How bout them Rebels?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are the Obion County Central Rebels going to be this year? I am pumped to see how they do this season?

They will compete for a playoff spot...This team isn't bad at all....Offense is really exciting to watch....If a team thinks this is an easy win, they will be going home with a loss....

They scrimmage Henry Co. August 5th and play Tipton Rosemark at the Covington Jamboree....They open the season Saturday August 21st at Rebel Field vs Fulton Co. (KY)

I'm going to predict 6-4 or 7-3....Looking forward to the Henry County scrimmage Aug 5th...I couldn't tell a whole lot by the competition that they played in the spring...The new defensive coordinator is in place now and will have his scheme implemented by then..There were several key defensive players that were held out of spring work due to injuries or other things...

The offense will score points...They have some talented skill position players with speed...Remember the name LaDevin Fair...He is a transfer running back from Fulton County High School in Kentucky..He is going to be something special...It will be very tough to replace the numbers put up by all-everything Patrick Haskins but the Rebels are hoping they can counter that loss with results by committee...They will have numerous options to go to this fall...

Good schedule...Have sort of a rent-a-win game to open the season...They play Fulton County on a Saturday night...Sikeston, Missouri opens their season the next Friday in Troy..The 4A Bulldogs recorded their best season ever last year by advancing all the way to the Missouri state semi-finals..They were 13-1 on the season...Crockett County will provide the Rebels with their first district action the next week..This will be a huge, huge game for the Rebels..It will also close out a season opening 3 game homestand before OC heads out on the road for 4 straight (with an open date included as well)...The first road game will be against a team in Cape Central, Missouri that was left with a little something to remember the Rebs by last season in Troy..OC scored a last play, fake punt touchdown in a 43-25 win...By everything I have read on SE Missouri fan sites, this team that ended 0-10 last season is vastly improved and could very well contend for the district title...They are a 4A school in the same district as Sikeston...This game will be played on Saturday (game time so far unannounced)at the home of OVC member, the SEMO Indians or Red Hawks or whatever politically correct name their administration cowered down to..The defending 1A state champion Tornadoes from Union City await the Rebs the following week..The renewal of this annual county clash is always good for some fireworks the week leading up to and the day of the game..OC has an open date the next week before two huge district road games pop up on the schedule...OC first travels to Covington then Dyersburg with these two games probably sealing the Rebels playoff fate..Although the Rebs defeated both these teams in Troy last season, neither of these two stadiums have been kind to the Rebels..To be honest, I don't ever remember an Obion Central team winning at either place...Could have happened, just don't remember it...OC FINALLY returns home the next week after 5 straight weeks away from home..Their prize ??..The always tough Martin Westview Chargers, who handed the Rebs a pretty convincing loss after OC held a slim 8-7 halftime lead last season at UTM...Another road game the next week against Gibson County before returning home for a Thursday night district game with the Ripley Tigers...The last two teams on the schedule were victims of the 6 win Rebs last season...

Coach Shawn Jackson has really fired up the faithful and the boosters have really stepped up emptied their pockets during fund raisers so far this summer..The Rebel football team has actually been treated better than the red-headed step child they have been accustomed to in the past...You will see a new gigantic football helmet-tunnel the players will run through, new NIKE uniforms and other things a real football program has...

Someone like redbirdfan or VOREBS will have to give you all a complete player rundown as they see all the games, or most of anyway, that the Rebels play...

Well that is good to hear. I went to the Lake County scrimmage. The Quaterback looked like a passing quaterback. Had good accuracy and pretty good arm strength. I am ready to see the pass happy offense that Coach Jackson is so known for. With Haskins gone, I belive the passing game will be implemented much more and respected by opponents this year. With defenses having to honor our pass attack, I believe Fair will have a chance to bust open for some big plays. It's great to have a good running back in the spread offense. I hope our defense has enough time to get it together. Coach Jackson is doing great things for the program, and I hope it all pays off this season. Good Luck Guys!

Well that is good to hear. I went to the Lake County scrimmage. The Quaterback looked like a passing quaterback. Had good accuracy and pretty good arm strength. I am ready to see the pass happy offense that Coach Jackson is so known for. With Haskins gone, I belive the passing game will be implemented much more and respected by opponents this year. With defenses having to honor our pass attack, I believe Fair will have a chance to bust open for some big plays. It's great to have a good running back in the spread offense. I hope our defense has enough time to get it together. Coach Jackson is doing great things for the program, and I hope it all pays off this season. Good Luck Guys!

I didn't put much stock at all in the LC scrimmage...Coach Jackson was starting the 2nd unit offensively and defensively the first two or three plays of each drive...Trey Phipps never was able to get into any sort of flow...The defense was without 4 maybe 5 starters and was without the new coordinator...When the first unit was in on offense they did pretty much what they wanted...Really looking forward to the HC scrimmage..The Patriots will be a very strong opponent...Probably the best team the Rebs face all year...

