Alcoa 64 Middlesboro 0?

OmahaVol

How can you say that when your team scheduled and beat McCallie TWICE this decade? No one throws around more financial aid money than McCallie. And yet "poor little Alcoa" with what....300 students? whipped them twice. I mean McCallie entered that game with my guess a 4:1 advantage in male students. Throw in financial aid?!?!?!? That's not even a fair fight, right? You at Alcoa should have been worried about your players' safety, much less actually competing in the game....but lo and behold, Alcoa won....TWICE.

So if tiny Alcoa can do it? Why can't Maryville? Why can't Riverdale? Why can't Brentwood High? Alcoa should be the inspiration to everyone in the state. What better bragging rights than Alcoa playing and winning those two games? Ditto for Oakland, Smyrna, Ravenwood, LaVergne, Independence, etc., as big-time d1 teams willing to put it on the line against d2 teams.

I'm telling you the travesty here is that Rankin is going to ruin that part of your tradition. The king schedule ducker of all time taking over the most fearless program in the state. Just remember Alcoa was Alcoa long before he showed up.

Valid points but do keep in mind that McCallie has traditionally been a very marginal DII competitor when it comes to football.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A case in point of the futility of these arguments: it’s the cherry-picking.

You give an example of Alcoa over a 21-year period. But, in the next breath, you back MBA and McCallie and BA into a one-year (this year) corner. Look at those schools over 21 years (or 13 DII years) and make it apples-to-apples. Smyrna? BA beat that butt a few years ago. Oakland? BA and MBA did the same to them this decade. Examples galore if you look.

Why is MBA and McCallie "playing down" to DI 3A schools? An Alcoa person doesn’t need to ask that. When you get your hat handed to you for years, you cry uncle. And when the bigger DI schools continue to cry uncle, you have to go down the food chain. Or out of state. The fact you’re trying to paint 2010 as a proxy for all-time is preposterous, plain and simple, and underscores the futility.

So Alcoa is undefeated against DII schools over that period (the period only goes back 13 years; DII didn’t exist 21 years ago)? Great. They are in the minority. You can’t pass off what one school has done as a trend. Look at all DI schools and their records. Look at all DII schools and their records. Where is the trend over the whole sample over multiple years?

Want more respect? Give some. Others deserve it. Quite a bit in many cases.

Yes, Alcoa does lose a lot of these mythical matchups. I think I read on another thread about Alcoa being 0-100 in these mythical matchups. Obviously, that’s not realistic. But that 0 in the win column gets about 330 wins added to it when the mythical claims of “best in any class†arise.

Love ya, man, but you’re not winning the scheduling argument with anyone who doesn’t have ties to Alcoa or MBA. And for those without a bias, start at the link below. I had to abandon this project to take on other tasks – primarily digging deeper into the illustrious histories of many DI SCHOOLS like Alcoa, D-B, etc. – but it’s a good enough start, and I can assure anyone the trends continue in 2005 and beyond, which will be borne out when I can finish. Click on the year headers and see the schools played by DII schools. It ain’t exactly Harpeth Hall and GPS.

DII Records

Ok....you throw out your cherry picked list of DII wins and mythical matchups and I'll throw out my cherry picked list of DI wins. And we stick to FACTS only.

Alcoa has beat all privates schools and DII schools the last 21 years! :thumb:

Ok....you throw out your cherry picked list of DII wins and mythical matchups and I'll throw out my cherry picked list of DI wins. And we stick to FACTS only.

Alcoa has beat all privates schools and DII schools the last 21 years! :thumb:

Good grief. You make a smart-a(leck) remark about FACTS and then throw out FICTION in the next breath.

Seriously, if you're going be a wiseacre, at least check your numbers.

And people wonder why we roll our eyes sometimes.

Have at it, cronies - come to the defense of your guy. I don't know how you can in this instance, but I know you will find a way.

And I'm really gone this time. This thread is a stage that DII definitely cannot compete on.

Edited by rollredroll