PRESEASON CLASS 3A TOP 10 POLL IN MURPHY FAIR'S MAGAZINE

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can't complain about the poll. All of the teams listed are very deserving of their preseason recognition and all will be playoff teams once November rolls around. I do believe that both Smith County & Manassas should definitely be included on the list. The Owls are always tough and Manassas returns the majority from a very good team a year ago. At the same time I would not say that those teams are any "better" or "worse" than those that are listed.

As far as 1st Place Votes are concerned there is no way that anyone can expect a perfect sweep of the votes. Some coaches don't vote for their own team because they don't want to pat themselves on the back going into the season. Other coaches really don't know much about teams outside their area of the state so their picks aren't an accurate sign of how they view everyone. Most times in fact coaches don't even fill out the survey. In many cases a media member related to the football program gets to fill out the survey that Murphy mails out each year.

There is little doubt that Alcoa is the "team to beat" not only in Class 3A but across the state as well. Like Ric Flair says in wrestling "to be the man you've got to beat the man" and in Tennessee High School Football the Alcoa Tornadoes are truly THE MAN!!!!

There is little doubt that Alcoa is the "team to beat" not only in Class 3A but across the state as well. Like Ric Flair says in wrestling "to be the man you've got to beat the man" and in Tennessee High School Football the Alcoa Tornadoes are truly THE MAN!!!!

If MUS is still in Tennessee, then there is a tremendous amount of doubt.

I'd challenge anyone to show me any chinks in MUS's resume from the last two years. I'd also welcome any non-blusterous comparsions of MUS's resume (strength of schedule in particular) to any other team's resume.

The thoughts above by no means diminish Alcoa's accomplishments in its class and in its division - very impressive to say the least. But, if we're going to make "across the state" comparisons, I'd be interested to see a cogent argument for a stronger "man" than MUS.

I'd challenge anyone to show me any chinks in MUS's resume from the last two years. I'd also welcome any non-blusterous comparsions of MUS's resume (strength of schedule in particular) to any other team's resume.

The thoughts above by no means diminish Alcoa's accomplishments in its class and in its division - very impressive to say the least. But, if we're going to make "across the state" comparisons, I'd be interested to see a cogent argument for a stronger "man" than MUS.

roll, I had this debate last year after getting to watch Alcoa play Maryville and MUS play Christian Bros. I stated my thoughts and they didn't like it much. I plan on going to watch Alcoa/Maryville again this year and I plan on watching MUS/South Panola this year. I'll make another opinion after I see them both this coming year.

It's pretty funny that Westview could recieve a first place vote. I know they will have an outstanding ball team this fall but for Alcoa to not recieve all of the first place votes is hilarious. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though :roflolk::o:o

Maybe it was Rankin. :o

I really like what Murphy's site says: "Today is Class 3A day, and that means Alcoa day although one coach voted for somebody else to finish on top!"

3A Day will always be Alcoa day as long as Rankin and those assistants are there. Rankin would be a fool to leave this gold mine he has.

roll, I had this debate last year after getting to watch Alcoa play Maryville and MUS play Christian Bros. I stated my thoughts and they didn't like it much. I plan on going to watch Alcoa/Maryville again this year and I plan on watching MUS/South Panola this year. I'll make another opinion after I see them both this coming year.

I was in this debate last year, too. I think it is safe to say MUS was the stronger team last year. Although both were top 100 in the nation, MUS was top 10. It would've been a good game, but MUS would've beaten them. They beat White Station by 20 points and White Station beat Maryville by 10.

Hmmmm, MUS will be a heavy underdog against South Panola, granted MUS loses alot and South Panola returns just about everything, but MUS will still be a top dog to me if the game is close and ESPECIALLY if they pull the upset. I want to see Alcoa play one day.

Alcoa is worth the drive to east TN to watch, especially a Maryville matchup. Alcoa is hard-nosed unlike MUS who spreads out the field and throws it around a little. In Alcoa's 31-14 win over Maryville last year, Alcoa only passed the ball like once or twice. It was very imrpessive to say the least. Alcoa versus MUS last year would've been the game to watch and probably would've brought about the same number of fans as the Alcoa/Maryville game would if not more.

MUS will compete with South Panola. They may not win, but South Panola will know that MUS brought it to 'em. I plan on making the trip down to MUS to check out that game this year.