Best SP game ever

OLD PIRATE

The point i was making is that Chris did not throw the bomb that beat Stevenson in whatever season you want to call it.

I was going by the official season as per TSSAA records. '84-85 would be the basketball season. I couldn't keep track of all the bombs Ferrel threw in '85, '86 and '87 so lighten up Francis.

Edited by rlh

Saw that team and you are right they were awesome. Totally dominate. It would be great to see how they would match up. From what I saw it would not be ideal for UC. Still interesting though. I was also there when you guys beat Lake County . That also was a great team. yall have a rich traditon plenty to be proud of for sure. Not sure exactly how far we will go this season. But we could make a run in the next couple of years.Good Luck hope to see ya down the road.

Old Pirate says if BS :roflol: should make it to the SP Speedway sometime hit some of them Pirate boosters up for 1 of them fine looking pirate hats. Thata way you can look like a real Pirate fan.... :roflol: That 94 team was a great team for sure that played LC, plenty of youngons that loved to earhole folkes.

OP ain't so sure how this SP squad will compare but are young and talented.

Edited by OLD PIRATE

Old Pirate says if BS :roflol: should make it to the SP Speedway sometime hit some of them Pirate boosters up for 1 of them fine looking pirate hats. Thata way you can look like a real Pirate fan.... :roflol: That 94 team was a great team for sure that played LC, plenty of youngons that loved to earhole folkes.

OP ain't so sure how this SP squad will compare but are young and talented.

I'm Gonna Come To One Of Them Games....This Year And Get Me A Pirate Hat!.

I know for a fact that Chris Ferrel didn't play them in '86 or '87. It was his sophomore season he threw the bomb down there at the end on a 4th & 30 to beat them in Stevenson. They refused to come up for the last game ever in the series and canceled before the season. North Jackson's first season was in 1988. Ironically, while good, NJ has never been the powerhouse Stevenson was and should be a lesson for those in Marion County that are constantly babbling about merging the 3 schools. That includes academics and athletics.

Yes, we played Stevenson in 1986. SP lost that game in OT 14-7. We did break the losing streak against Stevenson in 1984. Then, we beat them in 1985 on homecoming and that was the game that Sisco reversed field and outran the whole Stevenson team to the goalline. We played Stevenson for the last time in 1986. We did play Bridgeport in 1987 and won 13-7 in a very lackluster game. SP was a lot better than Bridgeport that year but didn't play very good against the tigers and squeaked a 6 point win.

Edited by svcfan

Dad burnit rlh, Old Pirate is right proud you for this post. OP was thinking the same thing and you put it there plain and simple. OP never thought the 09 team was near one of the best SP teams. Fact is.....most likely not in the "Top Ten"

That said figure both the 80 runner's up were better and the 76 runner up would be a great game. The 09 game was a good game with a less talented team winning gambling on ball control.Hats off to them for that.

OP is still watching to see if many old heads can add some input.

I agree. I tried to tell everyone last year (after watching the MC game) that the '09 team didn't have the talent of the '08 team. Some didn't want to believe it.

I'm with the Sailor...anytime, besides '07, that we hook up it's going to be the game of the year in our class. '93 '94 '98 '99 '08 = instant classics with a lot of talent on the field!

Yes, we played Stevenson in 1986. SP lost that game in OT 14-7. We did break the losing streak against Stevenson in 1984. Then, we beat them in 1985 on homecoming and that was the game that Sisco reversed field and outran the whole Stevenson team to the goalline. We played Stevenson for the last time in 1986. We did play Bridgeport in 1987 and won 13-7 in a very lackluster game. SP was a lot better than Bridgeport that year but didn't play very good against the tigers and squeaked a 6 point win.

What was the score of the Sequatchie County game and Whitwell game and regular season record in '86?

The point i was making is that Chris did not throw the bomb that beat Stevenson in whatever season you want to call it.

I would lighten up if I thought you ever put on the pads and actually played any football for the Pirates. But seeing that we are on the same side I am willing to apoligize or however you spell it. Pirates forever

I would lighten up if I thought you ever put on the pads and actually played any football for the Pirates. But seeing that we are on the same side I am willing to apoligize or however you spell it. Pirates forever

You throw a dig and apology in the same sentence? You sound like you went to Jasper or worse, Whi-wuhl. For the record, I earned my stripes as a Pirate under Brooks. The last time I looked, the Diploma I have from SPHS is the most important thing.

What was the score of the Sequatchie County game and Whitwell game and regular season record in '86?

We lost 13-12 against Sequatchie. Whitwell beat us 10-7 in OT. That game Ferrell got hurt and didn't return until playoffs. If I am not mistaken our record was 11-4 counting the championship game. The regular season record was 6-3.

Edited by svcfan
  • Upvote 1

We lost 13-12 against Sequatchie. Whitwell beat us 10-7 in OT. That game Ferrell got hurt and didn't return until playoffs. If I am not mistaken our record was 11-4 counting the championship game.

At Sequatchie we couldn't shut the triple-option down. I remember their backs kept jumping over the middle and staying on their feet and picking up the first down. The were running more of full back leap. That was the 1st time Whitwell ever won at Beene stadium. Kenemore looked pretty good taking over in that game. I knew the scores were tight and the wrong direction.

I agree. I tried to tell everyone last year (after watching the MC game) that the '09 team didn't have the talent of the '08 team. Some didn't want to believe it.

I'm with the Sailor...anytime, besides '07, that we hook up it's going to be the game of the year in our class. '93 '94 '98 '99 '08 = instant classics with a lot of talent on the field!

Old Pirate says the games you mentioned where about as good as they git. The 4 games in the 90s were classics.

1.The 93 game played at SP was a tight game with the TCs RB running a long TD while a fellow teammate clipped(not called- :roflol: ) P. Hutchins the last man.

2. The 94 game at the Jacket Nest resulted in a hard fought game won by a Pirate team set on revenge from the season ending loss in 93.

3.The 98 game....Dad burnit, recon many old pirates are still bothered by this game. Jest really not sure to put the blame so recon the best is too say the QB had a "S" under that jersey. The Pirates played hard against a very fine TC team. The Pirates eventually victomized by missed xtra points and missed tackles by some key players.

4. The 99 game....Pirates again seeking revenge for the season ending loss in 98 beat the Jackets before dismantling a Moore County team in Nashville.

These 4 games would have to go into "The Top Ten Alltime Games" in OP's skillet head opinion. Obviously 4 of the 7 best games in the 90s. The other contenders were the 94 SP & Jasper- Jasper winning with Westmoreland interception , the 99 BB game in the swamp with the Pirates interception deep in Pirate territory and driving the length of the field for the win, and the 99 Courtland Ala game against the ALA 99 State 1A champs at the SP Speedway.

The 08 game at the SP Speedway was a game that TC would have had a difficult time ever winning against a more talented Pirate team.

Edited by OLD PIRATE