How bout them Rebels?

I think if you have the athletes to run the ball, and the big lineman to block for them, run the heck out of it. Manage the clock, and hopefully your defense is good enough to get a few stops. If you have a good quaterback, and a good receiving core air it out. Obion Central is not going to have a scatback that runs a 4'3, it is just not in the cards for us. Back in the day under Coach Shanks when we ran the ball 85% of the time we averaged about 5 wins a year. I think we have found out from previous years that a spread offense is best for Central. It spreads out the defense, and with four or five options to throw to there more than likely is always going to be someone open, and if not we will always have one tailback to check down to. You don't see many teams that run the ball, or pass the ball the whole time and win state championships. If the spread goes as planned, then it will open up the run game tremendously. Very seldom, if ever, is Obion Central going to be the fastest team on the field on game night. When you have receivers though that run precise routes, and a quaterback that can make good quick reads they will eat up a defense no matter how fast they are. The thing about a receiver is they know where they are gonna cut, the men covering them do not. Defenses in high school aren't near as good covering as they are in college, and like someone said not very many high schools around there run a spread or know how to defend it. Central is not gonna out athlete to many teams, but they can outsmart and outplay them. I look for it to be about 75% pass 25% run. I could be completely off, but this quaterback does not have the legs of haskins so I don't see him running out of the pocket for 60 yards when he has an opening. I think Fair will run the ball some, but I think he will be catching more screens than he will be running the ball. If it was not for Fair moving in I would say it would be more 85 to 90% passing, but if you have the talent to run the ball you have to implement it in your game plan. I am ready to see them in action.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are not many teams around here (if any) that has the good fortune to have a running-back with 4.3 speed....Fair is in the 4.6-4.8 range from what I hear and he is not the fastest on the team...He gets in the open, he will more than likely not be caught from behind....Trey is not in the same league as a runner as Haskins was but Haskins isn't near the passer Trey is...Trey has at least 4, maybe 5 solid receivers with soft hands AND they can get YAC yards....I think OC will use the pass to set up the run where usually it's the other way around....OC won't be a grind it out team...That's not what they are set up to be...They will rarely even have two running backs in the backfield...If their line can hold off the rush long enough for Phipps to pick his receivers, OC may break school records passing...That's saying alot with what they did in the Chris Hill days....

OC will not have very many go both ways this year...There are maybe 3 or 4 that will and they are going to give offensive starters breaks...When you run that fast break style on a high school defense that has kids going both ways, well you have a distinct advantage....People around the district think just because OC lost Haskins they are done...They will be more diverse on offense and that's always a good thing...

Good Luck To The Rebels Today As They Head Down To Paris To Face The Henry County Patriots......

Should be a stern challenge and a much needed one heading into the season....

After reading this thread I am more excited than I already was to watch this scrimmage. Who else should I look for on OC besides the RB & QB? As far as Henry Co. goes we have a few good QBs & RBs battling for playing time plus a real good TE and a preseason all state Tackle. On D the line looks nice so far along with the linebackers. In the secondary we have a couple of new players and a preseason all state DB.

Anyone have any info on how the scrimmage went?

This is second hand but it's from my oldest son who went to the scrimmage...i haven't even spoken to my youngest son who is on the team...I worked nights this week and was gone long before he got home...

As I was talking to my son on the phone the score at the time (he thought because he got there about 20 mins late) was HC 1 TD to OC's 0...OC was marching at the time and had scored on a short TD run by Fair...My son said that Fair had already had some good runs...The Rebels had completed a 4th and 10 pass to keep the drive alive...OC kicked the PAT...I hung up with him and told him I'd call back in about an hour...He called me back and said that both teams had put in their back-ups and the score was HC 3TD's to OC's 1 TD...He said that OC had two drives stall out inside the Patriot 20...He said that the HC JV had scored two easy TD's on the Rebels JV..It was 5 TD's to 1 when he left....He said that OC held their own with HC, which was good to hear...He said they needed to work on their red zone offense..He said HC had a very good QB and a very good RB...He said that Fair had a big game and from reading the HC posts, he was right...He didn't mention any turnovers or dropped passes for the Rebels or whether or not HC had any drives cut short by turnovers either...

I hate that I missed the scrimmage..I was looking forward to going before it was moved to Paris...One of the posters from HC said there was a good crowd for both teams....

This was exactly what the Rebels needed...A very good team to give them some real big-boy competition....I'm sure coach Jackson has plenty to use as teaching tools over the next two weeks before the season opener on the 21st...We'll get a dress rehersal next Friday night in Covington when OC plays the spread attack of Tipton Rosemark Acd in the Jamboree...

• 2 weeks later...

The Rebels win big in the "Rent-A-Win" against the Fulton County Pilots. Should be a cake walk with lots of ice cream. Almost like playing a junior high school to b honest.

It could be worse...It could be Fulton City....

When OC scheduled this game the Rebels had lost 20 in a row...I think you can see why it was scheduled...

It'll be a good game to get the jitters out...Next week Sikeston will bring a heckuva team into Troy..As ole J.R. always says, "Bizness is about to pick up round here !!"

BTW...I hope there is plenty-o-ice cream..It's suppose to be HOT tomorrow...