learn about the team, other coaches could learn as well. Also, add in that the opposing coachers could learn schematical things. I am sure it could go either way though as to which is more productive. They each have their pros and cons.

Looking forward to spring ball. Are there any players making great strides in the weightroom? Are there any new coaching changes? How many guys will not be in spring ball due to other sports?

I believe it is a huge negative not to have a scrimmage. From a player stand point, not much to look forward to except hitting the same dude everyday. From a coaching stand point, I would think you would want to get a look at some players playing against somebody they do not know.

To linemanpat, obviously you play with your hand on the ground. Other than your name, your take on others getting a schematical advantage from a spring scrimmage is very limited. The Patriots are going to run the veer, duh. No matter if from under the center or in the shotgun, the veer is the veer! Are you going to put in the entire offense in two weeks...NO! Are you going to get in all of your defensive calls and blitzes...NO! According to guys I know that coach in other states (GA, NC,SC) they envy TN because the teams get to scrimmage in the spring. We should be taking advantage of this!!

Are you saying that due to the position that I have played I have a limited understanding of football schemes? That stereo-type of the "dumb" linemen is very incorrect. I, myself, find it quite fascinating to study the game from top to bottom. I could stay up at night reading or thinking about things football related that most people could care less about, even the "skilled" players.

On to the offense, it is highly possible that the offense could change. For instance, more balance could be built into the offense by developing a passing game. Now would new plays not have to be implemented during spring for the players to have a better understanding of the offense? From there, would it not make sense to play what you practice in a scrimmage? Then the coaches get together and say "oh, Jefferson County is going to try to throw the ball on us this year."

I am still bewildered by your assumption about my football intelligence. I think you should read my earlier posts if you believe I am ignorant because my hand is in the dirt.

I believe we would benefit from scrimmaging a strong and a weaker "out of conferance team".Is it then a fact that we won't be scrimmaging anyone this spring?That being said it ...It was my take on "linemans" thoughts that he believed that he could accept either direction the team went.I also can assure anyone reading these posts that, if i'm not mistaken ,The lineman is one the smartest players and students in the school.Also i'm told that junoirs Goins and Stooksberry and soph Winstead all maxed out on bench at 315LBS !!!! HUGE numbers guys !!! Keep up the good work!!! GO PATRIOTS !!! :thumb:

I agree about the linemen position dvp4life. Although I am biased, I believe what seperates the offensive linemen and the QB from the other positions is they do not only have to know what to do but also they have to understand why they are doing it. For example, to tell a linemen to pass block is a very general thing to tell him. The linemen has to know if it is a 3, 5, or 7 step drop or if it is a roll-out so that they can choose the correct blocking technique.

The blocking aspect of it is more complicated as well. The linemen have to pay constant attention to their hands and their feet. The body of a lineman as well as the entire line has to work like clockwork. If one peice in a clock is broken then the entire clock itself is broken due to the reliance of each part.

That reliance is the communication. It is all too often that linemen suggest reads to the QB based on the technique a defender may be in (4, 4 eye, 5, etc). Once the play is called, each linemen is responsible for communicating calls to one another and in some cases even communicating to the backs.

There is my lecture on the brains of an O-linmen. As for the numbers, they are all very impressive and contrary to some peoples earlier posts it proves that hard work is indeed being done in the weight room. I am looking forward to a great season from this upperclassmen team!

I believe we would benefit from scrimmaging a strong and a weaker "out of conferance team".Is it then a fact that we won't be scrimmaging anyone this spring?That being said it ...It was my take on "linemans" thoughts that he believed that he could accept either direction the team went.I also can assure anyone reading these posts that, if i'm not mistaken ,The lineman is one the smartest players and students in the school.Also i'm told that junoirs Goins and Stooksberry and soph Winstead all maxed out on bench at 315LBS !!!! HUGE numbers guys !!! Keep up the good work!!! GO PATRIOTS !!! :thumb:
A richly/informative post !!! Thanks for showing a consistantly positive attitude.GO PATRIOTS !!!!

I was not trying to down anyone's intelligence, but the assertation that opposing coaches would somehow gain valuable information through a scrimmage 3 months away from opening day is laughable.

As for Jeff being more balanced, I have heard this record before. I will believe it when I see it. I just want to see some football

I was not trying to down anyone's intelligence, but the assertation that opposing coaches would somehow gain valuable information through a scrimmage 3 months away from opening day is laughable.

As for Jeff being more balanced, I have heard this record before. I will believe it when I see it. I just want to see some football

Believe it when you see it? Well if that is the case than you should already be a believer. The Jeff Co passing attempts have increased each year Coach Anderson has been the head coach. It was 58 his first year, 109 the second, and 117 this past year. This past year the team attempted to run the ball 342 times. For the sake of math, we can round the rushes up to 400 and the passes down to 100 and you get a pass play every set of 4 downs. I believe if you increase the passing game by just 20 throws last year than it comes out at 40% which is a pretty balanced offense. It would be espicially balanced for an option heavy offense.

As for your first paragraph, I dont know if you have been around coaches very long or not but to a coach every detail he can get on an opposing team can and will be used against that team. That basically means every detail is important. What important details could there be to learn is the approach you have taken against my argument. Well there are many things to be learned. Personnel experiments could be learned ("hmm...he tried this person here. I bet this is where he wants to attack") all the way to the basic schematic changes that will always show in spring. As I stated before, all film is shared so these things would be made avaliable to any coaches who asked the scrimmage opponent for a copy.