Let's get talking Memphis area High School Football!

fourthree

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The season is upon us; let's get talking about Memphis and Shelby County teams! I really want to hear about the inner-city programs. It is good to be back!

You are right, It is GREAT to be back! There is a lot to talk about with all the coaching changes in the Memphis area. I think that both Duron Sutton (Ridgeway) and Lynard Crutchfield (Woodale) are great hires for both teams. Sutton did an outstanding job at Kingsbury before politics ended his tenor there. Crutchfield did an excellent job at Cordova before leaving to take a job in Mississippi. It's good to see him back in the Memphis area. He will continue to build on Woodale's recent success. It's not going to seem right to look over at the Collierville sidelines and not see Paul Cox. Sean Abel will be the man that follows the man so to speak. He has been a long time assistant and is probably well deserving of his shot. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of changes if any he makes to the Collierville program. My Trojans have a new man in charge of the sidelines as well. Chris Michael is the New HC at Millington. He has made a huge difference in a short period of time. This has been the best off-season and pre-season in recent memory for the Trojans. The Jamboree's are tonight. I have alway's enjoyed the huge crowds and excitement of the jamborees here in the county.

Go Trojans!

You are right, It is GREAT to be back! There is a lot to talk about with all the coaching changes in the Memphis area. I think that both Duron Sutton (Ridgeway) and Lynard Crutchfield (Woodale) are great hires for both teams. Sutton did an outstanding job at Kingsbury before politics ended his tenor there. Crutchfield did an excellent job at Cordova before leaving to take a job in Mississippi. It's good to see him back in the Memphis area. He will continue to build on Woodale's recent success. It's not going to seem right to look over at the Collierville sidelines and not see Paul Cox. Sean Abel will be the man that follows the man so to speak. He has been a long time assistant and is probably well deserving of his shot. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of changes if any he makes to the Collierville program. My Trojans have a new man in charge of the sidelines as well. Chris Michael is the New HC at Millington. He has made a huge difference in a short period of time. This has been the best off-season and pre-season in recent memory for the Trojans. The Jamboree's are tonight. I have alway's enjoyed the huge crowds and excitement of the jamborees here in the county.

Since your a trojan fan, are they gonna be real good this year?

Go Trojans!

It's going to be.a fun year! I am not going to make any outlandish predictions, but it appears that this team is very coachable which is a key ingredient to success. I am looking forward to seeing our playmakers make plays on both sides of the ball.

Go Trojans!

Edited by Rob_M

It's not going to seem right to look over at the Collierville sidelines and not see Paul Cox. Sean Abel will be the man that follows the man so to speak. He has been a long time assistant and is probably well deserving of his shot. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of changes if any he makes to the Collierville program.

Go Trojans!

I believe you'll see some changes with Collierville. I expect them to open it up a little more on offense.

The season is upon us; let's get talking about Memphis and Shelby County teams! I really want to hear about the inner-city programs. It is good to be back!

I saw all but the first 2 games of the MIAA Jamboree -- Day #1. Here is how I'd rank the teams:

----------------------------------------

1) Ridgeway -- Most dominant and impressive offensive line play that I saw, all night long! Completely manhandled Melrose's defensive front, ramming the ball down their throats, AT WILL... Passing game = non-factor, but not necessary; defense was not as impressive as its OL, but still managed to make Melrose one-dimensional (pass)...

2) White Station -- defense was solid vs the Run but got absolutely GASHED vs the pass! Offensively, they ran and passed consistently but was plagued by untimely turnovers. Offense appears a bit behind its defense, at this point, but still managed to move the ball successfully.

3) Kirby -- the QB was very poised and as a sharp as a tack, except for one ill-advised pass (INT) into double-coverage. Their WR (#1) had hands like Velcro! That kid's a baller. They consistently moved the ball thru the air but could not punch it in, once in the Red Zone... Run-game = poor... Defense = weak. They were aided by WS' drive-killing turnovers.

4) Kingsbury -- (Note: opponent was BTW, so I'm still not sold on Kingsbury). QB and WR are a deadly duo! The QB was deadly accurate, especially with the deep ball.....Defense was swarming and stunting a lot. They seemed to get out of position a lot, but BTW did not have the personnel to take advantage of it...

5) Melrose -- They might deserve to go below Craigmont, except Melrose's QB has the ability to keep his team in ballgames.... Still penalty-plagued; Defensively = the WORST that I have EVER seen a Melrose defense perform! They need a whole lot of work... Running game was suspect, only 1 good run. Otherwise, RW shut it down... I honestly sense a very long, frustrating and below-average season for Melrose...unless its defense improves DRASTICALLY!

Melrose...Wow, how the mighty have fallen (or so it appears).

