Dobyns Bennett vs Farragut

BatmanDB

I am at work but I was at the game. My prediction was DB 35 - Farragut 7 on another thread long ago. Here's what I thought. I know you don't want to hear it but that's why I'm gonna' tell you.

1. Seabolt keeps the ball way too much. He needs to depend more on his staff. But he has guts. I like how he knows he can lead Steele by 15 yards and he will run to the ball.

2. Chris is a totally different RB than he has been in the past. I was impressed. He has honed his skills and added new techniques. Of course his power is still there.

3. Most who have not seen Canon's ability are still not convinced of this backfields potential. It will double.

4. Swafford gets in space he is gone. Need to get him in space.

5. Steele is a definate deep threat. GC should spend added time on the Seabolt/Steele deep route.

The nature of this offense somewhat disallows the QB to see the field well. When the QB passes he knows who it's going to. Meanwhile the middle was wide open all night. I am thinking TE. I guess GC is so giddy with all his new toys that he didn't know what to play with first. DB came out flat but not for long. I sat on the visitor side. It was mostly Big 8 people. The first open seat I found was beside an '83 DB grad who is now a Farragut cheerleader/baseball player Dad. Just before the interception, Farragut was beat. They were dragging. Heads down, walking, shirt tails out... DB scores here and the slaughter rule takes affect shortly after. I feel bad for their star TB. His knee did not look good. All in all the team played great. I thought GC had a couple of duh moments but he got over it. I'm sure after three or four weeks the machine will be well oiled. DB kicker had a nice evening.

I did not think Farragut was a championship calibre' team. They were very good. But not on DB's level this year. They kept giving the ball to the wrong player.

Anyway, congratulations on a big win and I hope this kickstarts your season.

I totally agree Comp. This is a talented DB team with room to grow. It’s going to be hard for any team in the Big 8 to match up pound for pound with what they could bring to the table this year. BUT… this ship could sink or swim depending on if Seabolt is willing to play 3rd or maybe even 4th fiddle. On several occasions he kept the ball on option plays when he should have given it up… and I don’t think those were bad reads, just him wanting his share of the spotlight. The new talent in that backfield along with an improved CS will be a tough pill for any opponent to have to defend IF Seabolt (as Comp said) depends on his staff. I don’t know the kids names but #8 is the real deal and I would expect him to get more touches as this season unfolds. He's the closes thing I’ve seen to the kid from Science Hill (Solomon) a few years ago. This kid is going to be exciting to watch in the future. And #1 should be THE return man for the Indians… but his potential will be hampered only by the coaches obvious lack of trust in Seabolts arm. I don’t think DB attempted more than 3 or 4 passes. That's Unbelievable considering their potential. I think the line play was pretty good on both sides of the ball. Farragut was no slouch when it came to talent and size… but they were severally hampered by coaching. It pains me to say this but DB is EASLY the team to beat this year. Of course this comes without seeing any of the other teams in action this year. But I couldn’t imagine any other school being able to put up a comparable cast of players this year. With that being said… Clark will have to step his game up because there are at least three Big 8 coaches that will no doubt bring a much more challenging game plan than you saw from the KNOXVILLE staff! If DB doesn’t walk into the post season undefeated it won’t be because they don’t have the team!!!!

I'll try and keep this civil Cap. I believe Clark was just keeping it close to the vest as much as he could last night. First night jitters, new offense, wet field, and a very strong Farragut team. I think he was smart to keep the ball in his seniors hands as much as possible. Clark has already informed us their will be very little passing this year. And last night he didn't have to pass at all, getting 7-15 yrds. a carry. There will be no problems between Seabolt and the rest. And your wrong about the Farragut coaching staff. Thats a big time school, their better than any staff in upper east tn. with the exception of DB.

• Upvote 1

I'll try and keep this civil Cap. I believe Clark was just keeping it close to the vest as much as he could last night. First night jitters, new offense, wet field, and a very strong Farragut team. I think he was smart to keep the ball in his seniors hands as much as possible. Clark has already informed us their will be very little passing this year. And last night he didn't have to pass at all, getting 7-15 yrds. a carry. There will be no problems between Seabolt and the rest. And your wrong about the Farragut coaching staff. Thats a big time school, their better than any staff in upper east tn. with the exception of DB.

