Meigs looking for new coach

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is this Coach Jones from???? As far as Chatt Central Ump not sure about his name. I hope he does get announced today the kids need a coach. Good luck to the Tigers this year, and to Coach Holliday sorry you were overlooked again but I'm sure your time will come, just bide your time and coach the only way you know how this year.

NBC, you're exactly right. The kids need a coach and a definite leader. Coach Holliday will survive whether at Meigs or somewhere else. Good luck to the new coach. I saw them in their spring scrimmage. They did look pretty good. The numbers seemed up from last year.

Looks like we got some play here and some good conversation, ok Montana we have to wait but waiting is not how to handle this, if there was a coach in play it should have been announced papers or not they had a verbal introduce him at least to the staff and players, now, as far as him being able to bring his own people good luck there tnsport and dc are right this is high school there has to be a teaching job for them and pretty much all teachers have been re hired for next year that are going to stay, unless his coaches are so loyal they want to work for free as volunteer coaches. As for Holliday he will adapt just fine if the new coach is smart he will leave the defense alone and maybe just tweek it but if Holliday is smart he will bide his time there is a head job out there for him and shame on Clint Baker for not giving him a chance. As for Zack Harris, he is a pretty good guy but he was put in a position he wasn't ready for he is from what I have seen a good position coach but guiding the offense should be left to someone with a little more experience, one knock on Harris as the offensive coord. is that he cannot a will not adapt to what another defense does prime example Sweetwater and Pigeon Forge last year Meigs had both games won and play calling got them beat, you can't trap and run up the middle all night mix it up a little he claimed they couldn't throw the ball but when a defense puts 10 guys in the box a 5 yard dump pass would gain alot of yards, I don't know who coached special teams someone said it was Gene Davis but he is gone so no sense talking about him. So heres the thing is the new coach willing to step on someones feet here in Meigs, Holliday is fine as d coord. but Harris needs to step back and coach what he knows best, is the new coach ready to make that decision from the get go, all I can say is good luck because changing the system here has never been done and I can't see the new guy changing it either.

Harris did get thrown into the OC position when Martin left. Although he was the OC he didnt get to run the style of offense he wanted. Eller put in the Wing-T, which after talking to Harris was a offense that he wasnt really comfortable with. This spring Harris had the freedom to put in the type of offense he is comfortable with, which was a multiple set offense mixing the run with the pass. No matter what happens to the coaches, i hope Meigs gets back on top.

Now the cat is out of the bag, Coach Jones is now your new head coach. He led the Central Pounders to two playoff appearances in three years after they hadn't won a game in over two seasons. His offense had an offensive player of the year in 2003 and his scoring defense was one of the top in the area each of the first few years. Let all the athletes know, there will be chances to make plays in this offense and expect pressure play from the defense. The time has come for Meigs to rise again and be the dominant power they once were. Good luck to you all.

Curt Jones is coming back to the Chattanooga area. The former Central coach has been hired as the football coach at Meigs County.

"His resume didn't come until about three weeks ago and when I saw it I remembered coaching against him," Meigs principal Clint Baker said. "I remember watching him and thinking what a great leader. I felt he was on the right track then and I definitely wanted to check that resume."

Upon leaving Central following the 2004 season, Jones returned to Texas, his home state. He has been in the carpet industry, working first for Mohawk and then the last year for a family-owned company in the Houston area.

"I'm excited. Everything happened so quickly. It has been a whirlwind," said Jones, who headed back to Texas this afternoon with hopes of being back in Decatur and ready to hit the ground running on Monday.

Jones met with the players Wednesday afternoon with hopes of beginning evaluations, but the Tigers will run some variation of the spread offense.

"I don't know whether it will be one-back or two- but we'll decide that after we get to know the players. We'll do what they're best suited for," he said.

Jones coached at Central from 2000-2004 and put the Purple Pounders in the playoffs twice. His best season was 2003 when they went 8-4 and beat Powell in a first-round playoff game before losing to Maryville.

An outspoken coach, Jones crossed swords with the Hamilton County schools hierarchy and wound up resigning after an injury-decimated 2004 team finished 2-8.

"I cherish the moments I had with those kids and I cherish what we were able to do for that school and that program. We were able to accomplish a lot of goals in a short amount of time, but I am a wiser person and I am probably more reserved now," he said.

Baker and Meigs County schools director Don Roberts met with Jones earlier this week.

"He is one of those people meant to coach," Baker said. "He is a good leader, a good person and a good coach."

Jones has kept his hand in football. His elder brother is athletic director at a large junior high a Houston suburb. Kent Jones, his younger brother and a former University of Tennessee at Chattanooga player, is offensive line coach at Katy, Texas, which has won three of the state's last five 5-A championships. Jones has helped them, especially in the summers with 7-on-7 practices.

"I knew early on when I left coaching and pursued sales that coaching was my passion," Jones said. "I tried to quell that passion but I could never get away from that pull."

One major change from Central, Jones said, is that Meigs County boosters are interested and love their football.

"I have kept my eye on this area and knew there were only a couple of schools I would be interested in coming to. I am coming to a community where a passion is already there. These people love their football," said Jones. "We have to sell a house in Houston so we'll live with my wife's parents for the time being, but I want live in and be a part of this community."

Jones replaces Stan Eller, who spent two seasons in his second stint as Meigs' coach.

Share/Bookmark This Page

First off one comment made in an earlier post was that they were glad Holliday at least got his interview, what sarcasim coming from that poster but thats ok he entitled to his opinion, now as far as this new coach, he sounds like someone that knows what he his doing and wants to be in Meigs which is a plus I know that the fans will like that, as far as Holliday and Harris, does anyone know if they will be allowed to keep their positions as O and D coord. I would think Harris would step back to coaching a position considering this new coach is bringing in his own style of offense. I would think Holliday would be allowed to resume his duties as D Coord. I would also like to think the new coach would depend on Holliday alot which is good and bad. All in all congrats to the new Coach, I really hope you turn this program around these kids deserve it.

First off one comment made in an earlier post was that they were glad Holliday at least got his interview, what sarcasim coming from that poster but thats ok he entitled to his opinion, now as far as this new coach, he sounds like someone that knows what he his doing and wants to be in Meigs which is a plus I know that the fans will like that, as far as Holliday and Harris, does anyone know if they will be allowed to keep their positions as O and D coord. I would think Harris would step back to coaching a position considering this new coach is bringing in his own style of offense. I would think Holliday would be allowed to resume his duties as D Coord. I would also like to think the new coach would depend on Holliday alot which is good and bad. All in all congrats to the new Coach, I really hope you turn this program around these kids deserve it.

I wasnt being sarcastic in saying I was glad he got an interview. Alot of the criticism on Baker was that he wasnt giving Holiday a chance, or an interview. He saw what he needed to see obviously in Spring Practice and also through an interview and made a different decision. I met Coach Jones along with the players the other day and it was a breath of fresh air. I think if he can get things done his way, he has a good vision for the boys. Now that a new coach is hired, are we ready to support him 100%? or does he have to treat Holiday with kid gloves since some people thought he should have been the head coach?

I do think that Jones will need to keep both Holiday and Harris in big roles because they have been there with these kids and dealing with the community. I dont think he should do anything that compromises his system or his intensity for the game. Just from listening to him, I know he likes to blitz and disrupt plays on defense, and defense is his thing, so he may have more of a hand in that. But offensively and bringing in the new offense, he will probably have a huge hand in that too. I hope he is still bringing in some assistants that know his system and can teach it to the coaches and players in a relatively short time.

GOOD LUCK to the program and GO TIGERS!!