Best SP game ever

OLD PIRATE

We lost 13-12 against Sequatchie. Whitwell beat us 10-7 in OT. That game Ferrell got hurt and didn't return until playoffs. If I am not mistaken our record was 11-4 counting the championship game. The regular season record was 6-3.

Seq was 0-3 entering that game and finished 4-6, that included a 1-point loss to Bledsoe and a 2-point loss to a good Chattanooga Central team but still 4-6. Four seniors that year. The win over SP that year is probably the biggest upset ever for the football program, maybe the entire athletic program which speaks highly of SP's history.

well I dont know about the OLD PIRATE but my alltime favorite game was in 1969 when Jasper had Eddie Brown that went on to become a pro-bowl retuner in the NFL and THE PIRATES had the Legion (JIMMY WIGFALL).I was a freshman that year and the hype for this game was unlike any other I ever have been associated with.Now SP went on to win the game and take the State 1A trophy in the 1st year the state split schools up.it was Don Griders 1st year at the helm running the single wing that Phil Beene had ran so many years before him.Wigfall was a man among boys on the football field he would hit you.at sweetwater they brought a firetruck 2 wet down the field before Sp played them 2 slow Wigfalls speed down but it backfired.those were the teams 2 me the teams of the late 60's..I am like OLD PIRATE I would like to see if anyone remembers any details in the SP VS Jasper game in 69

Thank you OLD PIRATE for this topic because it sure has brought back some great memories. I was thinking the other day that a bunch of the best games, simulations, competitions, and events were not even up on the main field but was down in the hole. I mean the hole before it was fixed up and looked better than Boyds field. I mean where we would go down and learn how to play and scrimmage. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. This was beat into our heads and in my mind and in many other players there greatest moments came sweating down in the hole and busting heads down there so it was always a little easier up on the big field. Thank you again OLD PIRATE.

well I dont know about the OLD PIRATE but my alltime favorite game was in 1969 when Jasper had Eddie Brown that went on to become a pro-bowl retuner in the NFL and THE PIRATES had the Legion (JIMMY WIGFALL).I was a freshman that year and the hype for this game was unlike any other I ever have been associated with.Now SP went on to win the game and take the State 1A trophy in the 1st year the state split schools up.it was Don Griders 1st year at the helm running the single wing that Phil Beene had ran so many years before him.Wigfall was a man among boys on the football field he would hit you.at sweetwater they brought a firetruck 2 wet down the field before Sp played them 2 slow Wigfalls speed down but it backfired.those were the teams 2 me the teams of the late 60's..I am like OLD PIRATE I would like to see if anyone remembers any details in the SP VS Jasper game in 69

That Wigfall boy was a real fast runner. He told me he used to run with ankle weights to make him real fast for Friday night. Wigfall would have definately been listed in my book if my book was published. Let me ask you a question 46on2. Did you used to be one of those big ole strong boys that would knock a hole in that line for Wigfall to run through? He used to have some big holes to run through. You think im joking but im not.

One of the best South Pittsburg games I ever remember actually resulted in a loss. The 1986 Clinic Bowl was against Spring Hill and the "PHENOM" Orlando Wade at tailback. I believe he went on to play at Mississippi State University. South Pittsburg and Spring Hill battled back and forth on that cool afternoon at Vanderbilt University. South Pittsburg ultimately lost 21-20 on a blown call on the two point conversion attempt. The running back clearly crossed the plain of the endzone. The two point conversion would have won the game for the Pirates and given them their second state championship. BUT, the ref BLEW the call and the rest is history.