Good Luck to the Rebel Mighty this year. I plan to attend a few games myself when U C is not in town.

The for the Rebels to me is accually have a possible running game to mix with the passing. They have the program headed in the right direction and everyone across the county is glad to see.

To me, and I do not know that much about foorball, but it is far more important be be able to run the ball more so than pass. Union City showed everyone that last year. If fair is the deal, good things will happen.

The Rebels have a tough schedule after the Fulton Co. game. 7 - is not out of the question and if the running game can over shadow what passing game the Rebels may have, good things will happen after the regular season.

Good Luck to the Rebel Mighty this year. I plan to attend a few games myself when U C is not in town.

The for the Rebels to me is accually have a possible running game to mix with the passing. They have the program headed in the right direction and everyone across the county is glad to see.

To me, and I do not know that much about foorball, but it is far more important be be able to run the ball more so than pass. Union City showed everyone that last year. If fair is the deal, good things will happen.

The Rebels have a tough schedule after the Fulton Co. game. 7 - is not out of the question and if the running game can over shadow what passing game the Rebels may have, good things will happen after the regular season.

I'd like to see more of a balance...

You can't argue with a state championship, and I won't, but imagine what kind of an offense UC would have had last year with even a junior high level passing game (was it 15 completions last year or 15 attempts ??)...14-0 would have been the record with zero close games....1997 and 2000 at Union City proved you need balance in your attack at a state championship game level...

The Rebels are going to pass..No doubt about it...They have an above average QB and some very good receivers...Fair should have a big season running the ball and catching balls out of the backfield...Biggest question will be the O-Line..I believe they lost all their starters from a year ago..Maybe 1 returner..The guys they have are good size and strong though...

Why is running the ball more important that passing in a league where everyone runs and no one throws? Teams can't defend the pass and you'll see as OC rolls over people this year throwing the ball. Don't worry they'll do plenty of running too.

And maybe you can run exclusively in 1a football, but I've never seen a real team win exclusively with the run but I have with the pass ala Texas Tech.

Why is running the ball more important that passing in a league where everyone runs and no one throws? Teams can't defend the pass and you'll see as OC rolls over people this year throwing the ball. Don't worry they'll do plenty of running too.

And maybe you can run exclusively in 1a football, but I've never seen a real team win exclusively with the run but I have with the pass ala Texas Tech.

Any good Coach will adjust to the talent he has from year to year. One year they may rely on the pass the next year the run game.Good coaches implement a system ( his preferred style ) the players are taught becoming accustomed to yearly that evolves in winning seasons.

A running game is important in late game situations when you need to run the clock...If you are not physical enough to get three or first downs in a row late in the game you are going to have problems...

I like their passing game...It is hard to defend it..Most teams do have a run oriented attack and that's what they practice against all year..Who that OC plays is a spread type offense ??..I can't think of any...I think OC will have a big advantage there and will pass alot...You are right though...They will run the ball...I hear that Fair broke off a 80 yd run on the first play of the intrasquad scrimmage on Friday...

Really looking forward to the Henry County scrimmage...The guys will finally get to see some very good competition...It will be good to see where they stack up against a very good big school...

Don't know how old you are but you might want to take a look back at those old Nebraska and Oklahoma teams..They ran the ball ALL the time...They did pretty good for themselves...

I'm a run first guy don't take me wrong. Ball control and controlling the tempo of the game are very important.On the flip side though the tempo of a no huddle spread offense dictates the game in a similar fashion because pushing the tempo exhausts a defense.(think run and gun basketball) If you watch closely early in the year many teams facing OC will struggle with cramps.(usually D-lineman) in an a division where each school is generally not going to have a stable of huge kids the drop off between starting dl and their backups is a big deal. Also it dictates other teams play calling if you can score quickly. You put up 20 or so points early in the game on a ball control offense what do they do? Their tempo then works against them. I agree Offensive balance is a defensive coordinators nightmare. Passing the ball is just a great equalizer for opposing teams at this level to have to prepare for if you can do it well. Also unless your a good deal more talented than your opposition the ability to throw the ball is essential to winning a championship because at some point you will have to deal with negative plays to convert third downs which one dimensional running teams struggle with if you have a a negative play on first or second down in the double wing running sally counter only carries you so far. To win championships at some point you have to win from behind.

I'm not sure which Nebraska teams you are talking about but I do know that they really started to succeed offensively when Tom Osbourne implemented a balanced I and continued then later with an option attack based focus. But who doesn't love the option attack when you can consistently recruit a Tommie Frazier or Turner Gill.

Anyways I am excited to see OC and Henry Co get after it. I heard Henry co and Milan tied 3-3 in a scrimmage.