Best Southpaws in East Tennessee

tnbaseball2

Perfect Game has Norris hitting 95 this summer at WWBA in Atlanta and #1 ranked player in 2011 class. Connell hit 93 this fall at showcase. I did not say they ride it. Norris rode 89 last week and Connell rode 87 yesterday topping 89 with only 2 weeks throwing after basketball. I think both will be low to mid 90's this summer again. They both have developed some nasty stuff.

I saw with my own eyes last year at Cardinal Park when they faced each other, both hit 92 on 3 different guns.

Pfiefer>>>>>>>>>Norris. Stats don't lie. Norris is inconsistent and cannot handle pressure. Pfiefer, meanwhile, is 2-0 in STATE CHAMPIONSHIP games. This comparison is a laugher. It's like saying Taylor Mays is better than Eric Berry just because scouts like his measurables. Too funny.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't disagree that they are close. Word on Norris is he can't go for a long time. Word on Pfeiffer is that he has topped out and has not progressed since 9th grade. Question on both is what can they do on the next level? Pfeiffer has not played same level of ball out of high school except the USA ball and many will argue that it is not equal to the showcase stuff that is played during the summer. I know that Perfect Game has a pretty good record of evaluating kids and they have Norris higher. Prove it different outside the Farragut University. I would say there are several of these that have been named that could win a state championship with the players that are behind Pfeiffer.

Perfect Game has Norris hitting 95 this summer at WWBA in Atlanta and #1 ranked player in 2011 class. Connell hit 93 this fall at showcase. I did not say they ride it. Norris rode 89 last week and Connell rode 87 yesterday topping 89 with only 2 weeks throwing after basketball. I think both will be low to mid 90's this summer again. They both have developed some nasty stuff.

I saw with my own eyes last year at Cardinal Park when they faced each other, both hit 92 on 3 different guns.

Pfiefer>>>>>>>>>Norris. Stats don't lie. Norris is inconsistent and cannot handle pressure. Pfiefer, meanwhile, is 2-0 in STATE CHAMPIONSHIP games. This comparison is a laugher. It's like saying Taylor Mays is better than Eric Berry just because scouts like his measurables. Too funny.

Pheiffer = Solid D1 SEC Caliber pitcher 5th to 25th round. Norris = Exceptional Pro Prospect Top 15 pick of 1ST ROUND.

Well the Taylor Durand is a good pitcher.. Still has alot to prove. The thing is that he is not even there #1 pitcher.... AC's top 3 are all lefty's.. There #1 is Tanner Williams who throws ok around 80-81 beat Webb last week so he must be alright. Back to Durand he MIGHT! be able to touch 83 but not stay there. Probably more like 79-80. Looks like on coacht that AC schedule is about to get a little tougher so we will find out what the MAVS are made of now that they are going against O.R., Halls, Powell, these next couple of weeks.

I don't think you've seen Williams pitch lately. He will live around 83-85 with his FB and sometimes go higher. He throws noticeably harder than Durand. But you're right that Durand is definitely in the top two for AC -- watch who starts the two games against Halls next week. What makes Durand so effective is his off speed stuff. When he's on he's tough.

I agree with another poster above that Halls won't have the trouble that other teams have had with either of our top two pitchers. Halls hits really well as a team. With that said, if our pitchers can limit their offensive firepower, it will be a couple of great games to watch from either side of the field. If not, then it won't be pretty from our side because Halls' pitching is so deep.

Pheiffer = Solid D1 SEC Caliber pitcher 5th to 25th round. Norris = Exceptional Pro Prospect Top 15 pick of 1ST ROUND.

According to one website, big deal. Tell me how the kid's gonna be a first rounder when he can't even get past the 5th inning against good high school teams, let alone pitch an inning against the Phillies. And if this kid is so special, why was he not on Team USA?? Seems like that team is stacked with only the top 2011-12 talent.

You have to try out for the Team USA. If you will notice, the top players every year do not play for Team USA until college. The top players play for the top showcase teams. That is why many do not consider the Team USA as such an honor. They do not have the great players. Go back and check it out in past years about the Team USA 16U and 18U players versus top draft picks out of high school.

Again, I'm not anti-either. But Pfeiffer will not be one of the top. I'm not convinced Norris will either unless he can prove he can go deep against great teams. So far, he has only pitched against the weaker teams. But like they are they are some of the best in the nation with Connell not being far behind. The one thing that Connell has is he can pitch a full game and be the same at the end as the beginning. His problem is he plays football, basketball, and baseball. Many are wondering what he will be able to do when he focuses just on baseball. He played quarterback and defensive end in football and then would go play baseball on Saturday and SUndays all fall. He went straight from basketball to baseball.

Again, rather than trashing them. Let's just support them and hope them all the best.

You have to try out for the Team USA. If you will notice, the top players every year do not play for Team USA until college. The top players play for the top showcase teams. That is why many do not consider the Team USA as such an honor. They do not have the great players. Go back and check it out in past years about the Team USA 16U and 18U players versus top draft picks out of high school.

Again, I'm not anti-either. But Pfeiffer will not be one of the top. I'm not convinced Norris will either unless he can prove he can go deep against great teams. So far, he has only pitched against the weaker teams. But like they are they are some of the best in the nation with Connell not being far behind. The one thing that Connell has is he can pitch a full game and be the same at the end as the beginning. His problem is he plays football, basketball, and baseball. Many are wondering what he will be able to do when he focuses just on baseball. He played quarterback and defensive end in football and then would go play baseball on Saturday and SUndays all fall. He went straight from basketball to baseball.

Again, rather than trashing them. Let's just support them and hope them all the best.

