Knox Central Boys coach, Matt Mercer, stepping down..

Turtle

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say sticks, are you refering to the assistant coach at Karns High?

Yes, that'll be the guy. Coach Sticks has been looking for a coaching job and hasn't land one yet. I think Central would fit him to a T. He turned a lousy baseball program at AE into a program that believes they could win... AE baseball team didn't win a lot of games but the kids were excited about playing for a coach with the demeanor to win. He, Coach Sticks, made the games exciting for the players. He would get my vote if Mitch or Aaron turns it down.

I must add... Coach Stick or Stixx is a better basketball coach then baseball but still he taught the AE baseball players well...He's a good coach

Yes, that'll be the guy. Coach Sticks has been looking for a coaching job and hasn't land one yet. I think Central could fit him to a T. He turned a lousy baseball program at AE into a program that believes they could win... AE baseball team didn't win a lot of games but the kids were excited about playing for a coach with the demeanor to win. He, Coach Sticks, made the games exciting for the players. He would get my vote if Mitch or Aaron turns it down.

Couldn't agree more about sticks. He was my AAU coach back in 2002. Great guy and great coach. He also works well with kids from that area of Knoxville. He relates well to them, and they will for sure listen and play hard for him. Hope it works out for him, he deserves the oppoutunity. Good luck Sticks

Yes, that'll be the guy. Coach Sticks has been looking for a coaching job and hasn't land one yet. I think Central could fit him to a T. He turned a lousy baseball program at AE into a program that believes they could win... AE baseball team didn't win a lot of games but the kids were excited about playing for a coach with the demeanor to win. He, Coach Sticks, made the games exciting for the players. He would get my vote if Mitch or Aaron turns it down.

I can't see Aaron Greene leaving UT after all the time he's put into it. It won't be long before he's either a top assistant or running his own program. Someone mentioned earlier that Mitch wasn't interested, but he would be a good fit for the program since he's already there. Mitch has head coaching experience too, at Washburn (way back in the day), Lenoir City, and Carter. Not to take anything away from Sticks, he is truly deserving of a head coaching position.