I agree with everything but the coaching comment. I know Clark just did enough to give a good show for the crowd. To me this game would have been just the opportunity to give Seabolt a little confidence in his passing game... something you're going to need later in the season. I know he still has some trick up his sleeve. It would be a tragedy if he didn't with #1, #13, and Steel out there. Seabolt is a good athlete and has what it takes to be a great QB if the coaching staff would work on his weaknesses instead of trying to ignore them. This crap about "holding your cards" is trickery, and only states that you aren't confident with your game plan. As for Farragut... you have your opinion and I have mine. I say the lack of coaching was obvious. It's obvious that staff totally relies on their talent base to win games. Farragut had the size and the athletes to play with DB but because of the lack of coaching they were NEVER in this game. Case and point... number 14 was the best athlete on the field last night... but a lesser experienced eye wouldn't have been able to see that because he only touch the ball two or three times outside of the INT. And had he not caught cramps on the INT, he would have taken that one to the house!! Anyway... tell me why they didn't give him more opportunities to make a play?? It's not because they aren't aware of his talent because he was all the fans on the Farragut side was talking about. They had MANY opportunities to get in this game but the play calling was atrocious... especially in the red zone.

Edited by Cap1

And your wrong about the Farragut coaching staff. Thats a big time school, their better than any staff in upper east tn. with the exception of DB.

Living in the Knoxville area, I can tell you that alot of Farragut fans don't think that much of their staff - especially their offensive coordinator. Too devoted to the pass. Had M'ville beat last year, but just had to keep throwing the ball. Ended up out coaching themselves.

The have been blessed with some nice talent as of late, but I don't know many around here that are bragging about their coaching staff.

Living in the Knoxville area, I can tell you that alot of Farragut fans don't think that much of their staff - especially their offensive coordinator. Too devoted to the pass. Had M'ville beat last year, but just had to keep throwing the ball. Ended up out coaching themselves.

The have been blessed with some nice talent as of late, but I don't know many around here that are bragging about their coaching staff.

I didn't say they didn't make mistakes at Farragut. My statement was that the Farragut staff is better than any staff in upper east tn., outside of Dobyns Bennett. You guys don't really think a staff from up here could of took that team and done any better against DB last night? I mean Stacy Carter is supposed to be the man up here. Do I need to mention last year? Still being civil here. :)

I am at work but I was at the game. My prediction was DB 35 - Farragut 7 on another thread long ago. Here's what I thought. I know you don't want to hear it but that's why I'm gonna' tell you.

1. Seabolt keeps the ball way too much. He needs to depend more on his staff. But he has guts. I like how he knows he can lead Steele by 15 yards and he will run to the ball.

2. Chris is a totally different RB than he has been in the past. I was impressed. He has honed his skills and added new techniques. Of course his power is still there.

3. Most who have not seen Canon's ability are still not convinced of this backfields potential. It will double.

4. Swafford gets in space he is gone. Need to get him in space.

5. Steele is a definate deep threat. GC should spend added time on the Seabolt/Steele deep route.

The nature of this offense somewhat disallows the QB to see the field well. When the QB passes he knows who it's going to. Meanwhile the middle was wide open all night. I am thinking TE. I guess GC is so giddy with all his new toys that he didn't know what to play with first. DB came out flat but not for long. I sat on the visitor side. It was mostly Big 8 people. The first open seat I found was beside an '83 DB grad who is now a Farragut cheerleader/baseball player Dad. Just before the interception, Farragut was beat. They were dragging. Heads down, walking, shirt tails out... DB scores here and the slaughter rule takes affect shortly after. I feel bad for their star TB. His knee did not look good. All in all the team played great. I thought GC had a couple of duh moments but he got over it. I'm sure after three or four weeks the machine will be well oiled. DB kicker had a nice evening.

I did not think Farragut was a championship calibre' team. They were very good. But not on DB's level this year. They kept giving the ball to the wrong player.

Anyway, congratulations on a big win and I hope this kickstarts your season.

