Knox Central Boys coach, Matt Mercer, stepping down..

Turtle

There was nothing slow about Marlon Bussell and Brian Dirl when Lindsay's teams were known as the Running Rebs.....

maybe coach lindsey was doing the best with the lack of talent he had when "turtle" played. what a joke; "turtle" is complaining about the slow pace! :roflol:

Sorry kid, Turtle didn't play- I was just at every game.. But B Dirl and Bussell yeah that's when the tempo started to accelerate. I just don't remember the fast tempo games.. I don't have anything against Coach Lindsey, I think he would be a great fit at Central and I hope he gets the job but I think most schools are looking for a young and up coming coach nowadays.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im sick how do you do this to an up and coming program.....coach lindsey and lebrandon should have been one of the head coaches...i guess central doesn't want to improve....this is the administratives faults.......

Why are these two coaches so much better than Coach Mitch Mitchell? What have they done? I think Mitchell deserved the job, I don't know how they will do with him. I don't know what Central has besides Dre. Coach Lindsey and lebrandon= 1 district title total... so you can't say their resumes were that much better no matter what Mitchell did before as a head coach. Mitchell has been great as an assistant at Fulton and Central the past couple years.

Why are these two coaches so much better than Coach Mitch Mitchell? What have they done? I think Mitchell deserved the job, I don't know how they will do with him. I don't know what Central has besides Dre. Coach Lindsey and lebrandon= 1 district title total... so you can't say their resumes were that much better no matter what Mitchell did before as a head coach. Mitchell has been great as an assistant at Fulton and Central the past couple years.

Sorry could have refrased what i said yesterday but a little frustrated how this all went down yesterday....u hire and still are telling other ones of the coaches to come in and intervidw for teaching position and they find out over facebook that they are not the pick....just way unprofessional in my book....yea you can take stats but it all comes back to can he get future players like the others could i dont think so time will tell, will players keep coming to central for mitchell we shall see, not saying he is a bad coach, but you have to pick the right coach for the position not necessarilly on what he did at high school a or b.....thing s have changed and kids are different i just know that lebrandon was in the circle of up and coming kids and the kids now knew him very well.....that is what i should have said.....i feel politics is a virtue in knox county schools these days everyone is job scared and dont make the right decisions for the future i wish mitchell all the luck and hope he does well or this could be the fall of a program that was keeping its players....only time will tell......

The previous administration had a long history of bad hires before getting it right and hiring Mercer. Based on what I know Mitchell was the best and most qulified candidate. The infamous Stix is an unknow commodity as far as coaching high school basketball. He has know track record as a high school head coach. Regardless of what he has done as an AAU coach it is nothing like building and maintaining a quality high school program. I don't doubt he has knowledge and good relationships with the young people he coaches but his experience and knowledge is no match for Mitchells. Lindsey on the other hand had limited success at West with similar athletes. Mitchell has head coaching experience, he has work under one of the best in the state in Jody Wright. Has the experience of state tournament play and was on the staff of a state championship team. In my opinion the others were no match for Mitchell.

Not necessarily the best hire but it was the easiest for the administration to make. Coach Mitchell was already an educator at CHS and was in the program so it was easy. He will win at CHS but he is not the candidate who can rebuild the program. His track record shows short stays at different schools and CHS doesn't need this right now, they need a coach with a fresh face to grow as he builds the program.

A couple of other names were mentioned regarding the coaching position and were not hired for undisclosed reasons but there were as many as 10 applicants(per administration). There were coaches with little experience but working hard to make a name for themselves to a coach which led a team to a JUCO national title game so options were aplenty. But the easy road was taken because just a coach had to be hired not an educator and a coach.

As a fan of CHS and part of a family trying to build the school back to having high standads in academics and athletics I was kind of disappointed in the hire. The man needs a chance but the school needs a face lift, CHS got it with the administration and I hoped they would have valued the chances they were given and would have given a new face the same opportunity.

Good luck to CHS administration on future hires.

Interviews are this week and here are 3 names i have heard have interviews. Mitch Mitchell, LeBrandon (sticks) Marie, and Chris Lindsay. Good luck to all 3.

If Mitch is interviewing for it and is already in the building, he will get the job.

Dang didn't I call this hahaha