Great Post! I couldn't agree more. I am not trying to bash either one. I have coached against and watched both guys since Dino was 9 and Phillip was 12, and have seen both be really really good. Pro's look at upside while us fans and even alot of D1's are looking for finished product right now. There is a big difference and this is what separates the two players. And to be fair, Willis from Gibbs is probably a better "pitcher" than either one of these guys right now, but doesn't have the mature body of Phillip or the electric "stuff" of Dino. What we as fans, parents, coaches and players have to realize is that "right now" doesn't matter as much as "what will be", which is exactly why Dino is the better prospect. Phillip is a great competitor while Dino is a freak athlete. And to answer your question Farragut U., just as NETfan said, alot of the best could care less about USA team. While it is a great honor to be selected, alot of guys choose to play showcase instead. Dino has been playing for the top EAST COBB team, (best program in nation) while Phillip is playing USA. Just a different path, not better or worse either way. Alot of people (and scouts) feel that Phillip is near his ceiling, while Dino isn't even close to his ceiling yet. As for Connell, I have had the opportunity to coach and watch him as well, and he has good velo but he isn't close to Phillip, Dino, or Willis in my book. He does have a high ceiling though. Will be a very solid prospect.

Great Post! I couldn't agree more. I am not trying to bash either one. I have coached against and watched both guys since Dino was 9 and Phillip was 12, and have seen both be really really good. Pro's look at upside while us fans and even alot of D1's are looking for finished product right now. There is a big difference and this is what separates the two players. And to be fair, Willis from Gibbs is probably a better "pitcher" than either one of these guys right now, but doesn't have the mature body of Phillip or the electric "stuff" of Dino. What we as fans, parents, coaches and players have to realize is that "right now" doesn't matter as much as "what will be", which is exactly why Dino is the better prospect. Phillip is a great competitor while Dino is a freak athlete. And to answer your question Farragut U., just as NETfan said, alot of the best could care less about USA team. While it is a great honor to be selected, alot of guys choose to play showcase instead. Dino has been playing for the top EAST COBB team, (best program in nation) while Phillip is playing USA. Just a different path, not better or worse either way. Alot of people (and scouts) feel that Phillip is near his ceiling, while Dino isn't even close to his ceiling yet. As for Connell, I have had the opportunity to coach and watch him as well, and he has good velo but he isn't close to Phillip, Dino, or Willis in my book. He does have a high ceiling though. Will be a very solid prospect.

Well put, i see where you are coming from now, and i'd have to agree completely with this. I'd like to see them go head-to-head in the state tournament.

Connell pitched against Dobyns Bennett tonight. He won 2-0. He pitched complete game with 14 K's, 3 walks, and 3 hits. Hit 91 on numerous occasions on their radar and 93 on a scout's gun the same times. The difference between him and Pfeiffer and NOrris is he was all-conference in football and basketball and does not work on his game year round. He also hit 2 home runs at Oak Ridge this weekend in consecutive games. I thnk D-No is the elite of the three but is struggling going very long in games. His hitting is not as good as it has been. Again, I hope all three make it to the big show and we can all say they are from within 2 hours of each other. Interestingly they have never played together as a trio. Norris and Connell played together with the Jr. Toppers and played against Pfeiffer.

Connell pitched against Dobyns Bennett tonight. He won 2-0. He pitched complete game with 14 K's, 3 walks, and 3 hits. Hit 91 on numerous occasions on their radar and 93 on a scout's gun the same times. The difference between him and Pfeiffer and NOrris is he was all-conference in football and basketball and does not work on his game year round. He also hit 2 home runs at Oak Ridge this weekend in consecutive games. I thnk D-No is the elite of the three but is struggling going very long in games. His hitting is not as good as it has been. Again, I hope all three make it to the big show and we can all say they are from within 2 hours of each other. Interestingly they have never played together as a trio. Norris and Connell played together with the Jr. Toppers and played against Pfeiffer.

Hang on there dad. Kevin pitched a great game tonight but he did not crack 87. Never did I see him exceed 88 on the DB board and you subtract 3 for deflection there. He did pitch his best game of the year but don't be touting a false sense of truth in the young mans head. I spoke with the scouts and 87 was tops tonight. And one more thing if that game is played anywhere else but DB the 400 (408 dead center fence) foot shot to center puts DB up 3-2 and they win. Oh yeah and DB did get 6 hits tonight as well.

But getting back to 93 and HR shots...if, if and buts where beer and nuts ohh what a party it would have been.

Reality check please.

Not Dad. I know dad was not there tonight because I saw him in town. I am going on what your radio announcers said on the radio and what someone at the game said. If any of this is wrong then your radio was wrong. They said what they were seeing. I know for a fact he hit two home runs this weekend. Sounds to me like you are a DB parent/alumni that is embarrassed that your boys got beat again by Boone. Football, basketball, and baseball all in the same year. What has happened to the mighty DB? there may be a new DB in NET.

Again, I'm just going on the radio and fans that were there.

If DB was the real deal as you want to assume you would be undefeated. Reality Check Please.

I just think Kevin, D-No, and Phillip are great pitchers. I will say the same about D-No. I know he had a 14 strikeout game against Unicoi. But there is a difference.

Hey Fan first off I did say Kevin had a good night , his best outing thus far, did not say anything to diminish his hitting in OR.

Am I a DB homer..dang skippy. But I am also a big fans of all the baseball player in Upper East Tennessee. I do wish them well at the next level as I do wish only the best for Kevin..he is a talent.

All I said was what I saw and what I was told tonight. I was there.

We had a Kid hit 3 out this weekend in OR but thats beside the point.