An Ezell-Harding Application...

RealGoEagles

Posted by pujo:

Very good observation. Thats why we call it apples and oranges. We have some of the same kind of kids and parents that you are referring to, but the percentage is much lower. I've said many times that its a tribute to these parents and kids at the private schools. Public and private schools are very different. I think that is an advantage, for example, if you take two kids with the same amount of athletic ability, but the other has smart to go along with it, the smart kid will win. As we've said many times on here, the publics can't pick and choose like the privates and that is an advantage.

It`s hard to make a case that there needs to be a change because of intelligence. There are loads of good players who don`t make great grades in school. If you can make a case for that reason, then I can surely make a case that private schools don`t have access to those type players. Ever hear of Prop 48 kids? Junior colleges and Div. 1AA colleges are full of them. I see your point but feel it goes right along with the general public school mentality that private school kids are better than public.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don,t think you get my point.I really don,t think that private school kids are smarter as a whole.Just more educated and disaplined,as a whole.They ALL have parents who sacrafice their time and money to see their kids acchive.Should they be punished for this,absolutely not.We are two completely different kinds of schools.Here is a perfect example.250 kids who are very coachable and teachable compared to the same amount but only 60 percent are coachable and teachable,who has the upper hand.We get the kids that you will not let in your schools.Plus we get another class of kids that would never dream of coming to your schools because their parents would,nt give 5 cents to see their kids get an education.Believe it or not,but in our society we have a ton of kids who have no raising at all.Sad but true. :o

I don't understand how making your students pay $5,000 a year to attend is an advantage.

Public schools have the advanatge as far as I'm concerned. They're free. They don't cost a dime. Isn't $0 dollars a lot easier to pay than $5,000?

You're right, though, private schools do pick and choose. They can only pick the students who can AFFORD the thousands and thousands of dollars a year it takes to attend! If anything, that LIMITS the pool that private school kids can come from greatly.

Public school families claim they are limited by district lines, but private school families are limited by their bank accounts.

And before you come back on here claiming that private schools are like the SEC with players driving around in Suburbans and paid for tuition, think again. I went to school with these athletes and they have nothing more than others AND they pay just like everyone else. That is your perception, and since you have no proof of it (since no one has EVER been able to give an example before) it will stay that way.

The fact that private schools are not free, rather they cost thousands of dollars, is a DISADVANTAGE, but I guess you never thought of that before, did you?

Posted by sportsfan0603:

I don't understand how making your students pay $5,000 a year to attend is an advantage.

Public schools have the advanatge as far as I'm concerned. They're free. They don't cost a dime. Isn't $0 dollars a lot easier to pay than $5,000?

You're right, though, private schools do pick and choose. They can only pick the students who can AFFORD the thousands and thousands of dollars a year it takes to attend! If anything, that LIMITS the pool that private school kids can come from greatly.

Public school families claim they are limited by district lines, but private school families are limited by their bank accounts.

And before you come back on here claiming that private schools are like the SEC with players driving around in Suburbans and paid for tuition, think again. I went to school with these athletes and they have nothing more than others AND they pay just like everyone else. That is your perception, and since you have no proof of it (since no one has EVER been able to give an example before) it will stay that way.

The fact that private schools are not free, rather they cost thousands of dollars, is a DISADVANTAGE, but I guess you never thought of that before, did you?

You made some good points sportsfan.....

I would like to offer this question to pujo and others who would support a change.

How does the fact that a kid`s dad has enough money to send him or her to a private school correlate into that kid being gifted athletically?

Hey Pujo,

I wasn't talking to you.

I was addressing all split supporters who think private schools have an advantage by choosing whoever they want.

They're wrong. Private schools cost money. Public schools cost nothing. That's a disadvnatage for private schools.

And since you don't seem to think that is a disadvantage, I guess that makes you wrong, too. (now I'm talking to you)

Posted by pujo:

You have more students paying to go to your schools than we have in ours naturally. The bottom line is they are there.

Pujo i wouldnt exactlly say that. The state of tennessee pays the school a certain amount for each student correct? Some of these questions i dont know the answer to so really im just asking. How much does the state pay for each student togo to school there. How does that compare to privates tution Ezell for example is 5000/year including their book fees.

Also one of the points i have always brought up is that not only are they paying for their children to get an education they are paying for yours to through their taxes but thats another story.

I,m glad you asked this question because it brings out one of the biggest advantages of all.If a person is going to put their kid in a private school and he or she is a great athelete,they are going to pick one with a great atheletic program. It only makes sense. Thats the reason some of the private schools are very weak and you have some that are very strong.

Posted by pujo:

I,m glad you asked this question because it brings out one of the biggest advantages of all.If a person is going to put their kid in a private school and he or she is a great athelete,they are going to pick one with a great atheletic program. It only makes sense. Thats the reason some of the private schools are very weak and you have some that are very strong.

pujo....that is simply not true.(at least here in Jackson) Since I`m sure you are talking about USJ, I can tell you that there are many good athletes at JCS and TCA. Not only that, there are several that I know of whose parents graduated from USJ/OHA and yet have their kids go to another private school.

Once again you have twisted the subject and didn`t answer my question? You don`t have to answer it if you don`t want to, but I just thought I`d point it out.

How does the fact that a kid`s dad has enough money to send him or her to a private school correlate into that kid being gifted athletically?

I`ll answer it for you. It doesn`t correlate. Private schools can only get kids who can afford it and there is no connection between money and good athletes.

Posted by sportsfan0603:

Hey Pujo,

I wasn't talking to you.

I was addressing all split supporters who think private schools have an advantage by choosing whoever they want.

They're wrong. Private schools cost money. Public schools cost nothing. That's a disadvnatage for private schools.

And since you don't seem to think that is a disadvantage, I guess that makes you wrong, too. (now I'm talking to you)

I will admit that I've often had the thought when people start trashing the private schools that give financial aid to needy students, that in a sense, all public school students are on 100% scholarship.

Having admitted that, I will say that public education is for the good of our country, not just for the good of somebody's individual kid. A well educated populace is worth a lot in terms of our economy and our political system.