Tullahoma coach retires after only one year

chs4life

Did he give a reason or did he just leave? Will he still teach?

Basketball

Overall Record: 3-25

District Record: 0-10

The record is not the reason for just one year of coaching.

Retired

There is something else going on at Tullahoma. It seemed so the last couple of years.

Go down the list of Sports and except for a couple interest has waned. No interest keeping up with records. Lack of fan support. Unable to keep coaches. Wonder about attendance. Has been good school.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump.

Just dont want to take the chance that some Coach with Incredible, Challenge Loving, Take a Bull by the Horns, Charasmatic personality traits (who actually gives a flip about serious girls basketball) might be looking, I dont want them to miss this information.

I'm possibly thinking of sacrificing a goat tomorrow .... I think everything else has been tried and exhausted. Oh if only there was a shooting star... or an acre of four leaf colvers,.... a $1000 dollars of picked up pennies....

(no intent on injuring any goats was meant during the typing of this post)

we neeed a coach. period.

Can someone tell me how much they have coming back next year? Also what does their future look like for their program?

This years group of seniors may be the best there is for awhile. They did well in middle school but haven't developed much since. The administration doesn't want a basketball program. As far as Snipes, he is only as good as the talent that comes out of the rec centers. His record reflects that. Great guy. Not the answer as a coach. Heard he teaches kids to stop under the basket so when you miss a layup, you can rebound your own shot. Would be wise to have them attack the basket full speed with the expectations of making your layup.

There was a coach Tucker at East Middle that did a good job with the girls a while back. There was a tall McDonald guy that coached at West Middle that went 19-1 with sub-average talent (except a red head that I believe was his daughter). She scored 38 points in one game against our cross town rival and scored 24 against our box-n-one we tried on her at CCMS. They beat us twice and we have a lot more kids to choose from. His sister played at MTSU. I don't know if he was the one that played at the University of Tennessee or not. Anyway, I'm sure THS will go another route as usual.

As far as THS basketball future, the same as it has been. No commitment from administration to develope a program.

I've said it before so I guess I'll sound like a broken record. The tallent on the court this year was about as good as has been in Tullahoma in a while. The senior class of last year wasn't too shabby either as far at Tullahoma basketball goes. However, the total talent pool isn't being used in Tullahoma. Success in other athletic programs in town such as soccer, volleyball, softball and track has watered down the talent pool. Given the opportunity to play for a winning soccer, or volleyball team or play for a struggling basketball program doesn't pose much of a choice.

Not to disparage any sport or anyone, the MVP in VB in the State this year played Basketball. Maybe the Students are not being challenged? And looking at the records of other sports on this site........... But who can say anything about the players.......The adults can't find coaches, and support them when they get there. Is the bar set high enough?

And as a response to choice, there evidently is another choice when comparing sports and its likely being taken, at another school north of there. Watering down? or is it your adminsitration just trying to provide diversity of product and opportunity? Nothing wrong with that. Soccer in Region or State most years? Volleyball the same? Track the same? Softball the same? That's title 9. Can't find enough players but AAA school. What's missing? Compare with boys records. You would have to admit District 8 is good in GB except THS. If THS is exceptional in VB?, Columbia and Lincoln are the only others. As many other Districts, the District depends on too few schools. Can't be good in everythng??

the assistant coach/freshman never played basketball in high school so promoting him is a bad idea

the only choice for coach for the long term who wouldn't leave is the east middle coach whitney darington

she a former tullahoma player in her 1st year of coaching at east

Agreed that assistant coaches with no basketball experience are not the logical choice. Does the record overall for this year's freshman, reflect the players or coaches? I'd have to say both. Intensity is required in any sport for it to reflect on the boards. You perform as you practice.

Coach Whitney Darlington is a prime candidate. She had the best record that her middle school team has had in years and not taking away from the girls on that team, Coach Darlington worked with what she had. She could possibly be the antibiotic to an ailing sports team that needs medical attention badly.

Coach Darlington has the educational requirements needed to take on the position. She also has something you can not buy or teach, Positivity and the NEED to WIN! I understand she is young and her primary sport in softball, yet seeing her in action leaves one with hopeful thoughts of the future. There is a completely different work ethic in the girls coming into high school than there has been in past years. Whitney has seen this and worked with these players. She has completely supported these players who work all year long improving their game. She WAS one of those players when she was attending this school system. Her drive and commitment took her to college, around the United States playing her sport and even traveled over seas to compete and play. GREAT ROLE model, GREAT commitment to whatever she does and this young lady WANTS to win and knows how to relate to these young and upcoming athletes.

If she doesn't take the position, it would be understandable. The Goat still awaits its day...

Tullahoma NEEEEEDS a coach.

Hargis said:

>>There is something else going on at Tullahoma. It seemed so the last couple of years.

>>Go down the list of Sports and except for a couple interest has waned. No interest keeping up with >>records. Lack of fan support. Unable to keep coaches. Wonder about attendance. Has been good >>school.

I have a friend who had children at Tullahoma who as JR's and SR's did much of their course work at the community college receiving double credit--college and HS. He said their time at THS was minimal. Any Tullahoma parents want to weigh in on how this program has impacted sports participation, interest, school spirit? Seems like a good idea to get HS'ers college credit but are we rushing them out of HS too quick?