Time to bring up the 'Powers/Limbaugh' plan again...

davidlimbaugh

Time to bring up the 'Powers/Limbaugh' plan again...

Coach Powers and I have been lobbying for a different post-season plan for several years now.

Our plan?

On alternating years the host site will be the even or odd district.

Take 7AAA and 8AAA this year. Since this is 2010 Columbia would host.

Monday Tullahoma plays Siegel and Blackman plays Columbia. Tuesday Losers play. Winners Play. Wednesday Winner of loser plays loser of winner. Thursday Winner meets Winner and must win two.

Winner of each 'sectional' makes state tournament. This means state tournament has teams from 8 different districts. Current format can have two teams from same district getting to the state tournament, one of the reasons some people like the status quo.

Compare how Tennessee does it with my home-state of Alabama: http://www.ahsaa.com/Sports/Baseball/History/2010BaseballPlayoffResults/2010BaseballBracketClass6A/tabid/3069/Default.aspx

The 'Limbaugh Addendum' to this has the championship games of Spring Fling on Saturday so we get a better walkup crowd and moms and dads who have to work on Fridays can see their sons play on Saturday instead.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another format that would possibly work is instead of regionals have sectionals. What I mean by that is instead of having two districts coming together have four. I know this would mean a little bit more travel, but you would still keep the possiblity of having the two best teams from a sectional making it to the state tournament. For example, have the top two teams from district 1,2,3, and 4 coming together for an eight team double elimination tournament. Take the top two teams to advance to the state tournament and not playing the championship game.

First round games at District winners on Saturday:

Game 1 - D1 - Winner hosting D3 - Runner-up

Game 2 - D2 - Winner hosting D4 - Runner-up

Game 3 - D3 - Winner hosting D1 - Runner-Up

Game 4 - D4 - Winner hosting D3 - Runner-Up

Monday at a Neutral Site:

Game 5 - Winner G1 vs Winner G2

Game 6 - Winner G3 vs Winner G4

Tuesday at Neutral Site:

Game 7 - Loser G1 vs Loser G2

Game 8 - Loser G3 vs Loser G4

Wednesday at Neutral Site:

Game 9 - Winner G7 vs Loser G6

Game 10 - Winner G8 vs Loser G5

Thursday at Neutral Site:

Game 11 - Winner G9 vs Winner G10

Game 12 - Winner G5 vs. Winner G6 - Advances to State Tournament

Firday at Neutral Site:

Game 13 - Winner G11 vs Loser G12 - Advances to State Tournament on other Side of Bracket of Winner G12.

The thinking behind this is if you win you still only play 3 games (Saturday, Monday, and Thursday.)

If you can't win with your ace on Day 1 of Regionals, you shouldn't be allowed to make state. The best teams show up big in big games, no need for double elimination. And why do you need representatives from 8 districts? If they aren't good enough to beat the lower seed from another district, they don't deserve to be there.

If you can't win with your ace on Day 1 of Regionals, you shouldn't be allowed to make state. The best teams show up big in big games, no need for double elimination. And why do you need representatives from 8 districts? If they aren't good enough to beat the lower seed from another district, they don't deserve to be there.

The problem with the system in place now is teams get to the state tournament because they have an 'Ace'. All you have to do is win on Monday and Friday. But once they get to the state tournament, and need more than one 'Ace', some teams run out of pitching and some big scores take place. Baseball is a team sport, including the need for more than one pitcher. Our current system does not reflect that. Until Spring Fling when it becomes glaringly apparent.

Some Spring Fling scores from previous years:

2009: 17-1, 13-3, 13-2, 20-1, 14-3, 15-6, 21-2, 12-3, 11-1, 10-0

2008: 10-0, 13-0, 10-0, 10-0, 9-0, 15-10, 11-2, 16-10

2007: 11-0, 14-3, 11-1, 12-3, 26-0, 19-6, 10-1, 11-1, 19-1, 15-1, 13-2, 13-3, 11-10, 14-11, 18-5, 14-0

See what I mean?

David I agree with you. I guess I'm just a traditionalist in that I don't think baseball is a game designed to be determined by a one game series. There's just too much parity when you match up really good teams.

