Smith County @ Cheatham County

glover

Smith Co @ Cheatham Co  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Smith Co.
    • Cheatham Co.

Mike Jarreau Field was full tonight as the 2010 Tennessee HSF Season began for Smith County & Cheatham County. The Owls came to Ashland City and left town with a 27-7 victory. The teams traded defensive stops throughout the first 16-17 minutes of the contest and then after the Owls stopped the Cubs and forced a punt Nathan Nuss returned a punt 50+ yards for a TD and the PAT by Adam Johnson gave the Owls a 7-0 lead. Smith County would add to that lead in the final 2 minutes of the half when Lucas Wakefield eluded the Cubs defense and ran into the end zone from 4 yards away. The big play of that drive was a 30+ yard run by Jameson Stevenson. The Johnson PAT gave the Owls a 14-0 lead at halftime. The 2nd half saw some serious action in the 3rd quarter. The opening play sa Gage Scurlock connect with Joshua Johnston on a long pass & catch. The drive ended however when the Cubs defense forced a Smith County turnover. Each team went on to trade punts and then it was the Cubs turn to shine as runs by Shaun Montgomery and Mitchell Potts set up a long touchdown pass of 43 yards from Devin Conner to Thatcher Brinkley. The Mitchell Potts PAT made the score 14-7 Owls with about 2:30 to go in the 3rd quarter. The Cubs did a great job covering the next kickoff when Desmond Swett tackled Wakefield at the 30 yard line for about a 5 yard return. Wakefield was not to be denied though as he took the handoff on the first play of the next drive and raced 70 yards to the endzone for a score. The PAT gave the Owls a 21-7 lead after 3 quarters. The Owls added to the lead in the 4th quarter on a Gage Scurlock TD run and wound up winning 27-7.

I do believe that both teams will know that they were in a FOOTBALL GAME tomorrow morning because there was some big time hitting taking place tonight in Ashland City. Congrats to the Owls on a great win! I believe that the Owls fans who made the trip to Cheatham County were very satisfied with how they were treated tonight and I also think that they left Mike Jarreau Field tonight with a new found respect for Cheatham County Football.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Termite

How did the Owls look tonight?

I'm sure Cheatham was improved.

How did the fans like the stadium? Did ya'll fill it up?

Defense looked good Croz....CC didn't do much damage except for 1 long pass. Offense at times looked good and at times ...well..it's early and I'm sure with this being the 1st game many has played nerves played into it early. They didn't throw too much, and used 4-5 RBs. Sometimes to much jittering around and not getting up the field. CC had some good size and O-line looked better than I thought considering there are 5 new guys there. But coach Tackett always does a great job of handling those guys.SC had the chance to add a couple of more scores, but there was a fumble and stalled drive late with a missed field goal. CC has improved. The stadium looked full and there were lots of SC fans. CC fans are good people. I (myself) don't care for for the fans setting on the same side of the field. York probably has something to do with that.

Next Friday could be interesting......reminds me of the week before 07. Maybe SC can come out with the same results. All streaks end sometime...and G-ville would love to give Maynard his 1st loss to them.....but 12 and 0 sounds better to me.

Smith County Owls Defeat Cheatham County Cubs 27-7 In Season Opener For Both Teams

Here is the recap which was posted to the Cheatham County Cubs Football Fan Page just a few moments ago. It was a great night for high school football to open this 2010 season. Hope both teams grew from it and find a way to move forward and go on to have solid seasons. Only time will tell us that answer!

Howdy, I enjoyed my trip to Ashland City to watch the opening game. The game went about the way I thought it might. SC is young with a bunch of

potential. I'm looking forward to watching as they go from good to, potentially, great! You guys will win games this year. Your size and

physical play will pay dividends, sooner rather than later, is my prediction. The Cubs are field several players that will give folks problems.

You did a great job with your broadcast. You even mentioned me on the air. I told several folks the station, so I know I wasn't alone. I enjoyed listening!! Good luck to your team this season. Hope all the best for program.

Howdy, I enjoyed my trip to Ashland City to watch the opening game. The game went about the way I thought it might. SC is young with a bunch of

potential. I'm looking forward to watching as they go from good to, potentially, great! You guys will win games this year. Your size and

physical play will pay dividends, sooner rather than later, is my prediction. The Cubs are field several players that will give folks problems.

You did a great job with your broadcast. You even mentioned me on the air. I told several folks the station, so I know I wasn't alone. I enjoyed listening!! Good luck to your team this season. Hope all the best for program.

Thank you for the kind words imallin. It was a great night for sure. Smith County is once again going to have a very good season. They have 3 outstanding receivers, a dynamic duo at running back, and a player at QB who is both athletic and can throw it. The Owls main strength is their play up front. The kid playing TE/DT is an amazing high school football player who will dominate all season long. The linebackers never seem to miss tackles when plays come their way. I look for the Owls to likely win District 8-AA and make another deep run in the TSSAA State Playoffs. Coach Maynord and his staff do a great job and the people of Carthage support their football team like crazy. I love that about the SCHS community! Best wishes the rest of the way!

Even tho we won last year fairly easy, the coaches felt CC was a physical team. They have so many players back and have to be improved from last year, they possibly will be much improved. I don't think it will be a pushover by any means. CC will be ready to play. If we are not ready, it could be a long night.

Well, just like I thought - Owls would have to play a very good game to win. CC is VERY much improved. They are more physixal this year with the experience and they have Shawn Montgomery playing. He didn't play last year (knee) and he makes a big difference on defense as well as offense. He is a big, 5'10' and 190 lbs, strong and very hard running back. Their defense is very physical and very big. This game really helped the Owls because they had to block, tackle and not make mistakes to win. We got hit hard, but CC got hit harder. Atmosphere was great - several cc fans said they couldn't remember a larger crown at CC. Our offense loooked good, considering cc's defense. Howdy, CC has a lot of friendly people and good luck to the Cubs this year as you will win games this year.

What is Cheatham Co running on offense. I thought they were a spread team and throwing the ball alot. The stats said they only threw the ball 5 times and ran it 33 times. What kind of offense are they running?

jk6, they run the veer with split backs. #10, Shawn Montgomery, is a big strong back that is hard to stop. He can take it to the house on any play. He is big and strong. On the left side is tdhe Potts kid who can also run the ball. No, they are not a throwing team - they pound the ball right at you. Also, their defense did a good job against us ( Smith County).