I love our local rivalry but I also like when most of our community roots one another on when we play out of town teams. We need that mutal respect. I noticed several rival fans stepping up giving credit to the Indians and thats also good to see as well because they did earn it.

My thoughts on our Indians, #8, He is fast and the defenders just bounce off of him. CS is a huge power runner. If the line opens up and he gets a 5 yard run, it will take 4 or 5 to take him down. Seabolt will not be a star stealer. He has been playing with these same guys for years and now is no different. He will do what is best for the team not for himself. Steele, he is a huge deep threat. He is fast and has excellent hands. Cannon has not even started his showing but, will arrive soon. Hall has unbelievable agility. He is a freight train that knocks everybody out of the way. I saw this kid run over his opponet keep going and hit several more blocking up field. Hayworth is a huge stump that you will not move out of that middle. They use him on defense to plug it up and its a brilliant move.The whole Defense, well they are little but mean as Sh**. I love an underdog. They knuckle up and battle with the big dogs and so far have won. Good Job Tribe, Keep it up :thumb: .

Yes I think I remember that game. I believe the final score was DB 44 - south 0. Somebody correct me if im wrong. :)

Yes, Waco, I think you are correct in the score. It was a big win by the best D-B team in recent history who was ranked # 1 in the state during the season and lost to a 4 seed William Blount in the playoffs that year. I forget the score of the WB opening round playoff game loss. Do you recall it?

I didn't say they didn't make mistakes at Farragut. My statement was that the Farragut staff is better than any staff in upper east tn., outside of Dobyns Bennett. You guys don't really think a staff from up here could of took that team and done any better against DB last night? I mean Stacy Carter is supposed to be the man up here. Do I need to mention last year? Still being civil here. :)

Quit worrying about the Farragut staff. This was a great performance by D-B! Hats off to them. In fact, it may have been the best performance since the game a few years ago .... Waco, I know you can fill in the blank. Hopefully the season will end better this year than that year.

I do think the Tribe can go deep in the playoffs this year. It could be their year but it is a long season. One game at a time and have fun.

I totally agree Comp. This is a talented DB team with room to grow. It’s going to be hard for any team in the Big 8 to match up pound for pound with what they could bring to the table this year. BUT… this ship could sink or swim depending on if Seabolt is willing to play 3rd or maybe even 4th fiddle. On several occasions he kept the ball on option plays when he should have given it up… and I don’t think those were bad reads, just him wanting his share of the spotlight. The new talent in that backfield along with an improved CS will be a tough pill for any opponent to have to defend IF Seabolt (as Comp said) depends on his staff. I don’t know the kids names but #8 is the real deal and I would expect him to get more touches as this season unfolds. He's the closes thing I’ve seen to the kid from Science Hill (Solomon) a few years ago. This kid is going to be exciting to watch in the future. And #1 should be THE return man for the Indians… but his potential will be hampered only by the coaches obvious lack of trust in Seabolts arm. I don’t think DB attempted more than 3 or 4 passes. That's Unbelievable considering their potential. I think the line play was pretty good on both sides of the ball. Farragut was no slouch when it came to talent and size… but they were severally hampered by coaching. It pains me to say this but DB is EASLY the team to beat this year. Of course this comes without seeing any of the other teams in action this year. But I couldn’t imagine any other school being able to put up a comparable cast of players this year. With that being said… Clark will have to step his game up because there are at least three Big 8 coaches that will no doubt bring a much more challenging game plan than you saw from the KNOXVILLE staff! If DB doesn’t walk into the post season undefeated it won’t be because they don’t have the team!!!!

I don't know where to begin to critique your critique. Sean Seabolt is the perfect prototype QB for this offense. He is fast, smart, and unselfish. How much does Georgia Tech throw the ball? I predict the implementation of the Georgia Tech offense will be one of the smartest coaching moves ever in NE TN. It fits this personnel like an Armani suit. Another brilliant coaching move was putting CS at fullback. He hits the hole so fast that he has 5 yards before the nose man can find him. As far as the "three Big 8 coaches" game plans, you can't coach speed. And there is no other team in this conference that is even close to DB's team speed. I don't think there will be a close game in this conference this year. Just calling it like I see it.

Edited by DBTeepee