Henry County Football

West TN football

told ya things at HCHS were out of control!

http://www.parispi.net/articles/2010/04 ... 213649.txt

I agree that some parents (or likely parent) have no control of their children. This is not a problem created by teachers, coaches, or administrators.

You're not a very good teacher if you don't know what's going on with your students.

If you think a teacher can keep up with the actions of 100 + students whom they see for only 90 minutes per day, then you, sir, are an idiot.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they were onthe field on Friday nights, does that mean that they were not punished? NO, It always amazes me that people can not step out of their world and look at things from another perspective. These young men are all in trouble, they have made a big mistake, and it amazes me how everyone wants to distribute blame to the coach. If you knew so much about what they were doing, and you care so much for the football program, where were you in the intervention plan. Coach Gaddis was a man who tried to help young men, he gave them an oppurtunity to play football, something good in their lives, something that might show them that there is other options than what they are living in. He treated those young men as they were people he truely cared about those young men. Many of the football players have a home life where there parents or parent deal drugs, their older siblings deal drugs, and many of you suggest that a coach should just take football away from them and that is the answer. Coach Gaddis loved to win, however it was not winning that led him to play young men that were in some trouble, it was simply playing the best players, he disciplined in other ways other than playing time. Yes to the public it might look better to suspend a young man for a game for getting in trouble, but these troubles you speak of, I am unaware of and I was close to the program. There have been players that got in trouble for being tardy to class, now does that deem game suspension. There has been no sweeping under the carpet any drug issues that some have suggested. Now if one has no compassion for children that have no chance in life and are raised around drugs and poverty and crime, then I can see how one could just say we do not want these types on our athletic teams. That is what makes coaches like Gaddis great, that is why there have been 80 plus kids on that team since his arrival, he wants children to experience success in something, and for many in our poverty stricken community, there are not many chances for success in their households, Now I say how dare you blame coach Gaddis for any of this. I just hope that when your children make a mistake or a loved one does, that you have a little compassion for them, try to educate them on their mistake, help them to understand their mistake, but please do not kick them out of the house for a night as this may lead to more problems. Many of you act as if your child was tardy for class or skipped a class that you might kick them out of your house. No you did not suggest that, but you are suggesting that he remove them from the only stable thing in their lives.

Yes, they were onthe field on Friday nights, does that mean that they were not punished? NO, It always amazes me that people can not step out of their world and look at things from another perspective. These young men are all in trouble, they have made a big mistake, and it amazes me how everyone wants to distribute blame to the coach. If you knew so much about what they were doing, and you care so much for the football program, where were you in the intervention plan. Coach Gaddis was a man who tried to help young men, he gave them an oppurtunity to play football, something good in their lives, something that might show them that there is other options than what they are living in. He treated those young men as they were people he truely cared about those young men. Many of the football players have a home life where there parents or parent deal drugs, their older siblings deal drugs, and many of you suggest that a coach should just take football away from them and that is the answer. Coach Gaddis loved to win, however it was not winning that led him to play young men that were in some trouble, it was simply playing the best players, he disciplined in other ways other than playing time. Yes to the public it might look better to suspend a young man for a game for getting in trouble, but these troubles you speak of, I am unaware of and I was close to the program. There have been players that got in trouble for being tardy to class, now does that deem game suspension. There has been no sweeping under the carpet any drug issues that some have suggested. Now if one has no compassion for children that have no chance in life and are raised around drugs and poverty and crime, then I can see how one could just say we do not want these types on our athletic teams. That is what makes coaches like Gaddis great, that is why there have been 80 plus kids on that team since his arrival, he wants children to experience success in something, and for many in our poverty stricken community, there are not many chances for success in their households, Now I say how dare you blame coach Gaddis for any of this. I just hope that when your children make a mistake or a loved one does, that you have a little compassion for them, try to educate them on their mistake, help them to understand their mistake, but please do not kick them out of the house for a night as this may lead to more problems. Many of you act as if your child was tardy for class or skipped a class that you might kick them out of your house. No you did not suggest that, but you are suggesting that he remove them from the only stable thing in their lives.

I agree and this might be your best post ever! Also, there were 15 kids arrested and 4 were football players. These kids have made mistakes and should be punished. The worst part about it is the fact that three of those kids had full scholarship offers and had the chance to better their lives. Instead, we will see them around town and read about them in the paper for the same reasons over the next several years.

Good post prophet. I agree with most of what you say. Before I even state I would like for you to check my record and I have always been a Gaddis supporter and CRAZY BIG RED FAN :roflol: but there is one thing that I totally disagree with you about. Public perception does matter and it is hard to see. I'm sure he punished those kids for mistakes, but when we start that same kid on a Friday night and yell his name as a starter over the loud speaker we are showing a perception that it does not matter what you do as long as you are here to play on Friday night. I never said they "sweeped drug problems" under the table. I do believe that one of those boys that got into trouble yesterday was in trouble during the season also and it was not for just "being late to class". I know I was not there when he got into trouble, but it was common knowledge in the stands and we all watched him trot out there for the first play. Maybe a small Friday night punishment along with whatever the coach was doing would have worked wonders. Know one will ever know, but it might have helped. Word is now that he has lost his scholarship. Maybe losing one quarter during a season would have turned him around a little to believe that if he does wrong he will lose football. Maybe then he might have saved his scholarship. Once again this is just the word on the street. :thumb:

I did not mean to say public perception did not matter, I meant that the public only sees the games and that they did not see what went on during the week with the young man, we only knkow what we see. missing game time might have helped but family members being arrested for similar offenses did not help, so I doubt missing a game would have either.

As usual, for the most part, fools come to the forefront who love to read themselves in print. Let's condemn the Lion's Club too. What a foolish bunch of posters, save one or two. Thank goodness I never coached in this self righteous and hypocritical place. I can't believe that some of you can possibly be as foolish as you sound. Many of you must be people who have never been listened to all your life, and this provides a forum to finally have your words heard (read). I pity you.

Good post.

On a positive note, I'm hearing good things from some players about Counce. They really like him and say he is very involved with the offseason lifting and conditioning since he took the job.

I am glad the players like him. I assumed that they would. I don't know him but I haven't heard anything but good things about him. I am glad to see things turn positive. Thank goodness for the reprimand. We needed it!