Best SP game ever

OLD PIRATE

I was looking back through some of my Murphy Fair books trying to find some of the best games i had ever seen. I garuntee you their has been some good ones. Today was the first day to practice and I was reading that Hargis boy column in the online paper. I rode by that practice field this morning and our team wasn't anywhere to be seen. Why didn't he have those boys practicing this morning? I garuntee you every other team in the state was working hard. You think im joking cause im not.

The 08 game at the SP Speedway was a game that TC would have had a difficult time ever winning against a more talented Pirate team.

:roflol: What is even greater about our rivalry is the fact that neither team has been able to win two in a row against each other. :thumb: I stand corrected. Yall beat us in 99 and again in 07. I'm so stuuuuupid!!!! :roflolk: Old Pirate, all our games together have been instant classics. Always hated losin to yall but we always knew that we had lost to the eventual state champs. I'm sure yall felt the same way. Edited by TCstinger

I believe randy kirkpatrick was that qb in 84. anyway. The best game ive ever seen and ill need a little help it was in the 90's and i believe it was cloudland. They had a bluechip QB with the best arm ive ever seen. he threw it on the run for 65 yards against us and lit us up for a unexpected 35 points in the first half. The begining play of the 3rd i believe we broke his arm and we came back to win a 36-35 barn burner. if he stayed in the game they would have killed us

I believe randy kirkpatrick was that qb in 84. anyway. The best game ive ever seen and ill need a little help it was in the 90's and i believe it was cloudland. They had a bluechip QB with the best arm ive ever seen. he threw it on the run for 65 yards against us and lit us up for a unexpected 35 points in the first half. The begining play of the 3rd i believe we broke his arm and we came back to win a 36-35 barn burner. if he stayed in the game they would have killed us

I thought Kirkpatrick graduated in Spring '84. However, the game you describe sounds like the 1989 playoff game against Midway, and the QB was Lance Wheaton. I agree that he was the best QB that I've ever seen play in a high school game. He hit about 3 bombs on us early. His dad was the coach and liked the run and shoot style. That's what got them in trouble. Dave Baxter figured it out and they sacked him hard a couple of times and his shoulder bone fractured. The 2nd QB lasted a couple of plays and the 3rd QB played the second half with a broke nose and a box of cotton up it. The Pirates came back from something like a 22-0 deficit to tie it and eventually win in OT. The irony in that game is they had an all-state tail back but the coach never used him when they had the big lead.

Wheaton was recruited by Johnny Majors but he never took a snap in a game a QB was all-American as place holder. I saw him in a couple of orange & white games and he lit Shuler's & Manning's teams up like he did the Pirates.

I thought Kirkpatrick graduated in Spring '84. However, the game you describe sounds like the 1989 playoff game against Midway, and the QB was Lance Wheaton. I agree that he was the best QB that I've ever seen play in a high school game. He hit about 3 bombs on us early. His dad was the coach and liked the run and shoot style. That's what got them in trouble. Dave Baxter figured it out and they sacked him hard a couple of times and his shoulder bone fractured. The 2nd QB lasted a couple of plays and the 3rd QB played the second half with a broke nose and a box of cotton up it. The Pirates came back from something like a 22-0 deficit to tie it and eventually win in OT. The irony in that game is they had an all-state tail back but the coach never used him when they had the big lead.

Wheaton was recruited by Johnny Majors but he never took a snap in a game a QB was all-American as place holder. I saw him in a couple of orange & white games and he lit Shuler's & Manning's teams up like he did the Pirates.

Kirkpatrick did graduate in the spring of 1984. Yes, the 1989 first round game was a classic. I still have it on VHS and watch it when I get the opportunity. I do believe that Wheaton got in for one play against Vandy in his senior season. If Wheaton had not got hurt against SP in that playoff game not only would the outcome of that game been a lot different but his career would have been different too. I still remember sitting in the stands during the first part of that game almost sick because I was thinking of how bad we could have gotten beat.

You throw a dig and apology in the same sentence? You sound like you went to Jasper or worse, Whi-wuhl. For the record, I earned my stripes as a Pirate under Brooks. The last time I looked, the Diploma I have from SPHS is the most important thing.

The diploma I have says South Pittsburg High School also and happen to have a picture hanging in the gym. Do you know what that means or not. I also got 4 stripes under Brooks in Baseball.

Edited by MrLegit

Uncle Dave forgot all about that game until it was mentioned. That was the year that Oneida put the Pirates out of the playoffs and ended up winning the State championship....what might have been! SP had talent that year and in my opinion did not play well against Oneida that night. Not saying they would have won, but it was not their best game. You got to show up for each game in the playoffs or you will be turning in those pads early.

The diploma I have says South Pittsburg High School also and happen to have a picture hanging in the gym. Do you know what that means or not. I also got 4 stripes under Brooks in Baseball.

I pay Coach and Mrs. B a visit every time I'm in town which isn't as often as I would like. Yes I know what it means. I held his clipboard for 4 years. That was good enough for me, and I got 3 stripes out of it and a Jacket with a District 6A Champions patch.

Edit: What I don't understand is why you have them bunched up towards me. I went to a lot of basketball and football games from '77 to '89 and a few since then. Every thing I have brought up in this thread is from memory.

Edited by rlh

Uncle Dave forgot all about that game until it was mentioned. That was the year that Oneida put the Pirates out of the playoffs and ended up winning the State championship....what might have been! SP had talent that year and in my opinion did not play well against Oneida that night. Not saying they would have won, but it was not their best game. You got to show up for each game in the playoffs or you will be turning in those pads early.

They could have played better against Oneida. But Destin Hutcherson, The Worm (our center) played a heck of a season but the guy weighed something like 135 pounds and the guys at Oneida were big, strong and quick on the line. He was about 5 pounds heavier than me when I graduated! That was the only game he struggled in.

I pay Coach and Mrs. B a visit every time I'm in town which isn't as often as I would like. Yes I know what it means. I held his clipboard for 4 years. That was good enough for me, and I got 3 stripes out of it and a Jacket with a District 6A Champions patch.

Edit: What I don't understand is why you have them bunched up towards me. I went to a lot of basketball and football games from '77 to '89 and a few since then. Every thing I have brought up in this thread is from memory.

Crongrats and I mean it. Coach Brooks doesn't just give things away. You do have to earn them.

Pirates Forever