Memphis Central

MTOWN21

I realize this might be a little off point and I don't have a horse in this race; however, isn't "high academic standards" and Memphis city schools an oxymoron? To be fair, I've heard White Station is a good school academically, but I've never heard any other non-privates mentioned as such...Regardless, Memphis high schools have been known as long as I can remember for stacking various athletic teams with 'out of zone' players. Just sayin'...

Obviously you don't know more than the negative headlines about Memphis City Schools. Memphis produces its share of highly motivated academic achievers. Yes, White Station is an excellent school with students accepted by universities around the country and graduates earning over $25 million is scholarships, but so is Whitehaven on the other side of town whose graduates earned just above $20 million. Ridgeway High School's International Baccalaureate program makes it one of the most competetive high schools in the state, and Central High School has a proud history of academic success. Sure Memphis City Schools has its problems, it's the poorest district in the state for one, but let's not stigmatize the students who strive to beat the odds both on the field and in the classroom.

Memphis is not open zoned, but Central for example is an Optional school with a College Prep program. Students are zoned for the Central High district, but students can also apply under the Optional program. But not any player can come just cause they apply, there are high academic standards for those that get an Optional transfer.

If you can play they will get you in. You know it...

• 2 weeks later...

I am going on record to say.............

Memphis Central will dominate every team they face (in state) this year.

With the talent they have coming back and the freshman class coming in, no one will come within 15pts of beating them.

Boom.....1st shot fired!

OH, Humm, so so MC is going to travel again out of state this year instead of playing the tuff teams in State. I thought all of this noise meant something. Yu must have loaded up over the summer, The rest of us will till you get back, if you make it out of District and Region.

OH, Humm, so so MC is going to travel again out of state this year instead of playing the tuff teams in State. I thought all of this noise meant something. Yu must have loaded up over the summer, The rest of us will till you get back, if you make it out of District and Region.

PHargis

Be nice, I am hoping my team matches up with them in Hawaii, my new school vs my old school, so it is ok to venture out of the state. I understand what you are saying, but also remember some of these experience are so awesome for the kids, it is not exactly fair to turn down an invitation to play in a Nike tourney in Hawaii and Phoenix to play in state competition.

As far as MC is concerned, they are coming to MT in November but it will be interesting to see who they play. The same thing happened last year with West posting of their expertise and MC who never made it to MT except at STATE and it was too late. In November 30 schools are hosted by Riverdale. It becomes what is important, some joy ride trips to Hawaii or making a statement with in State play and a chance to win a State Tournament. Or maybe its just an incentive for a school to find a way to load up on players. So last year West takes players to Phoenix only to get injuries. Could have gotten injuries in state. Could have cost them a State Tournament. MC also had injuries but didn't hear where they were at Phoenix. What incentive does Nike have over the school in Hawaii? Something sure sounds wrong transporting teams to Hawaii for exposure to College Coaches who also take the same trips and the event is sponsered by a shoe company. Seems as if Tennessee Coaches are trying to do it right and it seems in the Riverdale event with 30 schools, there will be plenty of chance and it will be a reasonable trip. Just wondering how many other long trips MC is maing this fall. Cleveland? Washington DC? Chicago? Who is bankrolling all of this? Priorities are being set.

Edited by PHargis

Whats wrong with them taking trips? I think its a good idea to take teams to travel its a good experience. I would have loved to go to hawaii for a bball tourney when i was in high school. Heck I know its not Hawaii or arizona but Rockvale middles bball teams are going to chattanooga for a game. good experience for the kids

National competition gets teams national coverage for their players and their program, that's a good thing. Memphis Central is hosting the Turkey Jamm again this November where in-state schools will, once again, face competition from around the country. It was very successful last year with excellent ESPN coverage of the event. Good luck to any Tennessee team playing in Hawaii or anywhere else they can represent our state.

If a person is too small to see the advantages, then it's probably best they don't venture beyond the stateline.