Marshall County Football Head Coaching Search

Don Thomas has resigned and followed the principal to Lincoln County. He is now the odds on favorite to succeed Thompson as the head coach there upon his retirement. Who takes over as the next head coach at Marshall County?

William Johnson & Don Thomas were both brought in as "sexy name" coaches. Johnson came from Stratford where he had won a pair of region titles. In 2 years (2005 & 2006) he qualified for the playoffs once and won 0 POSTSEASON GAMES. Thomas, who coached at Lee (AL) and LaVergne, followed and coached for 3 years (2007, 2008, & 2009). In those years he qualified for the playoffs twice and won 1 POSTSEASON GAME.

I can't help but wonder "what if?" when thinking about Marshall County. I always said following the 2004 season that Tommy Tharp should have been named the head football coach there. He was a proven winner and would have been in it for the long haul had he just gotten the opportunity.

Instead though Mac McCurry left and the program was in serious turmoil, William Johnson came in and was later found to be a guy carrying excessive baggage, and then Don Thomas came in but it has always been known that he was just a short term solution and really one day wanted to go back and coach in Fayetteville.

Tharp in the meantime has coached in both Alabama & Louisiana. I don't know when exactly however I do expect him to eventually return to middle Tennessee to coach one day down the road. Could this hiring be that "day"?

Something needs to change that is for certain. From 2000-2002 Marshall County was a Top 5 caliber Class 3A team in the state. They compiled an overall record of 30-7 during that time, won the region all 3 of those years, and also advanced to the State Quarterfinals in both 2000 & 2002. Since that time however things have gone SOUTH. In the last 7 years Marshall County has and overall record of 37-40 and during that time they've won just 2 playoff games total.

The early 00's started as a decade where surely you would have thought Marshall County would win a state title. Instead though what has happened is disappointment and in the meantime long time rival Giles County has emerged into a very good football program that just captured a state title.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Thomas has resigned and followed the principal to Lincoln County. He is now the odds on favorite to succeed Thompson as the head coach there upon his retirement. Who takes over as the next head coach at Marshall County?

William Johnson & Don Thomas were both brought in as "sexy name" coaches. Johnson came from Stratford where he had won a pair of region titles. In 2 years (2005 & 2006) he qualified for the playoffs once and won 0 POSTSEASON GAMES. Thomas, who coached at Lee (AL) and LaVergne, followed and coached for 3 years (2007, 2008, & 2009). In those years he qualified for the playoffs twice and won 1 POSTSEASON GAME.

I can't help but wonder "what if?" when thinking about Marshall County. I always said following the 2004 season that Tommy Tharp should have been named the head football coach there. He was a proven winner and would have been in it for the long haul had he just gotten the opportunity.

Instead though Mac McCurry left and the program was in serious turmoil, William Johnson came in and was later found to be a guy carrying excessive baggage, and then Don Thomas came in but it has always been known that he was just a short term solution and really one day wanted to go back and coach in Fayetteville.

Tharp in the meantime has coached in both Alabama & Louisiana. I don't know when exactly however I do expect him to eventually return to middle Tennessee to coach one day down the road. Could this hiring be that "day"?

Something needs to change that is for certain. From 2000-2002 Marshall County was a Top 5 caliber Class 3A team in the state. They compiled an overall record of 30-7 during that time, won the region all 3 of those years, and also advanced to the State Quarterfinals in both 2000 & 2002. Since that time however things have gone SOUTH. In the last 7 years Marshall County has and overall record of 37-40 and during that time they've won just 2 playoff games total.

The early 00's started as a decade where surely you would have thought Marshall County would win a state title. Instead though what has happened is disappointment and in the meantime long time rival Giles County has emerged into a very good football program that just captured a state title.

Hope MC finds a good coach (tough spot trying to find one in July)

What are some names that could be mentioned with the job? I don't think you'd see Tharp come back. This is a job that is loaded with potential. As a previous poster mentioned, look at the beginning of the decade to see the success possible. It should be an attractive job, but this late in the game it will be a tough fill.

When Coach Sorrells left for Lincoln County I figured DT was packing up. DT inherited a mess from the former jerk that walked their sidelines. It will be interesting to watch Lincoln & Marshall now. A turning point for both communities awaits. Will the glory days of both programs return or has the communities passion for football gone away like the Whooping Crane. Coach Sorrells is a fine man & I believe Lincoln will return. Marshall? Its the 4th quarter for them and they are way behind.

:roflol:

With a new principal hired, the search should be close to concluding. I would guess a new football coach will be hired by the end of this week or first of next week at the latest. I could be wrong on this, but this hire will have to be made soon to limit lost practice time.

Who is still on staff?

Nobody left with Thomas that I know of. Pitts was leaving before school let out, and I think Freeman had already left too. That leaves Cook, McClanahan, and Tony Johnson. Keith Stacy was an assistant last year, but now he is principal so he will be lost from the staff.

With Stacy and AD Kevin McGehee, this coaching search is in good hands. Both are Lewisburg guys and will find someone who can be a good fit for the team as well as the community.

Nobody left with Thomas that I know of. Pitts was leaving before school let out, and I think Freeman had already left too. That leaves Cook, McClanahan, and Tony Johnson. Keith Stacy was an assistant last year, but now he is principal so he will be lost from the staff.

With Stacy and AD Kevin McGehee, this coaching search is in good hands. Both are Lewisburg guys and will find someone who can be a good fit for the team as well as the community.

The prospects of finding a coach outside of Marshall County are about zero, unless they are running from something or have been fired. This is not a knock on Marshall County Football, it is a knock on the school system and how it is run. Marshall County High is on its 3rd Principal in a little over 3 years and the same goes for the Director of Schools. The system is so unstable, any coach who does their homework will run from this place. It is a shame, but it is a fact.