6) Craigmont -- Ho-Hum sort of team. Self-destructed very often on offense... Nothing was special about them at all, although they kept Trezevant's offense in check all night long (Trezevant scored off a defensive fumble-recovery).... Like Kingsbury, Craigmont did not really play a stout team, IMHO. Thus, take Craigmont's defensive effort with a grain of salt!

----------------------------------------

As for Day #2 of the Jamboree, tomorrow night...I'm not sure I'll be able to attend, though I'd love to see East, Whitehaven, Mitchell and Woodale.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now that we have played some REAL football and not jamborees, I think it is safe to assume you can throw out jamboree results. We took ZERO stock in what the jamboree showed us. We knew what we were capable of doing and knew we had a better squad than Kirby. That being said, there were a couple of surprises for me this weekend.

Bartlett apparently dominated Bolton. But whether Bartlett is that good or Bolton is that bad is yet to be determined. Coach Welch usually has his teams ready to play, so I am going to just assume that Bartlett is that good for the time being. But I'm glad Coach Armbruster started off strong for the Panthers.

Trezevant thumped Houston. This could be another situation of Houston being down, but still not too bad of a win for Trezevant. Do we still think they are a bad team?

Briarcrest survived against White Station. From what I had heard about White Station, they would not be close to where they were last year but they seemed to hold their own against a pretty good Briarcrest team. What surprised me about this one was what someone said about Briarcrest being ineffective passing the ball. I thought Trey Becton (#1) would have a big game. But apparently I was wrong.

But the biggest surprise of the first week by far for me was Overton going into Arlington and beating them. I was told that Arlington would likely struggle on defense this year, but to lose to a team that won I believe 1 game all last season is a big shocker. I understand that Arlington turned the ball over alot including 4 picks by the "starting" QB. Wonder how long he will hold on to that role?

Briarcrest survived against White Station. From what I had heard about White Station, they would not be close to where they were last year but they seemed to hold their own against a pretty good Briarcrest team. What surprised me about this one was what someone said about Briarcrest being ineffective passing the ball. I thought Trey Becton (#1) would have a big game. But apparently I was wrong.

I was expecting Becton to have a big game too. They used him on kick returns, and WS wisely kicked away from him. Offensivley, they had him at reciever, and he was open when they went to him. (He scored the winning TD in OT) It really seemed to me that when Briarcrest went to pass, either the QB didn't have time, and when he did, he just wasn't synched up real well with his receivers. WS's defense did ok, but the D-line wore down and once that happened, running became an attractive option for Briacrest. Both teams left several scoring opportunities out there. They've both got work to do....but guess that's to be expected.

Well, now that we have played some REAL football and not jamborees, I think it is safe to assume you can throw out jamboree results. We took ZERO stock in what the jamboree showed us. We knew what we were capable of doing and knew we had a better squad than Kirby. That being said, there were a couple of surprises for me this weekend.

Bartlett apparently dominated Bolton. But whether Bartlett is that good or Bolton is that bad is yet to be determined. Coach Welch usually has his teams ready to play, so I am going to just assume that Bartlett is that good for the time being. But I'm glad Coach Armbruster started off strong for the Panthers.

Trezevant thumped Houston. This could be another situation of Houston being down, but still not too bad of a win for Trezevant. Do we still think they are a bad team?

But the biggest surprise of the first week by far for me was Overton going into Arlington and beating them. I was told that Arlington would likely struggle on defense this year, but to lose to a team that won I believe 1 game all last season is a big shocker. I understand that Arlington turned the ball over alot including 4 picks by the "starting" QB. Wonder how long he will hold on to that role?

GoChiefs,

Craigmont put forth a pretty solid, real-game performance and proved that they are a much better team than Kirby, and much better than demonstrated during the Jamboree. Great effort. Kudos to the Chiefs.

While I know that the season is very young and the jury is still out...looking at Craigmont's schedule, it is totally conceivable that the Chiefs could run the regular-season table. Of course, Cordova and Millington both loom as perennial road blocks. Meanwhile, I suspect that Craigmont will be perfectly content to just continue flying underneath the radar of most football pundits.

GoChiefs,

Craigmont put forth a pretty solid, real-game performance and proved that they are a much better team than Kirby, and much better than demonstrated during the Jamboree. Great effort. Kudos to the Chiefs.

While I know that the season is very young and the jury is still out...looking at Craigmont's schedule, it is totally conceivable that the Chiefs could run the regular-season table. Of course, Cordova and Millington both loom as perennial road blocks. Meanwhile, I suspect that Craigmont will be perfectly content to just continue flying underneath the radar of most football pundits.

Thanks Trader. Couldn't have said it better myself....except for running the table. Briarcrest looks like they are improved and I haven't seen any film or heard a whole lot about their game against Brentwood Academy, but Kingsbury kind of worries me now. But I agree that Millington is a big road block in our way for the district. We'll just take it one week at a time and put our kids in the best position to succeed and hope they do.