Some of the best games I remember South Pittsburg having were games where I graced South Pittsburg with my presence. It's not everyday that you get the opportunity to interact with a Living Legend like myself. 46on2, Old Pirate, TheAmbassador, Zonepirate,Mr. Legit, Pirate Mike, Geno, Roy Dillard and others are not Living Legends. I am the only true Living Legend that patrols these boards. This Roy Dillard thinks everyone cares about his book, but they don't. Everyone should spend time reading about a true Living Legend like myself instead of Roy's precious book. Another thing, Living Legends DO NOT drink red bull drinks. Living Legends drink water, powerade and gatorade. Another thing Roy, you need to tell your "buddy" he should dedicate an entire page of his book in honor of me since I am the Sequatchie Valley's most recognized Living Legend. He would sell more copies of his book if he would include The Great One in the reading because more people would buy it.

One of the best South Pittsburg games I ever remember actually resulted in a loss. The 1986 Clinic Bowl was against Spring Hill and the "PHENOM" Orlando Wade at tailback. I believe he went on to play at Mississippi State University. South Pittsburg and Spring Hill battled back and forth on that cool afternoon at Vanderbilt University. South Pittsburg ultimately lost 21-20 on a blown call on the two point conversion attempt. The running back clearly crossed the plain of the endzone. The two point conversion would have won the game for the Pirates and given them their second state championship. BUT, the ref BLEW the call and the rest is history.

There were 2 blown calls in that game. One in the 1st half that let there wide out line up more than 15 yards off the ball. He blended in with the S.H. sideline and got way down field on the defense. There is a letter from Carter apologizing to the team for those 2 blown calls that resulted in 9 points.

Wade was being scouted that game by Johnny Majors. Majors took a pass on old "Papa" Wade because he was running for the side line in the second half to elude several Pirate defenders including all-state linebacker/fullback David Wyatt.

Edited by rlh

Some of the best games I remember South Pittsburg having were games where I graced South Pittsburg with my presence. It's not everyday that you get the opportunity to interact with a Living Legend like myself. 46on2, Old Pirate, TheAmbassador, Zonepirate,Mr. Legit, Pirate Mike, Geno, Roy Dillard and others are not Living Legends. I am the only true Living Legend that patrols these boards. This Roy Dillard thinks everyone cares about his book, but they don't. Everyone should spend time reading about a true Living Legend like myself instead of Roy's precious book. Another thing, Living Legends DO NOT drink red bull drinks. Living Legends drink water, powerade and gatorade. Another thing Roy, you need to tell your "buddy" he should dedicate an entire page of his book in honor of me since I am the Sequatchie Valley's most recognized Living Legend. He would sell more copies of his book if he would include The Great One in the reading because more people would buy it.

I hope your name is Jimmy Wigfall.Its not i know because he would not brag about himself as you are attempting to do.Living Legend??????? Jimmy is the only living legend from this town...now you may be from pigtown up the road there.Or jasper as some call it cause everybody knows that people from there are full of themselves and another substance that we from the right end of the valley have watched them fall in for years now....

46on2 you are talking about a city legend in Jim Wigfall. Everyone knows the biggest Living Legend of the Sequatchie Valley. I will be at three S.P. regular season games this season as well as the annual valley jamboree. Maybe you will be lucky enough for me to grace you with my presence. Do you consider yourself a living legend? Were you a skill position player on the great pirate teams? Maybe you are Jim Wigfall himself. Naturally when this thread starting talking about some of the great games, it caught The Great One's attention.

First of all Jimmy wigfall would never bragg on himself. he is a fine man i tell you that.. I hear he may be running for mayor though.. just a rumor for now. in that 86 game where the Ref blew the call a phone call was made to Grider apolagizing for that botched call..

This Roy Dillard thinks everyone cares about his book, but they don't. Everyone should spend time reading about a true Living Legend like myself instead of Roy's precious book. Another thing, Living Legends DO NOT drink red bull drinks. Living Legends drink water, powerade and gatorade. Another thing Roy, you need to tell your "buddy" he should dedicate an entire page of his book in honor of me since I am the Sequatchie Valley's most recognized Living Legend. He would sell more copies of his book if he would include The Great One in the reading because more people would buy it.

:arrow::wacko: