Lynn Burkey Resigning at Shelbyville?

CoachT

Premiere? ...... now that is a stretch. When a program goes deep in the NCAA then we can talk premiere!! I guess what I am trying to say is...... Hop on 231 and head Straight thru the 'Boro and up to Wilson county. Now if a school like Lebanon finds a hire like Inman why can't a program like SCHS attract something better than a former coordinator/assistant coach from the same premiere program.?

So who is your pick for the job?

My pick is the coach that can do the most for the program. The coach that every great player in the mid-state will wish they could play for. SCHS will not return to the power it was with out that draw. With the coaches listed as the two front runners.....what does it matter witch gets it.....the program remains the same. Sorry I don't have a name. I am not on the search committee either!!

My pick is the coach that can do the most for the program. The coach that every great player in the mid-state will wish they could play for. SCHS will not return to the power it was with out that draw. With the coaches listed as the two front runners.....what does it matter witch gets it.....the program remains the same. Sorry I don't have a name. I am not on the search committee either!!

I don't disagree with your premise.

Your question is good and your answer is very good. From an outsider but from one who has visited your program over the last few years, to get it back to where it was won't be hard but it will need to looked at from a fresh set of eyes. The concept of every school lookiing at Shelbyville and players wanting to play for them isn't a new concept. At one time it was the concept. Some say that was recruiting and I will say it was an attitude of drawing players to excellence. Shelbyville did it. I am unsure anyone said much of anything. RI provided his knowledge of what it took, had the confidence, the players came and many times sat on the bench until the last two years. it was a great program. Everything about the school and the community was top notch and still is. It lost it's heir apparent Lynn Burkey who was and is a great coach . Whatever happened, the last two years has not been the greatest The students and fans and some parents got concerned and discipline seemed to wane on the team. So what else is new, that happens everywhere. When it rains it pours. The flood entered Bedford county.

Hiring a new coach is something that Shelbyville is not used to. Standards are high and looking back at the last two, their record was great and the community is used to that. The statement that getting back to the time that every school had players that wished they could play for Shelbyville is correct. that was the attitude and success breeds success would be a great analysis and RI was at the focal point. He is a great person.

There are few people that could do what he did and even he, at MTSU, couldn't do what he did in high school because times changed and marketing his product changed. It was something he likely forgot to tell Shelbyville

because schools arround the Boro started marketing differently. Burkey was in a catch22 as he was replacing an ICON and woe be it to change anything. Burkey was and is a great coach. Burkey had charisma but not like RI and secondarily he was from East Tennessee and not sure he connected well with MT schools.

Now the coach, I,m not sure there is one capable today to replace either one of the ICONS. But the closest one needs written in their job description the things that needs to be accomplished for the school. It may not be the way they are currently coaching but all coaches have had to change their methods as times have changed and marketing their product has and seats need to be filled and players developed. Looking at those coaches that have done well , in that regard, in the State are the recent coach at Gibson county now at UTmartin, Jim Brown at Jackson County and the recently moved Hilary Hodges at Riverdale. Drew Maddox at CPA along with the other three have a way of attracting parents, players and fans that most every school looks for in a school. There are others but everyone has x's and o's and these epitamize the rest of the package. The ability to find and hire asst coaches and get the Adminsitation to agree to teaching assignments is another great trait. Some may say these are coaches with a little bit of controversy in their background and that is so. they are always in the press. But marketing is the name of their game and that is their game. But everything they do, no matter if it is a Basketball Camp or whatever, is done first class with communication. The whole State knows what they are doing because they are communicators. Another trait of your new coach.

So now with the two questions, what should be written in to the job description and looked for in a new coach. Names may mean very little only for name recognition but building and maintaining a creditable program along with attracting creditable players and parents will give a coach all of the help she/he needs. if a coach cannot be found with all of the traits, a job description with the ability to develop might be the next best thing.

Interesting here is the AD at LHS went three different directions when hiring their basketball coaches and the three provided success although all will be different. All will be communicators, motivators, great parent people, have great knowledge of basketball, can talk to a give praise to the staff and players and emphasize the right things at their school. The will be PR people for their schools. They are definitely leaders and organizers with the knowledge it is expected of the position.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100 ... 20332/2178

It is evident now who is the spokesman for the search for the coach at Shelbyville and evidently Coach Harlowe, interim coach, is providing the information. The priincipal and AD did not return the Tennessean's call about the matter and neither of the two supposed interviewes would discuss it. Its a good story and likely correct. It will be interesting who the final story gets broken to as the Shelbyville newspaper normally breaks the news for the Principal of the school. Evidently the AD is not in the loop of likely the biggest story in Girls Basketball for the upcoming season concerning coaching changes.

Coach Harlowe, once rumored as a candidate, has evidently taken himself out of the running and whether anyone else has been interviewed is not known. SHS , in the interviews, is interviewing very high level people and whoever is doing it certainly has attracted some very good prospects. All of Middle Tennessee and the State is watching as well as the coaching community.

My prediction....

It will be Allison Clark and the decision will be announced by the end of this week.

Disclaimor

The views of this poster are for entertainment purposes only and are compiled by a diligent study of the facts at hand coupled with the SWAG approach in the dissemination of this data.

OK...I am now 1 out of 2. (the decision was not made "at the end of the week").

I still stand by my prediction of Allison Clark as the new coach for Shelbyville.

I hope Coach Harlow stays as an assistant coach!

Whoever it is, the x's and o's are excellent there is no question. Who ever gets it needs to work on the organization? IMO the great talent in coaching needs to coach and the AD needs to work on the organization. Everybody seems to be running over each other and not getting the communications out? A symptom of a great program not able to handle the information overload. Yes, its true, someone needs to investigate a little bit of technology and use it. The whole state can gain from it. The fans realize it. But SHS don't be dismayed, Camps at MTSU and TT are going thru the same problems and they are certainly not technical deficient. It is organization and a poor understanding what the market wants there. And there is Coacht and his staff :roflol::roflol: , still waiting. Happens every year. Camp scores and information. Likely will increase attendance and excitement 20-25%. Fans still spoiled. Jimbo, you are going to have to put on a seminar.

My prediction....

It will be Allison Clark and the decision will be announced by the end of this week.

Disclaimor

The views of this poster are for entertainment purposes only and are compiled by a diligent study of the facts at hand coupled with the SWAG approach in the dissemination of this data.

Looks like the decision has been made...

http://www.dnj.com/article/20100614/BLU ... /100614024