How Fast Does Decatour Co. Stephen Gant Throw?

BigSwoJr

Yes we do see holes and flaws that can cause arm and strength issues. Surely not saying this kid wont make it but with the issues that we are concerned with his chances could be slim in our system. Have scouted for 18 years with PAC-10 and SEC ties, I only work Tennessee and Georgia, Florida areas. We all must understand that on the message boards alot of misunderstandings are happening. This is all talk here but when the rubber meets the road the decision is the colleges. This kid has a great fastball and yes he did have a great high school tournment but at the college level everyone is on a level playing field. You must be able to place and work the system given to you. Good Luck to this young man. Sorry to disappoint all his fans!

:popcorneater: Wow,what an egotistical,pompus post!"Sorry to dissappoint all his fans". GIMME' A BARF BAG! The image of Julias Cesar giving the "thumbs down" signal to send someone to the lions pops to mind.Stephens' uncle was present when a REAL scout from the K.C.Royals(yeah I know they're not the Yankees,but a professional organization just the same) ran him down,congratulated him on the game,and told him that he was as good as he'd seen at his age.You've used terms like "we" and "our" throughout your posts to associate yourself with some phantom college program(s),just to give yourself credibility,but I do not respect the opinions of people who,in a public forum,bash high school kids to make themselves appear intellegent!I'm not guaranteeing Gant to be the second coming of Whitey Ford,but he's a good kid,with a good chance of getting a top notch education(if nothing else)from his baseball abality,and he does NOT need to log onto this post and read how some "grownup" doesn't think he'll make it in college ball. :roflolk:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said tradertwo. I would like to add that if TheEdge2010 were a real scout (I think he's a 15 year old bench warmer) he would offer advice on what he thought Gant might improve on or how he thought "the issues that we are concerned with" may be corrected. I can't believe that scouts and coaches don't notice potential and real talent that they can mold to their purpose. If they can't, then what is their job anyway? Babysitting? Gant has a natural talent, he know the game of baseball, and know how to win. All of that said, TheEdge2010 is constantly saying Gant is not college material. Maybe cause he is just before entering his Junior year in high school. Ya think??? Anyway as far as colleges go..Gant's coaches have already been contacted by several college coaches a few of them SEC coaches. So if theedge is truely an SEC connected scout he would most likely be privy to this info.

Oh well. :roflol: Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes it rains.

What is UC's record? Riverside is 29-5. Gant is 13-0. He lost last year to Dyer Co. and Summertown (both were state champs)

According to the Tennessee Baseball Report, his record is 12-2

12-2 was his 2009 record. He is 12-0 so far in 2010.

He ended his 2010 season 15-0, with something like 7 or 8 shutouts. These shutout include USJ, Lexington, and Marion Co.

Yes we do see holes and flaws that can cause arm and strength issues. Surely not saying this kid wont make it but with the issues that we are concerned with his chances could be slim in our system. Have scouted for 18 years with PAC-10 and SEC ties, I only work Tennessee and Georgia, Florida areas. We all must understand that on the message boards alot of misunderstandings are happening. This is all talk here but when the rubber meets the road the decision is the colleges. This kid has a great fastball and yes he did have a great high school tournment but at the college level everyone is on a level playing field. You must be able to place and work the system given to you. Good Luck to this young man. Sorry to disappoint all his fans!

I want you to know that, while I speak only for myself, I can assume his fans will agree, you have not disappointed any of us. We have seen him play, we have been there for his games, his wins, his shut outs and we know that he will be fine. As was previously noted, he is only a high school player now, so having a "great high school tournament" is what we are looking for. College will come and he will be signed and coached and keep growing as an athlete. I think that a true scout would realize that and know that even if there are holes and flaws, someone with this much heart, dedication and talent will easily keep improving their game. So, my point is, "we" see some holes and flaws in your scouting system and in your general thought process. I don't blame you though, it must be hard to watch a kid with so much potential do something that you were most likely never able to do yourself.

Hip strength, Placement of ball to the batter, Placement of feet on rubber, Stop throwing ball in center of plate, work on placement of pitches at knees and under arms, Bring ball inside more. Should I say more! Anyway good luck to him. Dont worry any major league scout will tell him he can make it, they are hurting for young talent in all rookie leagues. Get an education young man!

Hip strength, Placement of ball to the batter, Placement of feet on rubber, Stop throwing ball in center of plate, work on placement of pitches at knees and under arms, Bring ball inside more. Should I say more! Anyway good luck to him. Dont worry any major league scout will tell him he can make it, they are hurting for young talent in all rookie leagues. Get an education young man!

:roflol: Four of your six "tips" to Stephen Gant involve ball control and pitch placement. Have you any idea how a young man with problems in that area could post the numbers that he has(e.r.a.,walk to strikeout ratio,winning percentage),against the competition that he faced? Anybodys face red yet? :roflol:

Where is the Gant kid playing summer ball? Dulins, APAC, is he in the perfect game system so scouts can check on him thru there website against some of the best competition in the US is he playing at East Cobb or Fort Meyers or going to any showcases.. I know the scouts like to keep up with a kid with this kind of talent.Please someone inform me....I went to an Ole Miss showcase and several Dulins teams was there last year also went to a showcase last fall at Houston high school there was several colleges there as well as 2 Pro scouts..

I couldnt help from asking how "Hip strength" was an issue? All that I can think of is your saying he doesnt lift his posting leg high enough due to poor hip flexor strength. I have never seen Gant throw, but if he is even close to the MPH everyone is indicating I found it very hard to believe he has an issue with lifting his posting leg.

Also how could his foot placement on the rubber be an issue with him getting picked up by a college team? First, it should only take two seconds to find out exactly where he needs to place his foot on the rubber and fix it for him. And by the way that spot is specific to each individual pitcher. So what did you see that made you think he was standing in the wrong spot on the rubber? I would really like to hear your answer because if your right and the kid has an issue with consistently throwing the ball down the middle of the plate, that is a strong indication he is standing exactly where he needs to be on the rubber.

There has been a lot of things said on this thread. Some true, some not. Here are a few facts that might shed some light on the original question......How fast does Decatur Co. Stephen Gant throw?

Gant throws fast enough and smart enough to have 132 K's in his Soph. year, 8 or 9 shutouts, a 27-2 record so far, a State runner up and a State Chapionship title, MVP in the State Championship....the list goes on and on. Hope that clarifies things a bit. :roflol: