Teams breaking heat rules

bigredbird

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will tell you the biggest problem. We start playing football a week too early here in TN. If TSSAA really wanted to do something they would never start week 0 before the last Friday in August. Now it would still be hot but starting full pad practices before Aug. 1st is ridiculous. They put in the heat rule last year then they bumped practice up a week this year. They make absolutely no sense.

I will tell you the biggest problem. We start playing football a week too early here in TN. If TSSAA really wanted to do something they would never start week 0 before the last Friday in August. Now it would still be hot but starting full pad practices before Aug. 1st is ridiculous. They put in the heat rule last year then they bumped practice up a week this year. They make absolutely no sense.

I agree completely , it's gonna make for bad football! Its hard to prepare for a full contact sport in a church gym!

I somewhat agree here. Now instead of blaming video games and soft,spoiled kids, I want to pose this question....Could it be the dead period? I mean most of the successful programs train, and train hard during the summer...lifting and conditioning. A coach works his butt off to get his players in the best possible shape, only to have to take two weeks off in the middle of the summer. Now how many kids, regardless of the their dedication, are going to come back in the same shape?

When I played, which wasn't that long ago (late '90's), most of our team worked outside doing physical labor (a majority in the tobacco fields), and then we would go to a marathon practice (we don't do two-a-days in TC). I can't remember anyone dehydrating or checking out. I've heard stories in the early '70's that coaches considered drinking water was a sign of weakness. Just makes you wonder where we are headed in the next 10-20 years?

Are the games cancelled/postponed early in the year because of heat?

Edited by SEVEN

I somewhat agree here. Now instead of blaming video games and soft,spoiled kids, I want to pose this question....Could it be the dead period? I mean most of the successful programs train, and train hard during the summer...lifting and conditioning. A coach works his butt off to get his players in the best possible shape, only to have to take two weeks off in the middle of the summer. Now how many kids, regardless of the their dedication, are going to come back in the same shape?

When I played, which wasn't that long ago (late '90's), most of our team worked outside doing physical labor (a majority in the tobacco fields), and then we would go to a marathon practice (we don't do two-a-days in TC). I can't remember anyone dehydrating or checking out. I've heard stories in the early '70's that coaches considered drinking water was a sign of weakness. Just makes you wonder where we are headed in the next 10-20 years?

Are the games cancelled/postponed early in the year because of heat?

valid points 7, heat records, for those of you that care to dig through the internet for the ones not fabricated for the "global warming agenda", show that the 90's were consistantly hotter than the previous decade.

the dead period does as much to weaken the kids of today as it was intended to protect them. sports drinks today are engineered to replenish lost fluids at 2X the rate of water, but dehydration is sky rocketing and becoming an epidemic?! the math doesn't add up because high school athletes today aren't conditioned for the heat the way they were, as little as, 10 years ago. a large precentage of todays kids have become what we were taught not to become and that's A/C boys. they go home to a 70 degree controlled atmosphere and suck down carbonated drinks throughout the DP which only end up dehydrating them even further on a cellular level. these kids report back in august already dehydrated before they even set foot on the field, and it puts there body in shock trying to reacclimate to a 30 degree change in temperture. the foundation of this epedimic begins with the dead period and is exacerbated throughout by the sedentry time period of inactivity that unsupervised teens are unsurprisingly going to take advantage of.

in the past, july workouts prevented this. it's sad that only the absence of those workouts is what will prove how good of preventive medicine they truly were before. this rise in the instances of heat exhaustion has been brought on just as much by the t$$aa coddling todays kids just as much if not more than they have been by any overzelous coach in the state.

Edited by snoball5278

I agree. I love football and love to get it kicked off, but it is too early. In years passed the first game was always in September. I think TSSAA should go back to that. There was no week 0. It is hot enough in late August early September.

I do agree with a previous poster about kids nowadays being used to air conditioning,etc. I remember growing up my parents never had AC so I was pretty used to the heat. Maybe that explains why I can't take the heat like I used to; I rely on cold air way too much!!

I'm with you SEVEN, late 90's as well... it would be 100 degrees mid August praticing in full pads, we only had alittle over 30 players so we did conditioning like no other, that's how we won our first 3 or 4 games... come the fourth quarter, we were just getting started while the other teams could barely go... we was getting water breaks every 15 minutes to make sure we stayed hydrated...the public in generel has changed, everything and anything is so political now.... It needs to go back to like it was no week zero and the first game being the last Friday in August or maybe even first Friday in September... much rather be playing in cooler weather and take chances playing in cold weather,rain or possible snow come December

As a huge HS baseball fan and Friday night football follower, why not push it all back 3-4 weeks like you all were saying. Friday nights would be much cooler, practice temps would be better (for all outdoor sports), and the baseball fields would have green grass on them. Football at 45 degrees is much better than baseball at 32. And might I add, this living legend guy is a moron. Can CoachT provide a hide button for nuisance posters?