Best SP game ever

OLD PIRATE

. . .

1987 in Jasper.

. . .

1990 at Polk.

Copper Basin in '87. Tough hard hitting game. The Pirates scored 3 times in less than 1:30. Otherwise a very tight game.

. . .

Come on OP give us your breakdown.

In that '87 game in Jasper, Rodney Cummings went 99 yards out of the single wing for a touch down. It seemed like it took him for ever to get there. It turns out he had a hair line fracture in his femur. He was out most of the season and playoffs and it caught up to the Pirates in Gordonsville during the playoffs. Due to other injuries, Chris Ferrel took the Copper Basin game on his back and all Copper Basin had to do was stop him. That was also Patrick Pitts' debut as the starting tailback. He was a Freshman.

Finally, someone that remembers when the Pirates actually played Polk County and not just a scrimmage.

In that '87 game in Jasper, Rodney Cummings went 99 yards out of the single wing for a touch down. It seemed like it took him for ever to get there. It turns out he had a hair line fracture in his femur. He was out most of the season and playoffs and it caught up to the Pirates in Gordonsville during the playoffs. Due to other injuries, Chris Ferrel took the Copper Basin game on his back and all Copper Basin had to do was stop him. That was also Patrick Pitts' debut as the starting tailback. He was a Freshman.

Finally, someone that remembers when the Pirates actually played Polk County and not just a scrimmage.

Yeah, I remember Polk beating us the following year in Beene Stadium. A lot of teams beat us the following year.

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't) in '87 Rodney took a knee to the thigh during a Thursday light practice and that is what caused his injury. After that Coach Grider put in the full gear except for shoulder pads on Thursdays.

Yeah, I remember Polk beating us the following year in Beene Stadium. A lot of teams beat us the following year.

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't) in '87 Rodney took a knee to the thigh during a Thursday light practice and that is what caused his injury. After that Coach Grider put in the full gear except for shoulder pads on Thursdays.

Well I must say that my favorite SP game was the 09 championship game. Im surprised its not mentioned on here. i know we (UC) won but come on guys it was a wire to wire game. By The way from what I hear The Tornadoes could be back this year. maybe A rematch. Sounds Fun HUH

Well I must say that my favorite SP game was the 09 championship game. Im surprised its not mentioned on here. i know we (UC) won but come on guys it was a wire to wire game. By The way from what I hear The Tornadoes could be back this year. maybe A rematch. Sounds Fun HUH

A rematch would be Ideal. However, the Pirates have a lot of business to take care of between now and thin. If you will look, no one listed the 2007 championship game either and it was over in the 1st quarter against a good team. No disrespect, but the '09 team would get taken to the woodshed by most of the teams we've mentioned on here.

A rematch would be Ideal. However, the Pirates have a lot of business to take care of between now and thin. If you will look, no one listed the 2007 championship game either and it was over in the 1st quarter against a good team. No disrespect, but the '09 team would get taken to the woodshed by most of the teams we've mentioned on here.

Dad burnit rlh, Old Pirate is right proud you for this post. OP was thinking the same thing and you put it there plain and simple. OP never thought the 09 team was near one of the best SP teams. Fact is.....most likely not in the "Top Ten"

That said figure both the 80 runner's up were better and the 76 runner up would be a great game. The 09 game was a good game with a less talented team winning gambling on ball control.Hats off to them for that.

OP is still watching to see if many old heads can add some input.

David Baxter was a famous, former great Marion County coach. David Baxter Stadium in Jasper is named after him. The young lads at South Pittsburg have been involved in many great games over the years.

Again are you sure it is not Bill Baxter Stadium, Dave Baxter's brother and former principal at Jasper High school?

I know for a fact that Chris Ferrel didn't play them in '86 or '87. It was his sophomore season he threw the bomb down there at the end on a 4th & 30 to beat them in Stevenson. They refused to come up for the last game ever in the series and canceled before the season. North Jackson's first season was in 1988. Ironically, while good, NJ has never been the powerhouse Stevenson was and should be a lesson for those in Marion County that are constantly babbling about merging the 3 schools. That includes academics and athletics.

I'm pretty sure that in 85 the bomb that was thrown to beat Stevenson was thrown by Jimmy Layne and not Chris Ferrel

I'm pretty sure that in 85 the bomb that was thrown to beat Stevenson was thrown by Jimmy Layne and not Chris Ferrel

Chris Ferrel started 3 years for the Pirates including the '85 and '86 state championship games. He was also the starter in '87 into the 3rd round of the playoffs. Maybe the 'bomb' was in 84.

Edit: The '85 backfield was Ferrel, Sisco, Wyatt, and the WB alternated and were Kennemore & Layne (not Jimmy). The SE was McClain. Kenemore was the backup qb one year against Whitwell when Ferrel got hurt and looked pretty good.

Edited by rlh

Chris Ferrel started 3 years for the Pirates including the '85 and '86 state championship games. He was also the starter in '87 into the 3rd round of the playoffs. Maybe the 'bomb' was in 84.

Edit: The '85 backfield was Ferrel, Sisco, Wyatt, and the WB alternated and were Kennemore & Layne (not Jimmy). The SE was McClain.

When I first said the 1985 game down in stevenson it would be the 1984-85 season and I know for a fact Chris Ferrel was not the quarter back. Chris started the next season taking the job from Tracey Kennemore. If you really want anymore info I can tell you all the starting o-line and d-line.

Edited by MrLegit

When I first said the 1985 game down in stevenson it would be the 1984-85 season and I know for a fact Chris Ferrel was not the quarter back. Chris started the next season taking the job from Tracey Kennemore. If you really want anymore info I can tell you all the starting o-line and d-line.

That would make it the '84 season and I never said Chris was the qb because he was a Freshman. Kennemore was a year ahead of Chris and played WB on the 85 & 86 team and was a very good WB. He played part of a game against Whitwell as qb at Beene against Whitwell when Chris got hurt. If you check the '85 backfield I listed above you will see it holds true. The only real difference in the '85 Backfield and 86 was Lehr after Sisco graduated. Terry White was the center in '85, '86, and '87. Those are seasons, not academic years.

Edit: Stevenson owed us a home game so that would make '84 that last game.

Edited by rlh

That would make it the '84 season and I never said Chris was the qb because he was a Freshman. Kennemore was a year ahead of Chris and played WB on the 85 & 86 team and was a very good WB. He played part of a game against Whitwell as qb at Beene against Whitwell when Chris got hurt. If you check the '85 backfield I listed above you will see it holds true. The only real difference in the '85 Backfield and 86 was Lehr after Sisco graduated. Terry White was the center in '85, '86, and '87. Those are seasons, not academic years.

Edit: Stevenson owed us a home game so that would make '84 that last game.

The point i was making is that Chris did not throw the bomb that beat Stevenson in whatever season you want to call it.

Dad burnit rlh, Old Pirate is right proud you for this post. OP was thinking the same thing and you put it there plain and simple. OP never thought the 09 team was near one of the best SP teams. Fact is.....most likely not in the "Top Ten"

That said figure both the 80 runner's up were better and the 76 runner up would be a great game. The 09 game was a good game with a less talented team winning gambling on ball control.Hats off to them for that.

OP is still watching to see if many old heads can add some input.

Saw that team and you are right they were awesome. Totally dominate. It would be great to see how they would match up. From what I saw it would not be ideal for UC. Still interesting though. I was also there when you guys beat Lake County . That also was a great team. yall have a rich traditon plenty to be proud of for sure. Not sure exactly how far we will go this season. But we could make a run in the next couple of years.Good Luck hope to see ya down the road.