That, and I think it's tough for teams to work hard, win 25-30 games and be one of the best teams with good depth only to run into a stud who pitches for an average team.

Another issue I've got is that I don't know how fair it is to have the same districts competing against each other every year. There are some teams that really have to work harder to win their district than win their region.....you know.

I agree 100%. It makes no sense -- when you are at this point -- for it to be 1 game winner take all.

Are we looking for the best team...or the team with the best #1 Ace?

Why couldn't each Region have a double elimination tournament to determine the two that play next Friday night in the Sub State? We have time. If you don't do that, have 2 regions play an 8 team, seeded, double elim -- winner is the state rep.

As it is now, if you have a weak district -- see our District 12AAA -- you have a very good #1 team, Overton, but the #2 is a total gimme for Ravenwood (McGavock). Then, you have Overton vs Indy -- one of these, either of which could very well win the 4 or 8 team double elim because of depth, will go home. This happens in several regions.

If we saw fit to create the "Sonny rule"...then this is just an extension of it. Baseball is not a 1 game sport.

Any number of ways you could do it that's better than Monday's one and done.

I like the 4 teams in regional playing a pool play tournament. Winners of 16 regionals play a best 2 of 3 at substate level. Two 4 team pools at state. Winners play best 2 of 3.

or

4 Super Regionals with 8 teams in each one. Two 4 team pools Winner of each pool goes to state. Same format as above at state.

or

32 district winners and district runner ups play best 2 of 3 Friday, May 14 and Saturday May 15. 16 winners play best 2 of 3 the next Friday and Saturday (May 21 and 22), 8 winners advance to state and play 2 teams of 4 in pool play.

Anything is better than one horse teams getting to state with thin pitching and winning 2-1 ball games when their stud is on the mound and losing 16-1 when he's not. I'd institute pitch counts and days rest too.

I like that 2 teams from 1 district can make it to state. There are some district that are stacked. In 7AAA we have several teams that could compete at state and another example is the Farragut district and some of the Memphis districts with houston and bartlett So if you could do the series where the district go away from each other even though it will include travel I think it would be better

• 11 months later...

David I agree with you. I guess I'm just a traditionalist in that I don't think baseball is a game designed to be determined by a one game series. There's just too much parity when you match up really good teams.

That, and I think it's tough for teams to work hard, win 25-30 games and be one of the best teams with good depth only to run into a stud who pitches for an average team.

Another issue I've got is that I don't know how fair it is to have the same districts competing against each other every year. There are some teams that really have to work harder to win their district than win their region.....you know.

Well, it's that time of year so I'm bringing this to the forefront again. Occam's Razor posits, generally, that the simplest option is usually the best. I could add to this, the "fairest" option, as well.

Why isn't the World Series, or any other baseball playoffs, just a one game deal? Because it is a team game, a series game -- not a one game show. More power to the teams with the #A1 Ace that will beat most anybody with their #1 but in a best of 3 wouldn't? I'll approach this from even a different angle. The way it is set up now, you are putting the burden of the entire season, for EVERY playoff team, on the back of one 17 or 18 year old young man. A burden is more bearable across the backs of an entire team. Win as a team, lose as a team.

Region starts Monday. Lose and go home. Substate is next Friday. Lose and go home. But...make it to state and it is no longer a 1 man show. You might have better TEAMS in the state tournament if you amended how teams got there.

District tournaments, generally, are finished today. You have up to 12 days to complete a sectional tournament as described in this topic. The representative to the state tournament would be the best team, likely with the best pitching STAFF.

It just doesn't make any sense. Alabama is different. At least they play a series of best of 3 rounds. I was checking on a team that my son's team beat in Alabama and they are in the 4th round of best of 3 and the winner of their current series is the state tournament representative.

What we have done is to adopt a plan that is not best for the young men, does not demonstrate who the best team is, and -- most of all -- elevates the play of ONE player over the team concept...which is the ENTIRE purpose of high school athletics. Something needs to change, and I can't understand why it is just us baseball junkies that is talking about it.

Good luck to all...except our Monday and Friday opponents next week.